Industry watchers express confidence in Cook as Apple chief

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

... Or decide that non-removable batteries are not such a good idea. Are Apple fans prepared for that?

Watch the video and you'll understand why they did it. Then you'll also realise (surely even without watching the video) that the majority of their customers don't spend every day locked on an airplane for hours and so a non removable battery is a non issue.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Releasing a product that's not ready isn't the best way to prove anything. Tablet will come at CES 2009, if they attend. If they don't expect it for Christmas '09. Maybe, maybe earlier. That's a big maybe though.

Tablet schmablet. When it comes, it won't be to save the company. It'll be an aside product.

Tablets and net books are still niche products. Growing in popularity, yes. But as Apple have said, they are watching the market and they will enter when the time is right to make sure they make money, not when we say they should.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Who better than one who has the philosophy that you have to "Pay to Play!" and to think what you have is a "effin' Gold Mine!"

As a stockholder, I want someone who will get Apples stock back to the $199.00 mark, as quickly as humanly as possible!

http://media1.suburbanchicagonews.co...1.imageContent
  • Reply 23 of 41
    Quote:

This also means that a new CEO will not think all the same thoughts as Steve. A new CEO may do things much differently than Steve. Maybe a new CEO might finally make a midrange Mac tower. Or decide that all Macs should be easy to take apart and service. Or decide that non-removable batteries are not such a good idea. Are Apple fans prepared for that?

For comparison, look at the Terminator movies. The guy who created Terminator 1 and 2, and T2: 3D (James Cameron) had the vision-thing. The folks who took over on Terminator 3 sucked because they could used the initial films as their template. They didn't "create" anything beyond what was handed to them.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

As a stockholder, I want someone who will get Apples stock back to the $199.00 mark, as quickly as humanly as possible!

Not sure that will happen again for a long, long, long time.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmoeser View Post

Tablet schmablet. When it comes, it won't be to save the company. It'll be an aside product.

Tablets and net books are still niche products. Growing in popularity, yes. But as Apple have said, they are watching the market and they will enter when the time is right to make sure they make money, not when we say they should.

Why, who said the tablet would save the company?
  • Reply 26 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple

You can't fight this economy right now, you can only stay afloat.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:

Weather was an obscure hint.

Snow. As in Snow Leopard. Ha, gotcha.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    I think Cook, Schiller, and Ive together can somewhat duplicate most of the things that have made this company great and with Cook and Schiller maybe bring a little bit of levelheadedness and practicality back that has been missing while still having a visionary voice in Ive. That being said, you would also need a strong chairmen or CEO like Eric Schmidt above them to get the most out of them and maybe send then back to reality a bit, if they a little too bar into left field.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Quote:

Ireland, I hope your other "reason" isn't a tablet computer that's 11 or 12 inches diagonal, because that would be a financial disaster for Apple. Sorry, but it's a colossaly bad idea.

Isn't the iPhone a 3.5-inch diagonal tablet PC?

Not sure what my point is...
  • Reply 30 of 41
    I, for one, and quite happy to see the stock price only dipped $2 by the end of trading. To me that's actually quite a good vote of confidence, compared to some of the panics over Mr. Jobs' heath of previous months. No?
  • Reply 31 of 41
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blah64 View Post

Snow. As in Snow Leopard. Ha, gotcha.

Nope, I already guessed that in the other thread....

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...0&postcount=86
  • Reply 32 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Make Jobs chairman or something and Cook is CEO. Problem solved.

You know, that is perhaps the most brilliant, pithy, sensible suggestion I've heard in the past (depressing) 36 hours!
  • Reply 33 of 41
    Quote:

Weather was an obscure hint.

Hey, Ireland, don't do this to us in this dark moment, man: throw us a more concrete bone........
  • Reply 34 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rangerdavid View Post

No?

Yes!.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Hey, Ireland, don't do this to us in this dark moment, man: throw us a more concrete bone........

That's not a sexual innuendo I hope
  • Reply 36 of 41
    Agreed, a 6 or 7 inch Newton/big iPod Touch type of handheld would be brilliant. Anything bigger than that...........uhm no. Proping a 10 to 12 inch tablet on a desk like a picture frame and carrying around a keyboard and mouse to use with it would be beyond ridiculous. The notebook form factor is the only thing that makes sense at 10" or bigger.

I read an interesting article on Tim Cook today, sounds like he's had nearly the impact on Apple over the last decade as Steve Jobs. But your James Cameron/Terminator analogy is brilliant SpamSandwich, very few people have true vision, and Steve Jobs definitely has vision. Lets hope he does in fact make a full recovery and is able to return to Apple as CEO, and if not CEO then as a board member and advisor for the foreseeable future.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:

This also means that a new CEO will not think all the same thoughts as Steve. A new CEO may do things much differently than Steve. Maybe a new CEO might finally make a midrange Mac tower. Or decide that all Macs should be easy to take apart and service. Or decide that non-removable batteries are not such a good idea. Are Apple fans prepared for that?

More likely Cook is the type that would do away with all user-upgrades to make parts and manufacturing easier. Who says that all the above things are Job's? It might've been Cook since he's fanatical about dropping costs and let me tell you that the less the user can mess with, the cheaper it is to make.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

Or they might decide that some of those those really were very good ideas and stick with them.

I happen think Apple is spot on with non-removables. Time will tell.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

For comparison, look at the Terminator movies. The guy who created Terminator 1 and 2, and T2: 3D (James Cameron) had the vision-thing. The folks who took over on Terminator 3 sucked because they could used the initial films as their template. They didn't "create" anything beyond what was handed to them.

Except that the people being 'handed' everything happen to be the same ones who actually created and made it.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rangerdavid View Post

I, for one, and quite happy to see the stock price only dipped $2 by the end of trading. To me that's actually quite a good vote of confidence, compared to some of the panics over Mr. Jobs' heath of previous months. No?

The health issue's already reflects in the share value. Dips (panic) like you saw last night in after hours trading was emotion and unclear thinking, which is why it bounced back today.

On a tangent about emotional trading; IMO the root of our (the USA's) economic problem is greed. If one seeks out fundamentally strong companies that one truly believes in (AFTER DOING ONES DUE DILIGENCE), and purchases based on belief in those companies, over time, one shall be rewarded.

But these f*ckers that day trade, short the stocks or are in it for the quick buck cause 75% of our market volatility, putting further downward pressure on the stock price. Unless one's really lucky, the only way to make money is by payin' yer dues. Either with time or with sweat, dues must be paid. If you're gonna sit on your ass and jump in and out of the market based just on good news, bad news or emotions, you're gonna lose. Period.

I invested $20,000 in Apple in 1997. It bought me a little more than 4000 split adjusted shares (do the math for the high and current value). I will continue to ride the rollercoaster knowing that I will be rewarded for my patience. This stock will explode past its $202.?? all time high in the not so distant future (relative to my original 1997 investment). I'll venture to say late 2011. Sure, I wish I cashed out at its peak and bought back again at this level, but it'll come back. What's the rush, people? Don't be greedy.

Please don't slam me. I am only using these numbers as a demonstration to prove that cooler heads prevail. Although, you never can predict the market.

Hey Mr. H: I hope I used my apostrophes correctly. (Or is apostrophe's more correct if they are my apostrophes? Possessive plural?)