Steve Jobs may be facing surgery to remove pancreas - report

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple chief executive Steve Jobs could be facing new surgery to remove the rest of his pancreas, according to Bloomberg, which cites doctors familiar with patients in similar positions.

In 2004, the Apple co-founder was diagnosed with a very rare form of pancreatic cancer called an islet cell neuroendocrine tumor, which represents about 1% of the total cases of pancreatic cancer diagnosed each year.

The disease is curable by surgical removal if properly diagnosed from the onset. As part of the operation, which is similar to a Whipple operation, doctors removed parts of Jobs' pancreas, bile duct and small intestine, according to Bloomberg.

One potential side effect of the procedure 'is that the organ has to be removed to prevent pancreatic leak, and the patient has to be kept alive with insulin to regulate blood sugar,' Robert Thomas, head of surgery at the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre in Melbourne, told the financial publication.

"You might have to take the rest of the pancreas out," added Thomas, who's performed his share of Whipple procedures. "You?re on significant doses of insulin, and it?s not easy to manage. The person has the risk of severe diabetes."

If true, it would be Jobs' third surgical procedure since being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer four and a half years ago. In addition to the initial surgery to remove the malignant tumor, it was revealed last summer that he underwent a second surgical procedure earlier in the year to address an issue that was contributing to his weight loss.

In an email to Apple employees Wednesday, Jobs said he learned over the past week that his health-related issues were more complex than his doctors originally thought. The revelation came just nine days after he issued a statement saying that doctors had diagnosed him with a hormone imbalance that had been ?robbing? him of proteins, but that the remedy for the nutritional problem was "relatively simple and straightforward."

Joe Grundfest, a professor of capital markets, corporate governance and securities litigation at Stanford University, attributed the lack of transparency regarding Jobs' health issues to his "unusual and complicated" condition.

"When conditions are complicated, physicians have difficulty making clear decisions," he told Bloomberg.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple chief executive Steve Jobs could be facing new surgery to remove the rest of his pancreas, according to Bloomberg, which cites doctors familiar with patients in similar positions. ...

Yes and he "may" be abducted by aliens, and he "may" have his lungs removed, and he "may" live to be a hundred.

If you read the actual article it's pretty clear that this doctor is just being asked to speculate and he does. He has no facts, and no idea of exactly what Steve Jobs' health problems are. He's just spouting the same stuff you can look up on Wikipaedia on survival rates and probabilities.
  • Reply 2 of 45
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    So, given that the teams of doctors that get to examine the man in person and run tests have trouble figuring out what's wrong with him, the smart thing, according to these "analysts," is to get opinions on his condition from doctors who have never even seen him or his medical files.

Seriously, is this news?
  • Reply 3 of 45
    True enough. This is just more rampant speculation. Whether he does or doesn't have surgery, and whether he lives or dies, he's got more important things to deal with than Apple right now.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Well, my uncles has a friend who knows a doctor who's married to this woman who's cousin has an aunt who was married to a reporter who likes to put rampant speculation like this in print.
  • Reply 5 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

So, given that the teams of doctors that get to examine the man in person and run tests have trouble figuring out what's wrong with him, the smart thing, according to these "analysts," is to get opinions on his condition from doctors who have never even seen him or his medical files.

Seriously, is this news?

In the Bizarro World of Apple reporting, I suppose this is the best they can do for news.
  • Reply 6 of 45
    just wanted to said, im wishing steve jobs a fast recovery
  • Reply 7 of 45
    These speculative stories by those who don't have first hand knowledge of Jobs' condition are just that ... SPECULATION and hence, are not worthy of publication in my view.
  • Reply 8 of 45
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    See my post on the lawsuit thread. I gave my medical (and legal) position on his condition.

Yes, it's Dr. Cubert.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

See my post on the lawsuit thread. I gave my medical (and legal) position on his condition.

Yes, it's Dr. Cubert.

And here is a link that gives a fuller picture both of the nature and the complexities of SJ's condition. No wonder he wants a few months off -

http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz...reatectomy.jsp
  • Reply 10 of 45
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Ummm, Meelash, regarding your signature at the bottom of your post - Somalia has been a pit since their government fell in 1992 - way before the disastrous military operation that Clinton ordered or any U.S. involvement

Afghanistan has been a hole since the Soviet war there in the 1970's and 80's.

So, your argument has no supporting logic. It seems to me that suppression of basic human rights by radical religious fanatics (Somalia, Afghanistan, etc.) and/or ineffective government due to corruption (including the court system) are to blame (Liberia, Rowanda, etc.)
  • Reply 11 of 45
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

Be fair, now. It's not JUST opinions from doctors who have never seen his medical files.

It's also opinions from finance professors who have never seen his medical files

"When conditions are complicated, physicians have difficulty making clear decisions."

-- Joe Grundfest, professor of capital markets, corporate governance and securities litigation at Stanford University

(And to be even more fair, I--who know just as little about medicine as Joe Grundfest--think his statement is quite reasonable!)
  • Reply 12 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Well, my uncles has a friend who knows a doctor who's married to this woman who's cousin has an aunt who was married to a reporter who likes to put rampant speculation like this in print.

Does he work for Wired by any chance?
  • Reply 13 of 45
    If this is true, he's in for a real fight.

Being an insulin-dependent Diabetic myself, I can't imagine not having a pancreas. It's hard enough to control your blood sugars with a broken pancreas, but having none?

Take care, Steve...
  • Reply 14 of 45
    bspearsbspears Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

And here is a link that gives a fuller picture both of the nature and the complexities of SJ's condition. No wonder he wants a few months off -

http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz...reatectomy.jsp

Total pancreatectomy is a HUGE operation. It is NOT one that you bounce right back from. It will have major effects on his life and lifestyle. I wish him the best. That being said I have heard nothing that makes be believe that this is what is needed or what he is getting.
  • Reply 15 of 45
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Ummm, Meelash, regarding your signature at the bottom of your post - Somalia has been a pit since their government fell in 1992 - way before the disastrous military operation that Clinton ordered or any U.S. involvement

No arguments about Somalia in the 90's, except for the strange assertion about "the disastrous military operation that Clinton ordered". The Black Hawk Down incident was part of UNOSOM II, which was a continuation of UNITAF, which was a continuation of UNOSOM I under the elder President Bush. Blaming Clinton for the mess seems strange-- as you say, the place was unmanageable from the start. Hopefully we learned a lesson about overstaying our welcome in unmanageable situations in that area of the world.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    I thought the point of Mr. Jobs taking medical leave was to get out of the limelight to keep the distractions down from reports, just like this. This will be the last post I make on ANY message board regarding Steve Jobs health and condition, I hope that his health improves and that he returns, but I will no longer read these baseless stories or comment on them, and I'm hoping that others that feel similar will do the same thing.
  • Reply 17 of 45
    Pancreatectomy is a big deal. Anyone who has been to medical school in this country has probably come across The 3 Rules of Surgery at some point in their training:

1. eat when you can

2. sleep when you can

3. don't f@^& with the pancreas

That being said, I am sure that Jobs' surgeons are highly experienced and wish him the best in this difficult time for him and his family.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

I'm in a coffee shop right now and your comment made me laugh out loud. The chick beside me probably thinks I'm some kind of loon. thx.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    solarsolar Posts: 84member
    SJ walks out on stage at WWDC.

We're introducing 3 revolutionary products. a moisture proof iPod with thought based controls, a mobile Phone, and an artificial Gland Organ.

A moisture proof iPod with thought based controls, a mobile Phone, and an artificial Gland Organ.

An iPod, a Phone, an artificial Gland Organ.

An iPod, a Phone, an artificial Gland Organ.

You guys getting this.. ?

Introducing the iPancreas.

• Reply 20 of 45
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by codymr View Post

I'm in a coffee shop right now and your comment made me laugh out loud. The chick beside me probably thinks I'm some kind of loon. thx.

I'm so glad!