Can you connect to PPPoE and Network at the same time?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have DSL at home and have no prob. connecting to the Internet. However, when I'm connected to the Internet I can not connect to my LAN. As soon as I disconnect from the Internet, the LAN is back.

I'm a new convert to the Mac and OS X so it's probably something I'm doing, but I can't figure out what.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very appreciative.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    Have one machine perma-connected to the LAN, as a proxy server, and then have all the other computers connect to it for their IP addresses (DHCP). Just be sure to add the proxy's address in your web browser preferences.

With this setup, you can also add web caching software to your proxy server, or ad banner filtering software, and all the machines on the LAN benefit.

Just be sure to look into firewalling a bit so you aren't a sitting duck/windows user.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Thanks for the input but that isn't what I'm looking for. I want to know if it's possible to be connected through PPPoE to the Internet AND on the LAN at the same time with OS X, without having any proxies or anything else.

I appreciate your solution though.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    jjmnbjjmnb Posts: 11member
    Of course you can do that with Mac OS X, i do. You only need to get a program called gnat from <a href="http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx"; target="_blank">www.apple.com/downloads/macosx</a> (look for it). You have to connect the DSL router to a hub (with a straight cable) or if you have two network cards use one for the DSL (this with the supplied crossover cable) and one for the network. Good luck.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by Bombthroat:

<strong>Thanks for the input but that isn't what I'm looking for. I want to know if it's possible to be connected through PPPoE to the Internet AND on the LAN at the same time with OS X, without having any proxies or anything else.

I appreciate your solution though.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ahhh, you need to re-arrange your port order in the Network prefs pane.

Open System Prefs, Network Pane. In the Show pop-up menu, select Active Network Ports. Now drag Built-in Ethernet rowabove the PPPoE row. Now save and test it out.

Let me know if this works.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    funny, i was just asking someone how to do this at work today, as i just inherited a perfectly functional laserwriter pro 630, and it connects via appletalk. i can connect to my dsl under mac os 9 just fine and print, but under mac os x, i need to use pppoe for internet access, which prevents me from seeing the laserwriter.

i really want to avoid the hassle of setting up another computer on the network (heck, i'm not even sure where to put it), but i will if i must.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Create an additional ethernet port in the netwrok pane with apple talk turned on - the other with the PPPoe.

Configure to automatic and the computer will access what ever networks in the order presented in the ports pane( you can drag to reorder)

[ 07-01-2002: Message edited by: Aussie John ]

[ 07-01-2002: Message edited by: Aussie John ]</p>