Should Apple include X11 with Mac OS X?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Browsing Versiontracker, I've seen more and more (and more) Mac OS X apps require an install of X11 (whether it be XFree86 or Xtools or whatever).

OroborOSX is great to have, and I applaud the developer, however it's not Aqua. It provides a rootless-Xserver (which can minimize X windows to the dock!) and an Aqua theme, which is great. But it still is a hassle do download, and there is no mistaking an X11 app for an Aqua app. There is no anti-aliasing, the window background is wintel-grey not pinstriped, the menu bars are in the windows, etc. etc. etc.

Should Apple include XFree86 and OroborOSX, develop an X11 API, or modify OroborOSX/XFree86 to shim into Aqua/Quartz? What's your thoughts? And if people think it's a good idea, lets petition Apple!

Barto

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Nope. X-windows is junk.
  • Reply 2 of 50
    X-Windows may not be very good, but I think it should be included with any Unix OS. And man would it make my life happier, if it was just there out of the box.

Now it should be an optional install, not everyone needs it taking up space, but I think many people would love to have it.

YES!
  • Reply 3 of 50
    Also, on a side note, Apple should have some type of Client/Server stuff available to OS X, not the stupid VNC stuff. Real Client/Server software like X-Windows... only it should be implimented better.

Now I seem to remember NeXt having this. It basically only transmitted the NIB files between the computers. Now that is some OS X needs, but perhaps they don't do it because it would not work with carbon apps?
  • Reply 4 of 50
    I find X11 to be very useful for the GNU apps I've downloaded and compiled on my system. I don't know how many OS X users are doing this kind of stuff though. I think it's something Apple would have to consider if enough people were interested, but I suspect all the good GNU software is going get a native port to OS X anyway, so why should Apple bother (more for them to support)?

I'd rather see Apple spend their resources developing a better OS and hardware and leave downloading and using X11 up to the people who want to use it.

That's my 2 cents.
  • Reply 5 of 50
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    Yes! Apple should make it 'default install' and put some work into it so it integrates w/ OSX nicely.
  • Reply 6 of 50
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    [quote]Originally posted by BlueJekyll:

<strong>Now I seem to remember NeXt having this. It basically only transmitted the NIB files between the computers. Now that is some OS X needs, but perhaps they don't do it because it would not work with carbon apps?</strong><hr></blockquote>

NeXT did have this with the Display Postscript-based window manager. It was pretty cool. I suspect that Apple will provide this soon through Quartz. It did not send Nibs across the wire...just PostScript.

P.S. I agree about the utility of having X-windows because the large quantity of X-windows applications. Still...seems like Apple would simply be "enabling" a bad habit by continuing support for it.

There was another thread about this a while back that made some very strong arguments against X. I don't have much time to repeat those here. Do a quick search to find it.
  • Reply 7 of 50
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    NXHosting (the system NeXT used for remote display) can't really be adapted for OS X. In NeXTSTEP, apps sent small PostScript commands over a local message port to the window server, so it was easy to send these commands over the network to a window server on a different machine. On OS X, apps use shared memory buffers containing a bitmap of the window with the window server (Quartz Compositor); shared memory over the network isn't easy to do and you'd be sending pixels across instead of commands, which would consume lots of bandwidth. (You could use VNC-style delta compression, but it might be pretty CPU intensive.)
  • Reply 8 of 50
    yurin8oryurin8or Posts: 120member
    [quote]Originally posted by stimuli:

<strong>Yes! Apple should make it 'default install' and put some work into it so it integrates w/ OSX nicely.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This will never happen...nor should it.
  • Reply 9 of 50
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    Well, the fact that every other unix out there has X11 is a pretty powerful incentive for Apple to include it. Right now X sucks on OSX because it is an after-thought implemented by third parties.

You'll never play Tux Racer w/ an attitude like that, yurin8or

edit: I don't program, but in an object oriented software development environment like Visual Basic or Glade, re-mapping every single goddamn widget to port an app from one platform to another has got to take 9,000,000 times longer. X11 is free, open, industry standard. Apple should include it.

[ 06-30-2002: Message edited by: stimuli ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 50
    scott f.scott f. Posts: 276member
    [quote]Originally posted by stimuli:

<strong>Yes! Apple should make it 'default install' and put some work into it so it integrates w/ OSX nicely.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why default...? Why should my sister who just uses a computer to surf the net, send & receive e-mails and store .MP3 files... have to have that installed by default...? She will never utilize that kind of technology so why waste the disk space and create yet another mysterious directory or set of files that she could potentially mess-up or whatever...?

Know what I mean...? We need to keep in mind, that although the MAJORITY of the members of this Forum have an understanding of how to compile programs, use UNIX or a CL (myself excluded)... we (you) are a minority of the overal percentage of people USING the Mac right now. This whole UNIX-Thing is new to a good portion of us Mac users, it's new to a lot of the "switchers", and it's definately new to those buying their first computer...

Having it as an optional install seems more appropriate (IMHO).

just my $.02
  • Reply 11 of 50
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    So, how about this.

An optional install of XFree86+XDarwin with an Aqua theme. Not to much work for Apple, and with Jagwire arriving on 2 CDs, there should be enough free space (or maybe not LOL).

Double click a UNIX binary, and it presents you with an option of launching it in a new terminal or running it in the background (&gt; /dev/null to *NIX people here). I think we can all agree on that.

Double click an XWindows binary, and it launches that app in XDarwin, with the option of outputting to a terminal.

Barto
  • Reply 12 of 50
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    This would be detrimental. Providing developers a cheesy way to port their apps to a small subset of Mac users instead of the whole. Leave XFree to the people who 1) know what it is, 2) want it in the first place.

I have compiled XFree on my Mac, but I haven't touched it for months. I have basically no reason to use it.
  • Reply 13 of 50
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    [quote]Originally posted by Chris Cuilla:

<strong>Nope. X-windows is junk.</strong><hr></blockquote>

it seem like me that there should be a way to do away with the client/server hoopla in the case of a single desktop user, as many x-windows users are...maybe there is and i don't know about it...is there?
  • Reply 14 of 50
    I don't see X-Windows being junk. In fact, with what I've seen from KDE and Gnome, I would say it is on par with Aqua and certainly better in some respects. (Virtual desktops are very hard to live without)

The main app I miss from XFree86 is Xemacs. The OS X version of it leaves a lot to be desired.

Brian
  • Reply 15 of 50
    bluejekyllbluejekyll Posts: 103member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>This would be detrimental. Providing developers a cheesy way to port their apps to a small subset of Mac users instead of the whole. Leave XFree to the people who 1) know what it is, 2) want it in the first place.

I have compiled XFree on my Mac, but I haven't touched it for months. I have basically no reason to use it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Do you really think all the Unix/Linux apps out there are going to get ported to Quartz/Cocoa from Motif or GTK? They are completely different environments. Essentially what you are saying is that you don't want the App at all. The Mac user base is not large enough for the plethora of applications out there on Unix to all be ported to Quartz.

Anyway the apps that I'm interested in are not ones that most Mac users have ever heard of, nor are they ones that they would ever think of using.
  • Reply 16 of 50
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    [quote]Originally posted by BlueJekyll:

<strong>

Do you really think all the Unix/Linux apps out there are going to get ported to Quartz/Cocoa from Motif or GTK? They are completely different environments. Essentially what you are saying is that you don't want the App at all. The Mac user base is not large enough for the plethora of applications out there on Unix to all be ported to Quartz.

Anyway the apps that I'm interested in are not ones that most Mac users have ever heard of, nor are they ones that they would ever think of using.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you want to make OS X slow as M-O-L-L-A-S-S-E-S, then put X11 on there. Aqua, IB are so much better anyway.
  • Reply 17 of 50
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    I don't use X-Windows. In fact, I'm not sure why I would. Im not against it or anything, but since I don't come from a unix background I don't know anything about X-11.

That said...I think anything that makes OSX a more robust environment is a positive thing. X-11 seems to fall into this category since many of you are using it (and this thread exists). How would an apple implementation be different than what is available now?

The 3rd parties seem to be doing a pretty good job w/XonX. Since the capability is already there for anyone who wants it, I don't see why Apple should spend its time integrating X-Windows when it will never be a 'preferred' environment (ie Cocoa, Carbon, Java).

I don't think an X-Win app should look like an OSX app any more than I think Classic apps should. These visual differences play an important role in the user interaction. When I see a Platinum window, I know it is in Classic and I am prepared for all the caveats that come along w/it. X-windows should be the same way.
  • Reply 18 of 50
    stefanstefan Posts: 24member
    I think it would be a good idea too. Darwin 1.4.1 includes XFree in the installation on the x86 version (not sure on PowerPC). On the x86 system XFree runs quick too
  • Reply 19 of 50
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    [quote]Originally posted by Keda:

<strong>I don't think an X-Win app should look like an OSX app any more than I think Classic apps should. These visual differences play an important role in the user interaction. When I see a Platinum window, I know it is in Classic and I am prepared for all the caveats that come along w/it. X-windows should be the same way.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I couldn't agree more.

The only problem with that statement is that there really is no true X11 look. However, with its ability to be skinned, X11 will always leave that choice in the hands of the user.

What I'd like to see is X11 acting more like Classic. What I mean is, I'd like to see a dock icon for each Application, and not one for XDarwin or OroborOSX. I think Apple could help out a lot with the project, and even a small investment on their part could bring large returns from certain communities (mainly the UNIX crowd).

I disagree that it should be part of the default OS X installation. I do believe, however, that it should be an option during installation. It really is a very useful tool that brings a huge amount of software to the table. Making the X11 experience on OS X (a bit more) seamless is far too large of an opportunity for Apple to pass up.

[ 07-02-2002: Message edited by: Ringo ]</p>
  • Reply 20 of 50
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    (oops, double post)

[ 07-02-2002: Message edited by: Ringo ]</p>