Microsoft intros Windows 7 beta, Songsmith app at CES

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 156
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KevinN206 View Post

Because Windows has been fully 64-bit since XP 64-bit, they don't have to focus in this area. Fully 64-bit means a 64-bit kernel that requires 64-bit drivers.

But they we're only 64-bit if you had the 64-bit version, which most weren't. Then their were driver issues galore, though thatt finally seems to have been mostly dealt with by Vista SP1. Apple's approach to systematically migrating aspects of the system to 64-bit while making it backwards compatible to 32-bit systems is much more intelligent method.
  • Reply 142 of 156
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

The way I understand it, Windows 7 is to Vista as Windows XP is to ME. XP was a polished version of ME except that it didn't crash every 25 seconds. I'm downloading Win 7 Beta (x64) now, going to try to dual-boot on my xHack.

edit: pipped by BenRoethig.
  • Reply 143 of 156
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,036member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Right- Apple has never taken another idea and sold it. Not even Soundjam - which was turned it into iTunes which made a ton of money for them.

Apple didn't make a dime off iTunes. iTunes was (and still is) given away for free. Or are you implying that SoundJam also came up with the idea of the iPod and the iTunes Store.

And Apple didn't "take" the idea from SoundJam. Apple hired the 3 guys that wrote SoundJam. (Which was essentially the whole company.) That's why iTunes resemble SoundJam. At the time, SoundJam was one of the most popular (if not the best) audio player for Macs. The other being Audion. If I remember correctly, Audion was the other audio player (for Mac) that was considered for iTunes.
  • Reply 144 of 156
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    i'm running it on my dell, it feels just like a polished up turd (vista). its not bad, not good, probably better than vista on some levels. but out of the box the damn thing won't let me download files from my windows home server, some ACL security setting for Intranet won't let me do anything...have to dig around to figure this one out. Stupid.

Other than that it looks ok, seems to be Vista II.
  • Reply 145 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

But they we're only 64-bit if you had the 64-bit version, which most weren't. Then their were driver issues galore, though thatt finally seems to have been mostly dealt with by Vista SP1. Apple's approach to systematically migrating aspects of the system to 64-bit while making it backwards compatible to 32-bit systems is much more intelligent method.

64-bit support was quite sporadic when Vista 64-bit was released. It has since gotten much better. Apple's method certainly made the transition to 64-bit support easier with Tiger and Leopard. However, they were still using 32-bit drivers.

It's extremely important that Apple and its hardware vendors update to 64-bit drivers. Otherwise, they might have a problem like Microsoft did with very little 64-bit drivers at launch.
  • Reply 146 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

"Microsoft, huh? So it's pretty easy to use!" <haha

I'm usually not a Microsoft hater, but this is just too much.

I used to think that the "John" Mac tutorial videos were a bit antiseptic (and that other tutorial guy gives me the creeps), but they're so tasteful and to-the-point compared to Songsmith. These MS pieces are like watching a cross between homemade videos and those infomercials at 2:30 AM.

What?! John is HOT!!!

Also, just joined after years and years of reading. :-P
  • Reply 147 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

thats disgusting, I need to wash my eyes out with soap.

LOL

I'm actually laughing out loud. I was reading the forums and my friend was watching over my shoulder, I was reading some of the comments and decided to watch the video. I couldn't blink. So I started tearing and my friend tells me that is was so bad that I started crying then I read this comment. I must be tired because I'm crying and laughing and I think I'm going to die!

:-P
  • Reply 148 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

It's great to see that AppleInsider's Yoda-Speak Translator is back in working order.

LOL

Seriously, you guys are so silly here.

:-D
  • Reply 149 of 156
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Don't forget the Seinfeld ads that came and went (down the toilet) so fast.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

Hands-down the best line ever from a Microsoft ad happens midway through that trainwreck...

"Microsoft, huh? So it's pretty easy to use?"

You have got to be kidding me! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Clearly that came from the same marketing people who brought us "McDonalds, huh? So it's good for me?" and "Wal-Mart, huh? So that means top quality and excellent service?"

Oh my god, if this were a spoof of cheesy computer ads, this would be sheer brilliance, but the fact that it's real is beyond bizarre.

• Reply 150 of 156
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    It's important to mention Windows 7. It's what Vista should have been. Apple's been blasting Vista out of the water in the court of public opinion. Windows 7 may have fixed enough things to remove ammo from Apple's marketing arsenal.

Songsmith is kind of a mediocre attempt to be Garageband-like and then go off in another "innovative" direction. I didn't see or read about any podcast creation stuff in it. And it certainly can't do music lessons like Garageband '09. But its something to add to Microsoft's "Windows Live" suite of apps so they come one step closer to competing with iLife.
  • Reply 151 of 156
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post

It's important to mention Windows 7. It's what Vista should have been. Apple's been blasting Vista out of the water in the court of public opinion. Windows 7 may have fixed enough things to remove ammo from Apple's marketing arsenal.

Songsmith is kind of a mediocre attempt to be Garageband-like and then go off in another "innovative" direction. I didn't see or read about any podcast creation stuff in it. And it certainly can't do music lessons like Garageband '09. But its something to add to Microsoft's "Windows Live" suite of apps so they come one step closer to competing with iLife.

I agree. I've installed Windows 7 via Fusion, and it's what Vista was supposed to be. What's sad is that they'll be charging people who installed/use Vista for what should be nothing more than a Service Pack [IMHO].

Songsmith is the '09 version of Bob. It won't last...
  • Reply 152 of 156
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tdmelvin View Post

I agree. I've installed Windows 7 via Fusion, and it's what Vista was supposed to be.

How did you download it? I've tried safari and firefox and it doesn't download. I just get the spinning circle of greet dots. I don't have access to a pc, do I need one to download it?
  • Reply 153 of 156
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Surely the greatest use of Songsmith to date, and quite possibly the reason the internet was invented: Runnin' with the Songsmith
  • Reply 154 of 156
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    When I saw that ad for songsmith I thought it had to be a parody or something. I think I now know where the vista team got banished to.
  • Reply 155 of 156
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

What kind of world do we live in where the "big feature" of windows 7 is that it will be better than vista. (it actually will work most of the time)

Fix the core of your os and stop just adding layers and layers of pointless crap.

Bullcrap. I am closely working on 4 Vista computers... my office desktop, my laptop, my wife's laptop and my home desktop. Hardware ranging from old P4, through AMD 64 X2 to 2 different C2D platforms. It is rock solid on all of them, actually more stable than XP was. No problems at all. Even dodgy freeware apps thet were able to crash XP on occasions seem more reliable on Vista and will - at worst - stop responding and close themselves down rather than crashing whole OS.

MS has to improve only on negative publicity Vista got in it's early days, though even that was more due to bad effort of hardware manufacturers and simple fact that whole Windows market - both users and developers - were spoiled with more than half a decade of same and reasonably solid OS. New features are also welcome if they are really useful. More optimization never hurts as well... but luckily for them, stability and compatibility they have already hammered out since Vista's introduction.
  • Reply 156 of 156
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BostonMJH0712 View Post

No, next year Steve Jobs gets day one and Bland Ballmer will be kicked back to day two.

Sure. Ladies and minors first..?