No new Mac Mini or iMac

Comments

• Reply 141 of 240
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Why don't you just build your own rather than support some leach of a company? It may be nice to save money but Psystar does not have a future. If you're not guaranteed support then you may as well build your own.

Well, the next question is do you simply install the OS and drivers? I've put together a machine before, so no big deal, but I've never tried to install OSX on one, and I wouldn't be surprised if Apple had some work-arounds in its OS for doing so.
  • Reply 142 of 240
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Expat View Post

Well, the next question is do you simply install the OS and drivers? I've put together a machine before, so no big deal, but I've never tried to install OSX on one, and I wouldn't be surprised if Apple had some work-arounds in its OS for doing so.

There are forums and how-tos. If you've built a machine before it shouldn't be too hard for you to do on your own.
  • Reply 143 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

There are forums and how-tos. If you've built a machine before it shouldn't be too hard for you to do on your own.

Thanks to everyone who sent info, I'll stop with the hackintosh talk to keep this thread on the Mini and iMac. Basically, I'm looking for a Logic machine, and I'm waiting until the spring for Apple to put out something I like. If they do, I'm buying it, if not, I'm hacking it. In other words, my business is Apple's to lose, I just have the feeling lately that they could care less about buyers like me, so we'll see.

So yeah - souped up mini or xMac - COME ON JOBS!!
  • Reply 144 of 240
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Thanks to everyone who sent info, I'll stop with the hackintosh talk to keep this thread on the Mini and iMac. Basically, I'm looking for a Logic machine, and I'm waiting until the spring for Apple to put out something I like. If they do, I'm buying it, if not, I'm hacking it. In other words, my business is Apple's to lose, I just have the feeling lately that they could care less about buyers like me, so we'll see.

So yeah - souped up mini or xMac - COME ON JOBS!!

Hey I might be right there with you. My Hackintosh would be simply be for fun/frustration. I think it's getting easier and easier so we'll see.

Though I do understand those that want xMac. As a Logic user it would be pretty nice

to have a UAD-2 card in a small box along with Logic Studio and maybe an external FW audio interface.
  • Reply 145 of 240
    I was frustrated by the lack of a mini announcement. I need a replacement for my old one, that recently died. And I'm not going to spend good money on a machine that's already way out of date.
  • Reply 146 of 240
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,454member
    I'm scared to see what kind of mini they announce. After seeing that demo from NVidia, I'm thinking the next mini might have an Atom in it. I think a lot of things point to the mini going this way. A) Apple recently moved to Nvidia chipsets on their laptops. B) Apple recently moved to the 9400m as their main gpu on their low-end machines. C) Apple loves to make things smaller and more compact. D) The board is already made and waiting for apple. All Apple has to do is repackage it with their magic.

I'm really hoping it doesn't but I think it will. This will even further the gap more between the Mac Pro and Mac Mini. Pretty much cutting out any consumer headless mac. I still don't consider the iMac consumer with mobile parts in it. If it can do quad core, and a > 256bit GPU, and get a matte option for the screen I may consider it. But in it's current form I'd rather have a macbook pro on my desk that I hook up to an external monitor. Just makes no sense to be tied down with mobile parts on a desktop.

The Macbook Air can't even play 1080p unless it's quicktime and a specific h.264 encoding. Try playing a 1080p mkv... even current laptops struggle with it. (Plex is a great program to get around that btw). I tried many programs to play 1080p and Plex was the only one that could pull it off. VLC has multi-core and multi-threading issues. CorePlayer has AC3 encoding issues. Quicktime w/ Perrien dips down quite a bit during the video. It's sad that our machines can barely play 1080p.

Point being, for the mini to be a HTPC / Media Center and play those video files is a no go. Plus with it's small 2.5" drive, don't count on being able to hold many of those files. So what's their left to do?

Build your own.
  • Reply 147 of 240
    The Atom isn't going to even run iLife '09 with acceptable performance. The first time someone sees a 30 minute process time for stabilizing video they'll be exercising that 14-day return.

Apple's problem is the iMac. They want it to be an appliance with limited functionality but it simply offers little over a Mac mini with a cheaper monitor.

The truth is Apple knows that a headless Mac with any expandability would kill iMac sales and that should tell you that the value of the iMac is poor from a configuration standpoint. I love the AIO form factor ...it's clean and easy to setup but it's not an enthusiasts machine and enthusiasts shouldn't have to purchase a GD workstation to get excited about computing off the beaten path.
  • Reply 148 of 240
    I don't know if a headless iMac would totally kill sales. I know if I had to buy for an office, a school, or my parents, I'd go for the all-in-one. For myself? headless all the way.
  • Reply 149 of 240
    Quote:

I don't know if a headless iMac would totally kill sales. I know if I had to buy for an office, a school, or my parents, I'd go for the all-in-one. For myself? headless all the way.

Yeah totally killing sales wouldn't happen but it could lead to a revenue hit. Consumers are great at ferreting out

deals on monitors since there's like a bajillion LCD out there cheaper than Apple's offerings. Hell at this point I'd

drool over a $1500 single socket Mac Pro with solid expandibility for the GPU and a couple more PCI-Express slots.

The thing that sucks is that the niche markets for cool stuff like UAD cards and more are stifled on the Mac because a

majority of Mac sales don't have the slots required.
  • Reply 150 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

The thing that sucks is that the niche markets for cool stuff like UAD cards and more are stifled on the Mac because a

majority of Mac sales don't have the slots required.

Fortunately, some of those manufacturers are coming up with external options. TC Electronics had an external audio processor that ran over firewire, that way you could use it with an iMac, or a macbook...oh wait, nevermind.

That being said, while it is a niche market, by acquiring Logic, it is a market Apple decided to become a big player in. Beside, how many studios do you see running windows?
  • Reply 151 of 240
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

I'm scared to see what kind of mini they announce. After seeing that demo from NVidia, I'm thinking the next mini might have an Atom in it.

Not to mention their move towards greener computing. Be afraid, be very afraid:

http://www.cherrypal.com/

Thing is, I actually want to see computers go this way eventually. Apple would be premature to make this move right now though.

I think they will use the Atom but for their Apple TV box. I think a cherrypal-sized ATV would go down quite well if the cost was lower than the current ATV.

I don't think the mid-range Mac would kill off the iMac. I think that people would suddenly see that it is a niche product and it's nice for some but not for the majority of people who have more diverse needs.

A suitably high performance Mini will do the job though. If they can fit in the 65W quad mobile CPUs, even with Nvidia 9400M alone, it will be a great machine.
  • Reply 152 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

I'm scared to see what kind of mini they announce. After seeing that demo from NVidia, I'm thinking the next mini might have an Atom in it.

No, after evaluating the Asus N10, even the dual core Atom is likely too wimpy for the mini. I can see it going into the aTV though.

Quote:

Point being, for the mini to be a HTPC / Media Center and play those video files is a no go. Plus with it's small 2.5" drive, don't count on being able to hold many of those files. So what's their left to do?

NAS. Or hope the Mini comes with eSATA this go around.
  • Reply 153 of 240
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Why would the Mini come standard with a port the Mac Pro doesn't have?
  • Reply 154 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Why would the Mini come standard with a port the Mac Pro doesn't have?

Pro is due for a refresh too isn't it?
  • Reply 155 of 240
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    At least the Pro need a refresh as the new Core i7 at 2.66 MHz CPU outperform the old 3.2 GHz.

The Core i7 also overclocks to 3.8 GHz "effortlessly" according to Toms hardware guide
  • Reply 156 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrBoar View Post

At least the Pro need a refresh as the new Core i7 at 2.66 MHz CPU outperform the old 3.2 GHz.

The Core i7 also overclocks to 3.8 GHz "effortlessly" according to Toms hardware guide

4.2GHz even:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Intel...Hz-95481.shtml

This isn't the Gainestown chips though, which Apple will use and I don't imagine many people will want to mess around with overclocking their very expensive workstations.
  • Reply 157 of 240
    Hei Man....

Its true

Steve Jobs is sick and will be back on June.....

No Imac

No MacMini

No Mac Pro

No Cinema Display

We are back to Stone age....

Unless Tim Cook is revolutionary, which I doubt.....

C'mmon Apple.......I am so mad with Apple
  • Reply 158 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haryanto2007 View Post

No Imac

No MacMini

No Mac Pro

No Cinema Display

Jobs: "In order to take myself out of the limelight and focus on my health, and to allow everyone at Apple to focus on delivering extraordinary products"

They aren't going to delay products. I think the iphone is Steve's new baby and he'll want to show the new one in June if possible.

The rest of the team can handle the other product introductions.
  • Reply 159 of 240
    True, Steve has turned his back on the desktops, so maybe with him out they'll roll out something new on that front (not that I want to put a positive spin on the guys health, he ticks me off sometimes, but he needs to be well)
  • Reply 160 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Jobs: "In order to take myself out of the limelight and focus on my health, and to allow everyone at Apple to focus on delivering extraordinary products"

They aren't going to delay products. I think the iphone is Steve's new baby and he'll want to show the new one in June if possible.

The rest of the team can handle the other product introductions.

New Ical, new Widget, more Software updates....

I hope not.