iPod Touch as a Music Player

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Is it me or does the iPod Touch suck as a music player?

I have been using my 2nd generation iPod Touch (16 GB) since they were introduced a

short while ago. I really don't like it as a music player. Here are gripes:

1. Awkward placement of the headphone jack.

2. When I am listening to a song, my iPod goes into sleep mode where I have click on

the home button and then on the slider just to regain control over my iPod.

3. Switching between landscape and portrait modes is way too slow at times (if not frozen). Often have to click on the home button and then on music just to regain

control over my iPod.

4. No playlist support in landscape mode. Because of #1, I need to place my iPod

horizontally on my treadmill. This automatically put the device into landscape/cover

flow mode. All my playlists are unaccessible.

5. The FM radio accessory doesnt' work with this iPod.

I have a couple more, but I can't think of them right now...

I am alone with these gripes??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Is it me or does the iPod Touch suck as a music player?

I don't think it sucks but I've found similar annoyance with it. The screen dimming issue is one that I don't like. You can turn display sleep off though and it still doesn't run down the battery much. I reckon I could get about 5-6 hours of music that way.

The landscape switch to coverflow really annoys me because I never use coverflow to pick songs.

If I could turn off coverflow mode, I'd probably be quite content with it, although I would like to be able to pause music anywhere when using the device. For example tapping the play button at the top right while in other apps.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    I own an iPhone3G instead of an iPod Touch. As a music player, the think the "iPod" application on the iPhone is decent and just as good as, if not better than, the iPod 5G I used to use.

The iPhone's screen lock is an annoyance at times, though.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post

I own an iPhone3G instead of an iPod Touch. As a music player, the think the "iPod" application on the iPhone is decent and just as good as, if not better than, the iPod 5G I used to use.

The iPhone's screen lock is an annoyance at times, though.

I think it's a fantastic player.

I've splurged though on a bluetooth stereo headset, my touch has been fantastic!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    I like it

1) not sure what's awkward about it

2 and 3) sound like a defective iPod. Mine never goes to sleep when listening to a song nor does it freeze

4) personal preference I guess, maybe invest in an armband and the new remote control headphones

5) oh well, Apple doesn't need to make sure their product is backwards compatible with every single device out there
  • Reply 5 of 7
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbwi View Post

2 and 3) sound like a defective iPod. Mine never goes to sleep when listening to a song nor does it freeze

Your iPod screen doesn't go to sleep when music is playing?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    mav5mav5 Posts: 36member
    you dont have to slide to unlock in order to access your music. All you have to do is double-click the home button. It brings up a little music menu where you can skip, pause/play and adjust volume. At least, thats how it is on my first generation
  • Reply 7 of 7
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Your iPod screen doesn't go to sleep when music is playing?

Oh, I read that wrong. I thought you meant your music stops playing and goes to sleep. I don't know why you wouldn't want this for the battery life? At any rate, you can change this setting to "Never" if you like: Settings>General>Auto Lock

One thing I wish my iPhone had were Profiles. I want to have different profiles for battery saving ideas when I'm not using it.