Paper suggests Apple's iPhone nano will ring this spring

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinney57 View Post

Slightly smaller screen, tighter form factor, no data - wifi & phone only. Will run all apps and games that don't need data. Cheap - sell like hot-cakes - no brainer.

I think a smaller screen would make current iPhone apps incompatible. Why make another phone without data plan?! why not just remove the mandatory data plan instead and make it optional?!

I can't see the benefit of releasing an smaller crippled version of the iPhone right now. If price is the problem then they are better off releasing a 4GB version for $99 or lower the price of the 8GB version to $99 and offer the less expensive data plans from AT&T ($15/month) while releasing 32GB version for $299 with the 16GB for $199.
  • Reply 22 of 66
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    I can't see getting an iPhone without a data plan. To me, that would totally defeat the purpose of getting an iPhone. All of the features would then only be usable via wifi, which is pointless for certain things such as GPS, Google maps, push services from mobileme, etc. You might as well just get a regular phone IMO. I would guess it would be a smaller screen, and less capacity (4GB?).

I want a Verizon iPhone damn it!!!!!

I agree with sflocal...the original iPhone buyers are coming up on the end of their contract this June/July so it would be great if Apple did something nice to keep these users. I know I'm looking to replace my original iPhone. I would like to see a phone that gets a better signal (especially in buildings), and of course more capacity. Any other new features would be welcome as well. I could care less about copy and paste though...
  • Reply 23 of 66
    The iphone nano rumors seem to be true.

This is a fantastic way for apple to increase its worldwide market share in the phone business !

Here are my predictions:

?It will come in the same capacities as the ipod nano( 8Gb and 16GB)

?It won't support the current apps from the appstore but instead developers can develop dashcode widgets for it like mac os x dashboard (which could be compatible with the grown up iphone too)

?It will be available contract free worldwide, which explains AT & T's ignorance about it.

?Apple will solve the screen size issue for typing by having a landscape only keyboard.

?It will have ipod and safari applications identical to the curent iphone.

?They may wait until september for the ipod event, since it targets people who want an "ipod phone". They will probably price it at $249 for 8Gb and $299 for 16Gb, contact free.

?It will be available in multiple colors!
  • Reply 24 of 66
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    I can't see getting an iPhone without a data plan. To me, that would totally defeat the purpose of getting an iPhone. All of the features would then only be usable via wifi, which is pointless for certain things such as GPS, Google maps, push services from mobileme, etc. You might as well just get a regular phone IMO. I would guess it would be a smaller screen, and less capacity (4GB?).

I want a Verizon iPhone damn it!!!!!

I agree with sflocal...the original iPhone buyers are coming up on the end of their contract this June/July so it would be great if Apple did something nice to keep these users. I know I'm looking to replace my original iPhone. I would like to see a phone that gets a better signal (especially in buildings), and of course more capacity. Any other new features would be welcome as well. I could care less about copy and paste though...
  • Reply 25 of 66
    Funny that people are dumb enough to believe this article.
  • Reply 26 of 66
    I really doubt this is real. Apple is not going to sacrifice the app store for a smaller phone and since when have they gone through the whole expense of researching, developing, manufacturing any hardware for one specific market (and one that isn't the US to boot)

How much can they really add hardware wise to the iphone anyway? They could slim it closer to the touch, and add a better camera/flash. that's about it.

and beyond that when has apple ever taken an expensive product and made it CHEAPER by removing features? capacity i can understand, but features? destroying the entire design platform? no. not going to happen.
  • Reply 27 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

. Also, Apple could charge a premium over other "dumbphones", because it's an Apple product. This also allows them to do an end-run around AT&T by breaking exclusivity.

Apple doesn't set the rates. ATT does. and will until that contract is over. And you can bet ATT is not going to allow a 'no data plan' iphone. regardless of size.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

A nano-sized iPhone would be cool, but the screen would be suitable for only the young and the eagle-eyed. The keyboard would be even harder to use for those of us with large fingertips.

which is why it doesn't make any sense

Quote:

Anything Apple sells overseas people will want in the USA. Period. It's Apple. People are crazy about anything they do and want to buy everything they make (except the iPod HiFi ).

double if it is cheaper. US buyers will freak if they make a $99 model, even at 80% the size, and sell it overseas only.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Forget everything about the current iPhone and picture it as just an iPod Nano with a phone. It might not even have wifi. No touch screen. An Apple logo.

then it is not an iphone. in fact, it is possible if they take the touch etc out of the phone they would risk being sued by the companies that have the patents on a music playing cell phone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dorotea View Post

And maybe it is unlocked

that won't happen in the US for certain.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Doesn't make sense to me; they need to introduce something to get the Edge iPhone stalwarts like myself

not exactly. but there is an Edge issue. they promo'd the new phone for having 3g. it was the center of the ads etc. plus ATT is cutting back their Edge service to convert those transmitters to 3g. so a step back on that would be stupid.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Let's not forget that the 2-year data plans are coming to an end for the original iPhone buyers. What will Apple do to keep them a happy and continuing Apple phone users? Will AT&T allow the phones to be unlocked once the 2-year contract is up?

Apple doesn't have to do anything but keep making phones that work. ATT are the ones with the issue. Apple did it's part by bringing the contracts in ,especially this past year with the sign or you can't buy rules ATT forced on them. ATT has to keep them. Dropping their rates on data and or texting wouldn't hurt but I don't see that happening. better 3g service is in the workds but probably not fast enough.

other than that there is the issue of US laws. rumor has it there is a law that says that while a device can be legally locked to a network once a buyer has completed the initial contract period, upon request, the manufacturer and/or carrier must unlock the phone and allow use wherever the owner wants. supposedly this is based on the carriers claiming that they paid for the cost of the device over the period of the contract. if the owner completes the contract he/she has paid for the device and legally can do as he/she wishes with it. but I haven't ever seen anything but rumors on this.
  • Reply 28 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by silicon_dioxide View Post

The iphone nano rumors seem to be true.

This is a fantastic way for apple to increase its worldwide market share in the phone business !

Here are my predictions:

?It will come in the same capacities as the ipod nano( 8Gb and 16GB)

?It won't support the current apps from the appstore but instead developers can develop dashcode widgets for it like mac os x dashboard (which could be compatible with the grown up iphone too)

?It will be available contract free worldwide, which explains AT & T's ignorance about it.

?Apple will solve the screen size issue for typing by having a landscape only keyboard.

?It will have ipod and safari applications identical to the curent iphone.

?They may wait until september for the ipod event, since it targets people who want an "ipod phone". They will probably price it at $249 for 8Gb and $299 for 16Gb, contact free.

?It will be available in multiple colors!

How does this make them true? How about mac mini updates? Everyones been predicting those for a long time, and they're much more likely, yet nothings happened yet. not to mention, it's very very very obvious (plus i think he's said it) steve jobs hates buttons. i can't imagine him ever approving ADDING buttons to an iPhone (nano)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Let's not forget that the 2-year data plans are coming to an end for the original iPhone buyers. What will Apple do to keep them a happy and continuing Apple phone users? Will AT&T allow the phones to be unlocked once the 2-year contract is up?

I don't think apple's ever thought about customers like that. they have their own schedule. Not to mention they're trying to get out of people's expectations driving their production cycle (hence leaving macworld) So why would they be worried about peoples original iphone contracts expiring, if they want a new iphone, they can get a 3g.
  • Reply 29 of 66
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

If there is an iPhone Nano, why would there be an iPod touch Nano?

Simple. Apple will eventually phase out both the iPod Classic and the iPod Nano and go all-touch screens (except for the Shuffle). Once 64GB and 128GB Flash Memory chips are cheap enough, expect to the iPod Classic to go the way of the dodo.

If Apple puts in the R&D to make an iPhone Nano, they will also develop an "iPod Touch Nano" and phase out the iPod Nano. They did the same exact thing with the iPhone & iPod Touch Gen1, and the iPhone3G & iPod Touch Gen2.
  • Reply 30 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

The question is, does exclusivity apply to all Apple phones or just to the 'iPhone'?

ATT is not stupid. they likely made sure that the contract covers all cellular capable devices created by Apple. so even if Apple added a 3g modem into their laptop, that service would be tied to ATT for the contract period.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I think a smaller screen would make current iPhone apps incompatible. Why make another phone without data plan?! why not just remove the mandatory data plan instead and make it optional?!

because ATT makes the rules and they want it mandatory. they will tell you that they can't block data use on the phone so there has to be a data plan in place or you'd paid by use and could rack up huge bills.

also, ATT controls the price of the plan, not Apple. remember this always. if the phone were on Verizon, Verizon would control the price of service. so Apple can't offer a $15 data plan unless they want to built their own cell phone infrastructure etc. which they don't and that's why they went with an existing company as a partner. same for not wanting to run a credit card company/service which is why Juniper Bank runs it for them.

as the prices of components come down I could see them knocking $50 off the existing two sizes and perhaps adding a 32gb. but I don't see a 4gb being in the system anymore. it wasn't a big seller before the apps store and now it really wouldn't be cause you just can't hold that much on it.
  • Reply 31 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Doesn't make sense to me; they need to introduce something to get the Edge iPhone stalwarts like myself to re-up in June or risk them going to a competitor's device when their contract expires...

You don't think they'll upgrade the iPhone soon?? It can definitely use an upgrade now. I think you'll see both a new iPhone and iPod Touch maybe a month before the Nano Phone is introduced.

I just hope the next iPod Touch has a built-in microphone, GPS, and camera and allows Vonage, or something similar, to run seamlessly.
  • Reply 32 of 66
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    Something will come in June. All those iPhones with 2 year contracts will be up and AT&T will want to keep them. Apple will want to sell them a new phone.

Spring: No. Summer: Yes!

iPhone Nano? Maybe... iPhone V3.0: Very likely
  • Reply 33 of 66
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Why such a narrow view of what constitutes an iPhone? This would be an iPhone NANO. Apple would not want it to cannibalize iPhone (regular) sales. People who just want a phone don't buy an iPhone. With the Nano they would get a very cool Apple Phone with an iPod. I can't see there is a problem with that - very distinctly different from the iPhone of today. Don't forget the halo effect, and EVERYBODY has a phone and just about EVERYBODY has an ipod, but only a few have iPhones.

I think we need to think cell, ipod and games, and not an awful lot more. Sound like a winner to me.
  • Reply 34 of 66
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RadicalxEdward View Post

I really doubt this is real. Apple is not going to sacrifice the app store for a smaller phone and since when have they gone through the whole expense of researching, developing, manufacturing any hardware for one specific market (and one that isn't the US to boot)

How much can they really add hardware wise to the iphone anyway? They could slim it closer to the touch, and add a better camera/flash. that's about it.

and beyond that when has apple ever taken an expensive product and made it CHEAPER by removing features? capacity i can understand, but features? destroying the entire design platform? no. not going to happen.

Exactly. The 'phone' is a feature. Apple's future is in the platform/ecosystem.

In addition, the last thing they want is feature fracture where the platform starts looking like the mess that is application distribution on other platforms.

Case-in-point... I downloaded the Sound Recorder app to my first gen touch. I knew it didn't work... just wanted to get it while it was free in case I upgraded to a new touch.

But the store nevertheless allowed me to download it and had I not known what I was doing (and had it been a $$ app), I would have been quite annoyed to find that it didn't work on my particular hardware.

Backward compatability with older hardware will inevitably happen, but Apple doesn't need to make the problem worse by intentionally producing crippled hardware.

In short, my prediction is that the ability to run apps is the new baseline for new hardware. The current screen is the smallest you'll see, and shrinkage will only occur in the bezel.
  • Reply 35 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

ATT is not stupid. they likely made sure that the contract covers all cellular capable devices created by Apple. so even if Apple added a 3g modem into their laptop, that service would be tied to ATT for the contract period.

because ATT makes the rules and they want it mandatory. they will tell you that they can't block data use on the phone so there has to be a data plan in place or you'd paid by use and could rack up huge bills.

also, ATT controls the price of the plan, not Apple. remember this always. if the phone were on Verizon, Verizon would control the price of service. so Apple can't offer a $15 data plan unless they want to built their own cell phone infrastructure etc. which they don't and that's why they went with an existing company as a partner. same for not wanting to run a credit card company/service which is why Juniper Bank runs it for them.

as the prices of components come down I could see them knocking $50 off the existing two sizes and perhaps adding a 32gb. but I don't see a 4gb being in the system anymore. it wasn't a big seller before the apps store and now it really wouldn't be cause you just can't hold that much on it.

actually i think they only had an exclusive for the 1st gen iphone. they made a new contract for the 2nd gen (3G iphone), in which they extended 1 more year.

the next iphone, might not be exclusive, BUT i am sure ATT will ask for that with big money up front.
  • Reply 36 of 66
    The iPhone Pro would get me excited:

Slide Out Hardware Keypad

32 Gig Storage

5 MB Camera

Global Email Inbox

Higher Capacity Battery
  • Reply 37 of 66
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Mockup artists have never had it so easy. Hmm, what would an iphone nano look like? Duplicate, free transform > scale down, save. They do the same with the tablet, Duplicate iphone, scale up.

I don't know why the iphone nano wouldn't just be the 3rd generation iphone.

Unless the 3rd gen is an advanced one with multi-core and the latest PowerVR whereas the smaller one has the old (current) spec.

I do find the iphone a bit hard to hold vs other phones but the 3G version improved it over the 2G version. I don't see a major shrinkage but certainly the same resolution.

Naturally, there will be multiple skins made by manufacturers for older models but the next iphone could simply be smaller and cheaper.

I don't buy the idea of the nano simply being smaller with one or two features cut out.
  • Reply 38 of 66
    robb01robb01 Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmedia1 View Post

32 Gig Storage

5 MB Camera

Global Email Inbox

Higher Capacity Battery

That would be awesome

• Reply 39 of 66
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Forget everything about the current iPhone and picture it as just an iPod Nano with a phone. It might not even have wifi. No touch screen. An Apple logo.

They could bring back the fatty for this. For people who mostly use their iPod for music and have simple phone needs this would be a perfect fit.

What separates it from other similar devices? It works with iTunes, which can't be overlooked. It's cheap. And most importantly, Apple will get a bounty from AT&T as they bring over more new subscribers.

(Paxman - I would have beat you to the punch but the phone rang. Weird. I almost never answer the phone.)

I think this is the way to go once the current iPhone market has been saturated. Lowing the Flash capacity or not including WiFi or 3G isn't going to reduce the size or cost by enough to make it worthwhile. And making the screen smaller is just going to make the developers work harder and make most?if not all?current apps not look/work properly.

The real benefit of having an iPhone Nano that is simply an iPod Nano and basic cell phone is for the much greater number of people that want an iPod and a phone combined, but aren't so tied to the internet that they want or need it 24/7, and certainly don't want to pay $30/month for the capability.
  • Reply 40 of 66
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmedia1 View Post

32 Gig Storage

5 MB Camera

Global Email Inbox

Higher Capacity Battery

Nice, except for the slide-out. Won't happen, any more than Apple will put a DVD in the Air.

When Apple moves beyond a technology, they don't look back. There was the same uproar when they dropped the floppy from the Mac. "Oh woe is us... disaster...how can we live without a floppy?"

The iPhone is defined by its tight design. They won't add in an unstable, space-consuming/wasting keyboard that has to be slid in and out (until it breaks).

Apple will expand input options, and finally get us past the 19th century keyboard.