Ballmer changes tune on iPhone, says no to Zune phone

Comments

• Reply 81 of 107
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

He's lying! A Zune phone is coming.

Yah, I agree with you there. I think he's trying to play coy.

Every time Ballmer opens his mouth about something, it's like he's standing over you naked, tea bagging you. "Apple sucks *dip* Google sucks *dip* Hey... where you running off too? Come back..."
  • Reply 82 of 107
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

Instead of introducing an awkward piece of hardware built by another company using a slightly copycatted version of software/GUI after competitors beat you to the market by years (Ipod/Zune), Microsoft will instead continue writing code as usual. If anything this will save them money on R&D and hopefully let them focus on having a good competitor to OS 10.6 with Win7, and to OSX iPhone with Win7 Mobile.

Huh? Windows 7 can't hold a candle to OS X from three years ago, let alone the super fast and optimized version that 10.6 will be. And the best competition Apple has in the mobile space may (surprisingly) turn out to be Palm with their recently announced Pre. Of course this is based solely on their extremely brief demo of the phone, and it remains to be seen just how good it is in reality. Early specs indicate it's lacking in multimedia support. But I seriously doubt Microsoft of all companies will turn out anything remotely competitive with the iPhone's interface.

• Reply 83 of 107
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

Microsoft is involved in too many business lines:

1) Destkop operating systems (profitable)

2) Server operating systems (profitable)

3) Server software (profitable)

4) Office productivity software (profitable)

5) Media/MSN/MSNBC (break-even?)

6) Xbox/gaming (loss)

7) Search (break-even or loss)

8) Mobile software/Windows Mobile (loss?)

It's obviously taking its toll on the company. Microsoft needs to scale down and concentrate on its core businesses, namely the desktop and enterprise apps.

You forgot IPTV...they provide the boxes U-verse uses. Total Home DVR is Mediaroom DVR Anywhere.

If they wanted to win the set top wars they have two trump cards for the 360: IPTV/DVR and MS Office w/Wireless Keyboard and Mouse.

Neither Sony nor Apple have the IPTV experience MS gained from the AT&T U-Verse rollout. Neither have MS Office.

Of course, this would take the budget home PC market out back and shoot it and make HP, Dell, etc rather unhappy with MS. On the other hand, I guess they could sell more profitable Home Servers to feed the XBoxes.

To scale down and concentrate on core business is to roll over and die. Imagine Apple without the iPod or iPhone.
  • Reply 84 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by silverpraxis View Post

Instead of introducing an awkward piece of hardware built by another company using a slightly copycatted version of software/GUI after competitors beat you to the market by years (Ipod/Zune), Microsoft will instead continue writing code as usual. If anything this will save them money on R&D and hopefully let them focus on having a good competitor to OS 10.6 with Win7, and to OSX iPhone with Win7 Mobile.

I only want MS to create something amazing so that Apple will create something even more amazing. I want healthy competition!

I also want healthy competition. But for that to happen I think Ballmer has to go. Someone else made the excellent point that under Gates, Microsoft's core business thrived, whereas under Ballmer, everything has sucked.

Ballmer is an idiot. Everyone knows this, apart from the Board of Directors at Microsoft, apparently.
  • Reply 85 of 107
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Erunno View Post

Quite frankly, although I'm looking forward to God of War 3 and the successor to Shadow of the colossus I'd currently buy an XBox 360 as well. If you don't use the PS3 as a media center or cheap Blu-Ray player the XBox 360 has a better price-performance ratio. For instance, compare the Premium XBox360 with the regular PS3. The former is cheaper (100 Euro here in Europe), comes with a wireless headset, one month trial for XBox Gold and a bigger hard drive.

You're a heeb... if if if.

People ARE using it as a wicked media center and people ARE using it as a nice -not cheap- Blu-Ray player. With the Bluetooth remote it's a great player. Did you research how many XBOX's have been defective compared that with PS3's? Butt loads. It doesn't matter if there are a few million more sales when there are a few million defective machines.

PLUS that's PAST performance not current and future sales performance. It's the same thing as Windows vs. Mac. Billions buy Windows because it's cheap and those people flock together like sheep. You will also buy a new Windows box in the near future. People who buy Macs know that they won't get viruses and there machine won't break next month. More pricey but you have a better machine in the end and therefore potentially save money.

XBOX's are for the kids who need to play FPS games with their friends yesterday.
  • Reply 86 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markm49uk View Post

I don't follow you - in what area would Apple get hit with a monopoly suit ?

Don't mistake my saying this with saying I believe they are guilty or will be guilty of this. Remember the whole stupid monopoly suits over iTunes. One of these days someone will get traction with one of these stupid things & Apple will be left with some choices about how to quell any further onslaught from other groups.
  • Reply 87 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

The UI has a few innovations that strike at the gaps in iPhone, but Palm and Pre are missing a bunch of things that would put it ahead of iPhone. For example, see http://counternotions.com/2009/01/12/pre

But even if we were to say the UI is superior, the Pre isn't going to be shipped for several more months (Apr? Jun?), and iPhone 3.0 may arrive at just about the same time.

From your link this summary has some valid observations:

Quote:

Linda Says:

Mon, Jan 12, 09 at 11:31 PM

I would love to get 1 of these… does it have:
    • Built-in wi-fi that runs faster than the iPhone’s?

• Which phone opens Word, Excel and PDF file attachments?

• Weigh less than 5 ounces?

• Which of them are thinner than iPhone at 0.5″?

• Which can I install more than 11,000 different apps into? (Many are free!)

• Which can I write my own code for?

• Which phones sell refurbished models for under $99?

• Which phone can use over 17,000 AT&T wi-fi hot-spots, for free?

• Which phone has more than 8-16 BILLION bytes of ram? (Without buying extra mem cards)

• Which have a better/faster browser than Safari?

• Which have 100 accessories that I can buy at stores all over the world?

• Which phones cost less than the iPhone’s $199?

• Which have multi-touch screens bigger than 3.5″?

• Which phone sells more than 1 million units… just in the 1st weekend?

• Which phone has more than 3 GPS methods? (Cell, satellite, wi-fi.)

• Which phone gives you high-speed, UNLIMITED data for under $30/month?

• Which phone has more than 25,000 developers writing apps for it?

• Which phone can I buy in more than 62 countries?

• Which screens are sharper than 163 pixels/inch?

• Which phone quickly sold 13,000,000 phones?

• Which screens can display more than 16 million colors?

• Which has a built-in battery that last 5-10 hours of continuous talk-time?

• Which phones let me leave 5,000 songs on my home computer, but still play them on my phone from anywhere in the world?

• Which phone let’s me listen to more than 1,000 free radio stations, even though it has no radio in it?

• Which phone can play 50,000,000 movies/videos/TV shows, without storing any of them in the phone itself?

• Which phone can make free voice-calls over wi-fi, all over the world?

This list will expand considerably with the next revision of the iPhone.
  • Reply 88 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I've always wondered why no one hacks together a way of playing XBox games on a regular Apple computer like Paralells does for Windows itself. I guess it would be illegal so no commercial product, but how hard could it be to do it for the casual market?

XBox platform is only as good as the games it has, there is absolutely nothing special about it otherwise. If all of a sudden you didn't need to buy an XBox to run he games (or even a Windows computer), it would easily die as a separate platform in two years.

The iPhone or the MacBook would still be around even if the OS failed as it's excellent hardware. The XBox is just a cobbled together pile of junk that exists only because Microsoft has all the most popular games. Halo has already stopped development of new games for XBox, let's hope they come out with something for the (superior) Mac hardware and history reverses itself.

Nintendo & Play Station use OpenGL for graphics, but XBox actually uses Direct 3D. This means people developing games for XBox & PC can use one format for both.

Microsoft will pour all it has into keeping XBox alive because they see it as one of the 3 or 4 last life lines they have for Windows. As long as they can keep it going it is a huge temptation for game developers because they can cut development costs when they know they will be releasing a PC & Console game.

In this regard Microsoft is smart, developers are a huge key to getting yourself out there. Apple really needs to step up it's game to developers & I have a feeling that they will do this with Snow Leopard & the introduction of Grand Central. Having a new core set of APIs means they should be able to introduce some great new tools to simplify programming great apps (just like iPhone).
  • Reply 89 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

The UI has a few innovations that strike at the gaps in iPhone, but Palm and Pre are missing a bunch of things that would put it ahead of iPhone. For example, see http://counternotions.com/2009/01/12/pre

But even if we were to say the UI is superior, the Pre isn't going to be shipped for several more months (Apr? Jun?), and iPhone 3.0 may arrive at just about the same time.

With the same argument of the article you could say the same for Apple which took MS to give them the money to bail them out of a hard time. Next took a lot of capital that Apple dearly needed.

Apple was junk stock at the time and without the help from Adobe for Postsript and MS for capital they would be the Linux of today.
  • Reply 90 of 107
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

From your link this summary has some valid observations:

This list will expand considerably with the next revision of the iPhone.

From your quote I can't tell if you are mocking the features or the lack of.

If it's the first then I have to say bravo. If not I have to say you are not up to date with the current technology.

The RAZR was cool for a few years too. And yes this is a fair comparison, many phones not just the Pre is surpassing the iPhone..

Apple, get off your Ass and ditch your CEO and be the company you used to be.

Steve is the past. At least Bill let it go to the younger generation when he knew he didn't add anything to Microsoft.
  • Reply 91 of 107
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

From your quote I can't tell if you are mocking the features or the lack of.

If it's the first then I have to say bravo. If not I have to say you are not up to date with the current technology.

The RAZR was cool for a few years too. And yes this is a fair comparison, many phones not just the Pre is surpassing the iPhone..

Apple, get off your Ass and ditch your CEO and be the company you used to be.

Steve is the past. At least Bill let it go to the younger generation when he knew he didn't add anything to Microsoft.

Would you mind listing a few of the phones that have surpassed the iPhone? I'm off tomorrow, I'd love to go play around with a few of them.
  • Reply 92 of 107
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

With the same argument of the article you could say the same for Apple which took MS to give them the money to bail them out of a hard time. Next took a lot of capital that Apple dearly needed.

Apple was junk stock at the time and without the help from Adobe for Postsript and MS for capital they would be the Linux of today.

For a "Mac Old Timer", your history of Apple is a little fuzzy. (Guess that comes with age. ) MS didn't just hand over 150 million dollars to Apple in capital. MS invested in 150 million dollars worth of AAPL (non voting) shares. Apple at the time, had no debt and a couple of billion dollars in cash. Apple didn't need any "bail out" money. Apple could have lost 150 million dollars a quarter and still survive for several years.

What Apple really needed was MS assurance that they would continue making MS Word and Excel for Macs. Steve Jobs (interim CEO at the time) knew that future Mac sales depended on these two apps. And it wasn't MS money that was important to Apple. But MS gesture, to the tune of 150 million dollars, that Apple was still a viable company worth investing in.

It's actually MS that got the better of the deal. There was no way that MS would let Apple fall because of their monopoly status with the DOJ. Without Apple, the DOJ would most likely have broken up MS into two or three companies. It was already in MS best interest to make sure Apple survives. Plus MS Mac Businness Unit was (and still is) very profitable.

Also in the deal was a 5 years agreement to share each other technology. With this agreement, Apple dropped the long standing lawsuit that contends that MS stole their GUI for Windows.

And last but not least. When MS invested that 150 million dollars in AAPL. AAPL was at about $21. MS later sold those shares for about $28. MS made about $50,000,000 profit in the transaction. That's more profit than what their Xbox division has made so far. And if they had kept their shares, they would be worth over $2,500,000,000 today.
  • Reply 93 of 107
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

XBox platform is only as good as the games it has, there is absolutely nothing special about it otherwise.

I'd disagree. Part of the appeal of the Xbox to the gaming community has always been Xbox Live, which is easily the best online console service. It's also the most expensive, but as Mac users we all know that cheap doesn't always mean good value.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2

Halo has already stopped development of new games for XBox, let's hope they come out with something for the (superior) Mac hardware and history reverses itself.

Bungie has two games in development for the Xbox 360 at the moment - Halo Wars and Halo 3: ODST. Expansion packs are planned for both. I don't see Bungie moving back to MacOS any time soon, but the Nintendo DS and iPhone are definite possibilities.
  • Reply 94 of 107
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Apple itself does not achieve everything they said on the very day that was forecast (ex: applications for OS X in early days, iPhone 1.0, stability of OS X.* until SP 5-6, etc.) OK, nobody is perfect. What I like Apple always keeps going in promised direction. Results amaze usually...

Were I in the Ballmer's position, I'd rather keep myself away from pulling numbers like that...
  • Reply 95 of 107
    mh01mh01 Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissionGrey View Post

Microsoft just never learns...

The XBOX was their best thing they did in a long time. But they messed up with the 360, no HD player, then they backed up HDDVD and that died quickly, (as I predicted). I feel bad for the people who shelled out I think they were $200 for the add on, and the 30 or so movies you can watch on it.

Ummm, Sony messed up with the PS3 actually and have admitted to it, while the PS3 came with all you would ever want in a console, it was damn $$$$, and some people just wanted to play games and did not need to pay the premium for the BD.

The cheaper 360 allows it to sell more unit, and not including the HD is the 360 was a smart move, be worthless now....

Even better is the Wii, cheapest of all, and dedicated to games...smashed both PS3 and 360.

You cannot blame microsoft for the failure of HD, and if you have a 360, you can get a HD drive for $50 and movies for $5....not bad...what you do not get on HD you can pick up on BD. I myself bought as many HD movies as i could when the price hit rock bottom. I have a HD/BD player so its a win win for me.
  • Reply 96 of 107
    mh01mh01 Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Huh? Windows 7 can't hold a candle to OS X from three years ago, let alone the super fast and optimized version that 10.6 will be. And the best competition Apple has in the mobile space may (surprisingly) turn out to be Palm with their recently announced Pre. Of course this is based solely on their extremely brief demo of the phone, and it remains to be seen just how good it is in reality. Early specs indicate it's lacking in multimedia support. But I seriously doubt Microsoft of all companies will turn out anything remotely competitive with the iPhone's interface.

Have you actually downloaded the widows 7 beta and used it? If you have and still think that its no better then 3 year old OS X, then i would be very surprised. I run windows 7 on my MBA and am very impressed.

Could care less about what Microsoft will bring to the mobile market, more interested in how copy and paste is coming along on the Iphone!?!?!, two years on and the Iphone os hardly evolved...so long you can hide behind the interface, though i guess on the money is in the apps.
  • Reply 97 of 107
    Quote:

How did he became CEO of Micro$oft.

Well...

Quote:

He's just wrong about everything.

That's how. A man of definitely great insight.

I wish he started something like the Monty Pythons, I'm sure his silly views of the future would be funnier than any silly walk.
  • Reply 98 of 107
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    You are probably kidding. Not shipping with a HD player was the smartest thing Microsoft ever did with regards to the 360. First, it allowed it to not too heavily invest in a HD format (imagine if it shipped with HDDVD and Blue Ray won). Second, it allowed it to seriously undercut Sony in cost, which in turn, translates to more sales. Microsoft is actually making a profit on every sale of the 360, while Sony is estimated to be paying out hundreds of dollars. Cost is probably the number one reason Microsoft is beating PS3 in worldwide sales.

With that said, I think the PS3 is the better gaming machine (especially considering Microsoft had an additional year to refine it Sony did).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MissionGrey View Post

Microsoft just never learns...

The XBOX was their best thing they did in a long time. But they messed up with the 360, no HD player, then they backed up HDDVD and that died quickly, (as I predicted). I feel bad for the people who shelled out I think they were $200 for the add on, and the 30 or so movies you can watch on it.

• Reply 99 of 107
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

The XBox is just a cobbled together pile of junk that exists only because Microsoft has all the most popular games.

The old X-boxes make quite handy little media servers if you install the right Linux distribution on them, in Australia you can pick them up for $A47 for trade in units from a chain of game stores.

The only thing missing is a tuner card.
  • Reply 100 of 107
    techboytechboy Posts: 183member
    Ballmer lacks vision for anything. The fact Microsoft is still holding it's own isn't because of his leadership... amazingly the lack of leadership seems to be the reason for him to hold on to his job.