RAM for Mac Pro

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I want to add some ram memory to a Mac Pro at my workplace. The Mac Pro came with 2 GB 800 MHZ. Do you think I can add this type of RAM to it? This is not ECC memory.

Also, I have red that in order for the Mac Pro to work properly needs to have all the ram sticks of the same quantity (1 Gb for example). Is this mandatory? Could I have 2 sticks of 2 GBs each and 2 of 1 GB each?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Artanis View Post

I want to add some ram memory to a Mac Pro at my workplace. The Mac Pro came with 2 GB 800 MHZ. Do you think I can add this type of RAM to it? This is not ECC memory.

Also, I have red that in order for the Mac Pro to work properly needs to have all the ram sticks of the same quantity (1 Gb for example). Is this mandatory? Could I have 2 sticks of 2 GBs each and 2 of 1 GB each?

Oh yes it is error correcting memory. In fact it's even more expensive than normal registered ECC RAM- the current Mac Pros use fully buffered DIMMs (FB-DIMM). Even better, not all FB-DIMM RAM works in the MP, because that type of memory requires lots of cooling and the MP's fans provide so little airflow, the RAM requires special, larger heatsinks to work stably.

So you have to use Apple-spec 800MHz FB-DIMM memory. That stuff is expensive.

It is, however, very easy to add more to the Mac Pro. And it doesn't really matter if the sticks are not all the same capacity, but normal DDR2 will NOT work.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Artanis, OT?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Oh yes it is error correcting memory. In fact it's even more expensive than normal registered ECC RAM- the current Mac Pros use fully buffered DIMMs (FB-DIMM). Even better, not all FB-DIMM RAM works in the MP, because that type of memory requires lots of cooling and the MP's fans provide so little airflow, the RAM requires special, larger heatsinks to work stably.

It is, however, very easy to add more to the Mac Pro. And it doesn't really matter if the sticks are not all the same capacity, but normal DDR2 will NOT work.

They don't have to all be the same but they should be in matched pairs, per riser.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    artanisartanis Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

They don't have to all be the same but they should be in matched pairs, per riser.

So, I guess I can add something like this, I am reffering to the VSA4GBKITFB800D2 type (the 4Gb at the bottom of the list). The thing is that even this memory has a better price. The upgrade to 4 Gb on the apple website costs 500$ and if I buy this its 375$ and I get 6 GB of RAM.

I guess it will work fine, what do you guys say?