New iMacs - when?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum and (soon to be, hopefully) new to Mac. I had anticipated a release of an updated iMac last week - and so I had moved my Windows machine into the living room letting it serve as a mediacenter PC, a task at which it's very good (and I had also sold it's powerfull processor replacing it with a more modest one that produces less heat and thus is more silent). Now, however, I have got no powerfull computer for my music composing and video editing, since I had planned on getting a new iMac now (my mistake, I know)

I know that probably noone can tell really, but I'll try my luck in this forum anyway: Does anyone know when an updated version will come out? I really really need it.

Best,

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Nope, nobody knows really. Everybody hopes it'll be within the next month though, but seeing how long the mini has remained unupdated, there's no way to make a good calculated estimation.

If you really really need it now, buy the current one, or look for a recent second hand one or a refurbished one.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    A lot of people seem to think that new desktops will be launched this month, or early into the next...

Apple simply didn't launch them at macworld out of, well, spite. judging from the comments made by apple employees in the past few weeks.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Think77 View Post

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum and (soon to be, hopefully) new to Mac. I had anticipated a release of an updated iMac last week - and so I had moved my Windows machine into the living room letting it serve as a mediacenter PC, a task at which it's very good (and I had also sold it's powerfull processor replacing it with a more modest one that produces less heat and thus is more silent). Now, however, I have got no powerfull computer for my music composing and video editing, since I had planned on getting a new iMac now (my mistake, I know)

I know that probably noone can tell really, but I'll try my luck in this forum anyway: Does anyone now when an updated version will come out? I really really need it.

Best,

Dude, Please refer to this website as guidance:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Well, it could be that every coming Tuesday, Apple will introduce new products. Especially closed to Apple's 25th Anniversaries (24-25 Jan). Well this is the most anticipated dates so far (based on friends, colleagues, and Google).

On contrary, I wouldn't suggest you to buy Mac now, especially on this economy down turn.

If you need it that badly, just RENT it.

Trust me you won't regret it....

If you buy today and a new iMac comes in the next 2-3 days, you will feel a lot of bitterness.

Just rent it for a while.

I am also waiting for the new iMac...

Supposed if until the end of January, imac is still not updated then, by all means, I will go to XPS One (Dell).

No hard feeling...I just don't feel that Apple is credible anymore....
  • Reply 4 of 8
    The updated iMac and Mac mini will probably get released later this month after iLife '09 is released. Apple does not want to release updated Mac models that would come with iLife '08 installed when iLife '09 has been announced because it would be too much of an inconvenience to Apple and its customers; however, people who do purchase a new Mac between the keynote and the release of iLife '09 can "upgrade" to the new iLife suite for $12.00(?).

While many people would pay the extra to get the newest iLife suite, there would probably be just as many, if not more, that would not upgrade, and you know Apple wants to latest version out in the wild wowing potential new customers to get a Mac and current Mac users to get the Leopard pack, or better yet, purchase a new Mac.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Thank you all for replying :-)

From your replies it seems that Apple is probably going to launch an updated iMac within the next month (I know, off course, that in the end we can only be guessing), and coupled with the fact that buyersguide doesn't recommend to buy one of the current models at this time, I guess it's wisest to wait for the updated version... Anyway, I guess that the good thing about the delay is that it's going to come preinstalled with iLife '09, which looks really nice - although that's definately not the number one priority for me right now.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I don't have any insider information, but I'd like to get a new computer as a graduation present so hopefully they'll update within the next three months. The real question is, when will they come out with Snow Leopard? I hope at the same time as the new iMac....
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I haven't been following the new 'mini and iMac as closely as I normally would - I went ahead and got an iMac in Oct.

But.. Isn't Intel supposed to have some new chips ?? Maybe Apple is waiting on this. It would have been nice to hear an ETA at MacWorld though. If I WAS in the market, I would prefer things be delayed a few weeks and get the best possible release than to have "buyer's remorse" if a new Intel chip came out a few weeks after an iMac or MacMini release.

If you haven't read it, get a copy of "Mythical Man-month" (by Brooks if I recall). It's an older book but it has things like "if you want to have a baby in 1 month, you can't put 9 women on it". In other words, things take a certain amount of time - no matter how fast you'd like it to happen.

Apple has created it's own monster - it's products are so good that people expect to be WOW'ed each and every time all the time. We gotta cut them some slack to do all of their work behind the scenes - it does (no doubt) take LOTS of development effort to make things look simple, obvious, seemless, etc. That's why we pay a premium - so that we don't have to get into the details of things as much. The Windows world can't say that.

While I am on my soapbox, let me say something about/to Steve Jobs. Steve has been a great captain of a great ship - but I think he'd be the first to tell us that he's not doing it alone by any means. Personally, if I was Steve, I'd kick back on a beach somewhere - regardless of any health problems. Apple has a great reputation with or without Steve and that's going to go on regardless. In other words, I don't think the value of Apple is going to significantly change whether or not Steve is at the helm. While I'd like to see him be there forever, he's human like the rest of us. Any one of us Mac nuts could have gotten up last week and done the keynote - they key is the excitement we bring to the table. Thanks Steve and I personally support you no matter what your future with Apple is - take care of yourself first. (This is coming from a person who has a fair amount of Apple stock (for me) - I think there's no where to go but up)

What was I talking about ?? Well, I better stop then...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    There are rumors that iLife '09 has now gone golden master.

That means it's probably being added to hard drives in China right now.

Apple has a big conference call on Wednesday and they know everyone will want to know where the desktops are.

I say Tuesday is probably the day for the iMac, and possibly the Mini. The Mac Pro will wait for the new chips in March.