No new Mac Mini or iMac

Comments

• Reply 121 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Expat View Post

Sure, we all love apple's design, and a new case would be welcomed, but who in their right mind goes OVER 500 DAYS without refreshing the specs on a desktop? A year and a half is an eternity in the computer/electronics world, so I have no idea what they are thinking.

I think you said it best.. Who wants to go buy a new iMac or Mac Mini that's already outdated before you buy it?? I was really hoping for speed bumps on the iMac line instead of waiting, waiting, waiting.. I'll go buy an iMac tomorrow and then two weeks later they'll maybe release new ones.. Seems silly..
  • Reply 122 of 240
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    As a rule of thumb technology doubles every 18 months... About the amount of time since the last mini update... That's extremely sad.

With that being said... The current mini has a discontinued processor. If apple is still selling them, they have an abundance and are trying to clear inventory. Sad it has taken this long!
  • Reply 123 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

Do you think they don't have an engineer or two to swap out interchangeable components with something newer?

Do they not have a technician to spare who can change the price in their sales channels?

Do you think the entire Apple, Inc. is focused just on doing one thing at a time?

"They've been busy" -- What the hell does that even mean? "They" are a multi-billion dollar corporation with teams of engineers for every product they sell, not some guy in his basement with a soldering iron and screwdriver!

I'm sorry, but at this point there is NOOOO excuse for them not to have updated or lowered the price.

Apple don't want to reduce price so they don't lose their pride...

Look it at Project Hackintosh....You could build a Mac under $800....

So Why don't Steve Jobs care ???

I have no idea.....If January, still no new product...I WILL BUY DELL....end of story
  • Reply 124 of 240
    To everyone here that's frustrated about the mac mini, I recommend you let Apple know your feelings. It's more likely to have an effect than just posting in this forum.

You can leave feedback at:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Let them know that you are tired of being held hostage to overpriced outdated hardware just because of your preference for OS X!
  • Reply 125 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the_steve View Post

To everyone here that's frustrated about the mac mini, I recommend you let Apple know your feelings. It's more likely to have an effect than just posting in this forum.

Let them know that you are tired of being held hostage to overpriced outdated hardware just because of your preference for OS X!

No way Hose...

They way I see it Apple just don't care about customer any more.....

Please look at the case where Apple got sue over defective iMac displays.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._displays.html

And if the Apple's share is keep going down....

Sayonara Jobs
  • Reply 126 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the_steve View Post

I'm tired of the whole desktop line being outdated.. Seriously, the iMac, Mac Mini, and Mac Pro models are all old.
  • Reply 127 of 240
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I'm just surprised so many are so wrapped up in the fact that their preferred new hardware wasn't available in the first week of January. Instead people should focus on what is being developed and announced around Apple and what is happening on Tuesdays of each week.

Heard the same thing in August, except replace January with August. You're new to concept of waiting 2 years for Apple to update its only consumer desktop that ships without a monitor, eh?

We all are... We all are.

As for Atom in the Mac Mini, I'd rather buy a PowerMac 9600 or even 8600. Remember they had both composite and s-video out and inputs? Someone mentioned that Apple doesn't really make desktop computers. I didn't think I'd have nostalgia for the days when Apple was going out of business, but I do.
  • Reply 128 of 240
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phong View Post

As for Atom in the Mac Mini, I'd rather buy a PowerMac 9600 or even 8600. Remember they had both composite and s-video out and inputs? Someone mentioned that Apple doesn't really make desktop computers. I didn't think I'd have nostalgia for the days when Apple was going out of business, but I do.

Hey, if I could have a performa with a 3.2 core duo and 8 gigs of ram I'd buy one.
  • Reply 129 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haryanto2007 View Post

Sayonara Jobs

Ahh, so Jobs is now to blame for the GLOBAL economic downturn.. RIIIIIGHT
  • Reply 130 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haryanto2007 View Post

No way Hose...

They way I see it Apple just don't care about customer any more.....

Please look at the case where Apple got sue over defective iMac displays.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._displays.html

Sayonara Jobs

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Ahh, so Jobs is now to blame for the GLOBAL economic downturn.. RIIIIIGHT

I'm not sure that's what he was saying. I think it would be a mistake to assume that any decrease in share price or sales volume is just because of the economy. It will be a shame if Apple reads the data that way. Their pricing policy on very old hardware is extremely out of touch with the real world. Frankly, it's arrogant and more than a little offensive.
  • Reply 131 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

I'm not sure that's what he was saying. I think it would be a mistake to assume that any decrease in share price or sales volume is just because of the economy. It will be a shame if Apple reads the data that way. Their pricing policy on very old hardware is extremely out of touch with the real world. Frankly, it's arrogant and more than a little offensive.

I was in my local Apple Store today and all the salespeople were in agreement that the entire desktop line is outdated. They seemed to think that based on inventory levels that the iMacs were due for a refresh soon. I wonder how feasible it would be to include the LED display. I simply could not get over how crisp the 24" Cinema LED display looked..
  • Reply 132 of 240
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    This behavior of not wanting to sell a Mac without a monitor does appear to be a Jobs thing. When Jobs was gone, that was Apple's core. Now everything has to be all-in-one. I don't get it. It's not environmentally friendly to have redundant displays around the house, but it is an excuse to have higher margins.

Another businessman would look at the market logically and think, "yes, perhaps there are people who don't need a display every time they buy a new Mac." I'd have to think that, if Phil were CEO, the Mini would see regular updates, even though I don't have any evidence for that.
  • Reply 133 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phong View Post

This behavior of not wanting to sell a Mac without a monitor does appear to be a Jobs thing. When Jobs was gone, that was Apple's core. Now everything has to be all-in-one. I don't get it. It's not environmentally friendly to have redundant displays around the house, but it is an excuse to have higher margins.

Another businessman would look at the market logically and think, "yes, perhaps there are people who don't need a display every time they buy a new Mac." I'd have to think that, if Phil were CEO, the Mini would see regular updates, even though I don't have any evidence for that.

Totally Agreed...

Steve Jobs is truly salesman...

He tried to sell you everything in one bunch even if you don't need another LCD.

With that, he got more revenues also from selling older hardware with premium price...

C'mmon Steve: be reasonable...
  • Reply 134 of 240
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    I, too, was ready to buy a new Mac Mini the moment the keynote was over, only to be disappointed. I'm still in PowerPC land, rocking a PMG5 and a PowerBook G4. I also keep an 4-year old custom build Windows XP PC for some tasks. I was really hoping to get an updated Mac Mini so I can use it as my primary Mac, repurposing the G5 as a home theater machine, and get rid of the Windows XP machine.

I think Apple is waiting for enough unibody 13" Macbook and 15" Macbook Pro sales before releasing an updated Mac Mini.

I strongly suspect that the upcoming Mac Mini will be similar to the unibody 13" Macbook's chipset/processing hardware, the only difference being the form factor and the lack of a screen.

(If they posted a Mac Mini with those specs, I'd gladly part with some cash.)

Apple's probably going to wait until April to cash in on tax refunds, graduation presents/money, and possibly even an economic stimulus check, to usher in a new Mac Mini.
  • Reply 135 of 240
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Think about it guys, if Apple really wanted to milk some free plublicity wouldn't they simply hold off for the Macs big anniversary? I'm not sure why the expectations for new Macs, at MWSF, should have lead to disappointments. This considering Apples announcements prior to the show.

Sure it is good to have desire for new machines and to speculate about what they may be. Objectively though you really can't be disappointed as Apple was clear that the show doesn't mean much to them anymore. Apple went about as far as they could here without spilling the beans.

The time to worry here is when the snow has melted and the girls are wearing their Bikinis. Frankly if you are more worried about a Mac then relative to the Bikini you have trouble. So just don't worry or get your emotions wrapped up in this, there are a lot better things to have on your mind.

Dave
  • Reply 136 of 240
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

The time to worry here is when the snow has melted and the girls are wearing their Bikinis. Frankly if you are more worried about a Mac then relative to the Bikini you have trouble. So just don't worry or get your emotions wrapped up in this, there are a lot better things to have on your mind.

Dave

Bah, I'm married and married men can't spend their days thinking about sex because our wives don't put out as much after the ceremony, and we'd just go insane checking out bikini-clad 20-somethings without the proper outlet.

So I just want a new Mac Mini.
  • Reply 137 of 240
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Nobody seems to mention what might be a key facto rin all this: production of the NVidia chipset needs to ramp up a bit more before they can offer it across the line.

This however doesn't mean I agree with Apple's strategies and policies, I'm with most of you guys on that one
  • Reply 138 of 240
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post

Bah, I'm married and married men can't spend their days thinking about sex because our wives don't put out as much after the ceremony,

Does she have a sister?

Quote:

and we'd just go insane checking out bikini-clad 20-somethings without the proper outlet.

How do you avoid the issue in the summertime, hide in the basement? I mean really if the nieghbors teenage daughter is bouncing around in the back yard, you better find an outlet for that stimulation. Explain to the wife it isn't for her enjoyment but to keep you out of jail.

Quote:

So I just want a new Mac Mini.

I want something from Apple in the form of a tablet myself. I just don't want to shut out the rest of the world thinking about it. If Apple kicked the bucket tomorrow I'd still be fine.

Dave
  • Reply 139 of 240
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    Yeah, I'm still a dreamer in that I want an xMac and netbook, but I might be willing to settle for a Mini if it has the right specs.

That being said, if Snow Leopard comes out, and it works on Psystar, I'm likely going that way. I can't stand Windows, I want a computer capable of holding 2 hard drives, has current processors, and costs less than 2 grand - and it looks like Psystar is the only way to go.
  • Reply 140 of 240
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Expat View Post

Yeah, I'm still a dreamer in that I want an xMac and netbook, but I might be willing to settle for a Mini if it has the right specs.

That being said, if Snow Leopard comes out, and it works on Psystar, I'm likely going that way. I can't stand Windows, I want a computer capable of holding 2 hard drives, has current processors, and costs less than 2 grand - and it looks like Psystar is the only way to go.

Why don't you just build your own rather than support some leach of a company? It may be nice to save money but Psystar does not have a future. If you're not guaranteed support then you may as well build your own.