(Prosumer Video) JVC gets in bed with Apple

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Yes JVC has created a Pro camera that records in native Quicktime format. You simply record to the SD card and ingest right to the Final Cut Pro timeline. Check out the video

http://www.pro.jvc.com/pro/attribute...spossible.html

Damn why must this stuff cost so damn much!!!! Or better yet why am I so broke? LOL.

The specs are solid.
  • Professional format recording with selectable data rates up to 35Mbps

• Native Final Cut Pro format

• Fastest HD shoot to edit workflow. Edit immediately without conversion or transcoding

• ISO Base Media File Format

• Compatible with all major non-linear editing systems

• Records to dual SDHC memory cards (no moving parts in recording system)

• Full HD recording (selectable)

• 1920 x 1080 (1080p24/25/30, 1080i)

• 1280 x 720P (p60/50/30/25/24)

• Fujinon HD lens with manual or auto modes

• Extensive image customization modes (gamma, matrix, knee, detail, etc.)

• Uncompressed LPCM audio (2ch) recording

• Manual level controls with audio meter

• XLR inputs with phantom power

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Yes JVC has created a Pro camera that records in native Quicktime format. You simply record to the SD card and ingest right to the Final Cut Pro timeline. Check out the video

http://www.pro.jvc.com/pro/attribute...spossible.html

Damn why must this stuff cost so damn much!!!! Or better yet why am I so broke? LOL.

The specs are solid.

720p/1080p recording

Up to 35Mbps bandwidth

Nice lens

Like you can't afford one.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I'm going to be very interested to see what Red's Scarlet does to this market. They're shooting for 3K sensor "complete kit" (fixed zoom lens and presumably the modular control slab thing that's part of the new system thinking and some recording medium) for $3750. Or you could just get the "brain" for $2500 and match that to a very nice lens for not much more, with the option of putting genuinely superior glass on when budget allows.

On specs alone it blows out stuff like the JVC, for less money, but it's hard to say what the finished product will actually be like. It could be that by the time you get it outfitted with some bells and whistles to bring the ergonomics, monitoring and I/O up to par, it's quite a bit more, but we'll see.

Really like the idea of fully upgradable, modular kit at camcorder prices, though.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Pics by itself don't do it justice.

The thing is tiny which is why it has quarter inch CCD and only does 10x zoom.

Should be a nice match for

A Steadicam Merlin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0WGUKzTFJM
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Damn

I want!

why can't ALL video cameras record in an easily investable format?

--

Irony is the REALLY over compressed video that keeps pushing the

"HD, HD I TELL YOU!!!

H fekin DEEEEEEEEE"

did make me chuckle

ps any chance you could make that pic a bit BIGGER murch?
  • Reply 5 of 22
    Holy shit, is that the biggest image ever posted on AI?
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I'm going to be very interested to see what Red's Scarlet does to this market. They're shooting for 3K sensor "complete kit" (fixed zoom lens and presumably the modular control slab thing that's part of the new system thinking and some recording medium) for $3750. Or you could just get the "brain" for $2500 and match that to a very nice lens for not much more, with the option of putting genuinely superior glass on when budget allows.

On specs alone it blows out stuff like the JVC, for less money, but it's hard to say what the finished product will actually be like. It could be that by the time you get it outfitted with some bells and whistles to bring the ergonomics, monitoring and I/O up to par, it's quite a bit more, but we'll see.

Really like the idea of fully upgradable, modular kit at camcorder prices, though.

I do too but realistically the Scarlet in a "sweet" config is a $6k camera. I'd rather work my way on up to it and make sure I can fully leverage the modularity.

This JVC camera is intriguing from the standpoints of size and rapid editing. If the street prices on this drop down to sub $3k I could see it being a pretty popular camera. I mean think about grabbing a stack of Class 6 SDHC cards and recording a BOS (bunch of shit) and knowing that you can come back slap the files on your hard drive and get to editing.

Here's hoping for improved performance over their solid HD7 effort.
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Oh, OK, now that the giant ass picture has been reformatted (rendering my comment above cryptic for the ages) I can see that it is quite small. Nice.

The thing I'm not sure about the Scarlet (beyond the final, configured price) is the ergonomics-- Jannard seems awfully fixated on his "butch" building blocks, but I like the lightness and easy handholding of something like the JVC.

Like you say, you can add handles and grips and shit, but the price starts to climb pretty quickly.

Still, for tripod shooting the base Scarlet is pretty intriguing-- the extra res means you can reframe images in post and still look good, plus you have more to work with if you're into effects.

But..... the native QT is nice. I get the impression that editorial workflow is still a bit of a bear with the high res Red stuff.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    sorry this is off topic, but rather than start a new thread, would any of you be willing to cast a comment on the Lumix FX150 as a more up market snapper?

any thoughts? or should I stick with a cannon?

"needing" to upgrade for an event in the summer and am starting to weigh options, will likely be using it with Aperture.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

sorry this is off topic, but rather than start a new thread, would any of you be willing to cast a comment on the Lumix FX150 as a more up market snapper?

any thoughts? or should I stick with a cannon?

"needing" to upgrade for an event in the summer and am starting to weigh options, will likely be using it with Aperture.

I think the Lumix FX150 is a pretty popular camera. Here's one list where it's #2 as the best compact camera of 2008.

http://www.digicamreview.com/2008/12...s-of-2008.html

Canon and Panasonic are my two fav digicam manf.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Holy shit, is that the biggest image ever posted on AI?

Time to upgrade away from dialup....
  • Reply 11 of 22
    I'm excited by this new offering from JVC. That said, the holy grail in this prosumer area has already been hinted at by both Canon and Nikon with their 5DMKII and D90 SLRs. By using a large, single progressive chip instead of three smaller CCDs, the cameras allow for truly filmic depth of field (bokeh)?without the need for a lens mount adapter. It's only a matter of time before this approach is implemented in video cameras.

The new JVC looks like it will be a strong contender at its price point, but we may be in for a welcome surprise or two this coming April at NAB.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

Time to upgrade away from dialup....

Yeah, Murch or the mods reformatted it after I posted-- I'm pretty sure specifically to make me look foolish.

As I originally encountered it, it appeared to be about 1500x1200.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Yes, it's cool and everything, but for most filmmakers, a 1/4", pixel-shifted CCD array isn't going to be anything to write home about. Sure, for home videos and vacations, this thing rocks. But, at least for filmmakers, it's not about the pixels, it's about imager size and depth-of-field. Though not a "real" video camera, a Nikon D90, with its near-Super 35mm sized DX imager is capable of producing stunningly "filmic" results in the right hands. No matter how "good" a small-imager camera is, its inherent, near-infinite, apparent depth-of-field kills the illusion every time.

Nikon was rumored to be working with a "large video equipment manufacturer" to produce what I would imagine to be a scaled-down version of a RED ONE. Future NABs and Photokinas should be getting very interesting.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 460FILMS View Post

Nikon was rumored to be working with a "large video equipment manufacturer" to produce what I would imagine to be a scaled-down version of a RED ONE. Future NABs and Photokinas should be getting very interesting.

I'm with you. Glad to hear that Nikon plans to stir the pot.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 460FILMS View Post

Yes, it's cool and everything, but for most filmmakers, a 1/4", pixel-shifted CCD array isn't going to be anything to write home about. Sure, for home videos and vacations, this thing rocks. But, at least for filmmakers, it's not about the pixels, it's about imager size and depth-of-field. Though not a "real" video camera, a Nikon D90, with its near-Super 35mm sized DX imager is capable of producing stunningly "filmic" results in the right hands. No matter how "good" a small-imager camera is, its inherent, near-infinite, apparent depth-of-field kills the illusion every time.

I think we're a little beyond home videos and vacations with this cam. Looking at the size it's clear that JVCs intended focus is for a secondary or tertiary camera for doing B-roll and other light capturing tasks. The benefit is its flexibility, XLR ins and PCM 2-Channel, SDHC cards and MPEG and Quicktime support for a fast workflow.

At $4k it's on the expensive side for a quarter inch CCD but I think street prices in a year will be just over 3K making it the ideal solution to choose over the Pansonic AG-HM150 which elicits groans when AVCHD and workflow are mentioned in the same sentence.

I think it's a step in the right direction and in a few years I expect it won't be the only camera with native Quicktime support.

I figure in a few years we'll be looking at a cam with SDXC support 4 channel PCM recording and CMOS sensors with a solid lens. We may even get and I Frame codec (like AVC-Intra).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDXC website

he next-generation SDXC (eXtended Capacity) memory card specification, pending release in Q1 2009, dramatically improves consumers? digital lifestyles by increasing storage capacity from 32 GB up to 2 TB and increasing SD interface read/write speeds up to 104 MB per second in 2009 with a road map to 300 MB per second. SDXC will provide more portable storage and speed, which are often required to support new features in consumer electronic devices and mobile phones.

SDXC could enable the larger vendors to challenge RED and their REDCODE RAW. As 460Films says I would not be surprised to see Nikon take advantage of its expertise in sensors and RAW and deliver Prosumer cams based on fast and low cost storage.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

Yeah, Murch or the mods reformatted it after I posted-- I'm pretty sure specifically to make me look foolish.

As I originally encountered it, it appeared to be about 1500x1200.

It was bigger than that, It had its own equatorial regions!

Quote:

I think the Lumix FX150 is a pretty popular camera. Here's one list where it's #2 as the best compact camera of 2008.

http://www.digicamreview.com/2008/12...s-of-2008.html

Canon and Panasonic are my two fav digicam manf.

Thanks for the link, its a close call between those three, but unless I see something new over the next months, I think I'll go for the Lumix, the HD video kinda sold it in the end
  • Reply 17 of 22
    LOL

I pulled the rug from under Addabox.

I posted that pic thinking that it was 500k....it was 5000k

It was HUGE.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Any information regarding release dates and actual cost?

I'd seen a mention of $3999 somewhere but no dates on availability.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Any information regarding release dates and actual cost?

I'd seen a mention of $3999 somewhere but no dates on availability.

April '09

I hope the street price hits at $3499 and drops to $2999 by Q1 '10.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    Quote:

I think we're a little beyond home videos and vacations with this cam . . .

Don't get me wrong--it's a neat product; it's just that there's a new product category developing in the prosumer video market, and the JVC seems a bit pricey for a 1/4" camera. Both Nikon and Canon have apparently begun to adopt the RED paradigm of what is essentially, a motion-picture capable DSLR with a single, large, DX- or 35mm-sized sensor. Others are sure to follow.