CES tempting Apple-related electronics makers from Macworld

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
No matter Apple's plans to attend CES on its own, those accessory builders who once only attended Macworld are being offered a chance to exhibit in a special section of the larger Las Vegas show.

Jason Oxman from the Consumer Electronics Association, which manages CES, told CNET this weekend that the organization has set aside a portion of the show floor for "Apple-related" electronics.

The official doesn't name any of the firms or clarify whether any of these are dropping one trade show for another. However, he explains that the decision to launch a unique section is the result of talks regarding "2010 show participation" and that many of the companies involved have been receptive.

"We are pleased with the feedback we've received regarding this [Apple-friendly] space," Oxman says.

The news follows a troublesome Macworld Expo for its host IDG, which saw Adobe, Belkin and others pull their booths from the show late into the run-up for the San Francisco gathering. In a number of these cases the reasons for withdrawing are known to be strategic decisions unrelated to the expenses of running the booths or to the poor economy.

It also potentially signals a broader shift away from an Apple-specific presentation by both third parties and Apple itself. The Mac maker is believed by sources of AppleInsider to be attending CES itself and so would create an incentive for related companies to attend the event themselves.

Oxman declines to comment on whether or not Apple will exhibit at CES, but does observe that Apple is already a CEA member and has a "longstanding relationship" with the technology promotion group.

Apple for its part has never hinted at making such a shift and publicly claims that its withdrawal from Macworld Expo is a lessened need for trade shows.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Apple, Adobe, Belkin to IDG ... "It's too late to apologise.... It's too late... yeaahhhh" (like that song)

Also, w00t first post! Been a while.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    I"m just messing around, not sure if IDG actually did anything wrong to fail to attract/ negotiate with the marquee brands.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    My guess is that Apple will come LARGE to CES and take it over from a hype standpoint. If Jobs gets healthy enough, I would imagine a strong keynote performance that would see the launch of the next big thing from Apple. If anyone saw the live blog of the Dell Adamo disaster non-launch, it will not take much effort for Apple to dominate this event. Maybe they will launch HDTV displays and tablet/netbook device in addition to new generations of mac, ipods, iphones. With the broad range of products Apple now offers, seems like an invasion of CES is a smart move.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    drama
  • Reply 5 of 13
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    While Mac-centric trade shows are nice, I have always wondered why the companies involved didn't try to have both Mac and Windows PC products in the same show for direct comparison, etc.

After Apple both moved to Intel-based systems, effectively becoming "PCs", and changed its name to "Apple, Inc." to become a consumer electronics company, I was waiting for them to attend CES.

It seems pretty obvious to me that Apple is ditching Mac-centric shows and is going to be more aggressive toward competing with Windows PCs. This takes the Mac vs. PC commercials to the showroom floor. We may even see huge nerd fights at CES.

Obviously, the third parties benefit. Adobe, Belken, and the like can now attend ONE show in January. Consumers benefit because they can compare both platforms right there. And maybe we'll see some interesting changes with keynotes.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post

....We may even see huge nerd fights at CES.....

That would be hysterical.

We can only hope. And instigate.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

That would be hysterical.

We can only hope. And instigate.

Broadcast it live in realtime on the intarweb. PC fanboys VS Mac fanboys. Have them in a boxing kind of ring, have one of them sexy models walking around with the "Round 1" kind of flashcard. PC fanboys get equipped with Dell Adamos, Mac fanboys MacBook Airs... ARE YOU READY TO RUMMMMMMBLLEEEEEEE
  • Reply 8 of 13
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Broadcast it live in realtime on the intarweb. PC fanboys VS Mac fanboys. Have them in a boxing kind of ring, have one of them sexy models walking around with the "Round 1" kind of flashcard. PC fanboys get equipped with Dell Adamos, Mac fanboys MacBook Airs... ARE YOU READY TO RUMMMMMMBLLEEEEEEE

I can see the eventual YouTube videos in my mind now. heh.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by douglogic View Post

My guess is that Apple will come LARGE to CES and take it over from a hype standpoint. If Jobs gets healthy enough, I would imagine a strong keynote performance that would see the launch of the next big thing from Apple. If anyone saw the live blog of the Dell Adamo disaster non-launch, it will not take much effort for Apple to dominate this event. Maybe they will launch HDTV displays and tablet/netbook device in addition to new generations of mac, ipods, iphones. With the broad range of products Apple now offers, seems like an invasion of CES is a smart move.

Keep dreaming about that fantasy.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Dice Electronics, the makers of an iPod Integration Kit for many vehicles as well as other consumer electronics products, is showing off their stuff at CES instead of Macworld Expo.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Why not do both?

I go to Macworld for the ?feel good?, the innovations, to find software, for example, like the DJ program I would otherwise have known nothing about from Germany this year... and to listen to someone talk about the latest version of iLife or iWork. That said, I believe Apple should seriously reconsider their position on complete withdrawal. I understand it and they are correct, technically...

HOWEVER, many small companies get their start in a stand at Macworld. The geeks come and the word spreads and before long, a new piece of software or a peripheral become generally available for all. Mac has always had a steadfastly loyal, if not fanatical following. Sure they don?t really NEED their gigantic booths. Honestly, this year was the first time in 12 years that I?ve even visited the Apple booth and that was to ask a specific question related to Pages. I can go to my Apple store any time for the hardware and do, probably on a weekly basis because I have one close by.

Even if the hardware and HUGE central display is no longer there, a booth similar to Microsoft?s should be entertained by Apple, where presentations could be given as Microsoft does, It would encourage others like Adobe to come back to the show and ensure that many developers who rely on the media and other exposure to get their products to market get that all important exposure to the media and the geeks. SURE, Apple can create their own buzz any time for ?their? hardware with a media event, but unless we see innovative software and peripherals continuing to be created, which can be publicized through events such as Macworld, the innovation may slowly dry up, leaving us with some amazing hardware and the same crappy problem we had to deal with for many years... You just can?t find the software you need to do what you want to do on the MAC.

Consider doing both, OR, in the alternative, create a completely separate "MAC Pavilion" for us to hang out in.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    felix01felix01 Posts: 294member
    Another nail in the Macworld Expo coffin. Paul Kent better be dusting off the old résumé, his association with IDG will soon be history despite his brave public face that the Expo will soldier on without Apple anchoring it.

Attending two trade shows back-to-back is tough for most companies in today's economic climate and if they now perceive CES gives them more bang for their advertising buck and a wider audience, guess what, they won't be at Macworld any longer.

This is a masterful stroke by CES...welcome the Apple crowd, give them their own display area as well as private and public meeting rooms/conference areas. And, of course, CES has cheaper booth rates, airline fares are cheaper to Las Vegas for the employees who work the show, hotel accommodations are cheaper in Las Vegas and the night life is better.

I'll be surprised if Macworld even survives one more cycle before folding. For sure it won't survive in the present form although the idea of smaller, more focused expos, which move to the city close to the center of gravity for that particular industry holds promise.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    If you look at Apple's financial results for the past year, it's clear that they now make a significant proprtion of their revenue from non-Mac related products such as the iPhone. It would therefore make sense to me to widen their appeal by exhibiting at non Mac specific shows such as CES.

I wonder if they will exhibit at CeBIT this year given that the premier European Mac show in Paris has now been cancelled??