Apple among PC makers sued over OS permissions tech

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post

You can't patent an idea... only a specific implementation of that idea.

Besides, sounds like patent squatting... the "exclusive licensee" sounds like a holding company to me. I can't find any official web site for them, and the only references to them outside this story is that GITH appears on penny-stock spam.

On top of that, the patent is 13 years old, coming up on expiration...does this then qualify as a submarine patent?
  • Reply 22 of 39
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

The US Patent System is clearly broken.

Indeed. One possible reform would be to establish severe civil and criminal penalties for applying for any patent where prior art is known to or should reasonably have been known to the applicant.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Frivolous civil lawsuits are very common... and they need to be stopped. [?] It would save tax payers money and keep lawyers honest.

And thus justice would completely fall off the map. I happen to be a law student, and happen to know from experience and hearsay that a great number of cases are hard to win despite defending the greater part of the truth. Justice would dictate that you win. But there's a good chance you might not.

The system you are suggesting would lead to justice disappearing, because cases where you will not necessarily win would not be taken on by lawyers. Unless you're a big corporation or a rich person who guarantees the lawyer that he or she will be paid no matter what, despite the law.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    Quote:

Wouldn't the world be great where Lawyears could ONLY charge money if they win? How many frivilous lawsuits would never be started in the first place if that was the case?.

In 1970, Frank Herbert published a novel called "Whipping Star". In it, we are introduced to an alien race (the Gowachin) with a legal system where the losing lawyer AND his client are immediately killed after the verdict goes against them. Consequently, there are very few frivolous lawsuits in the Gowachin legal courts.

Again, Frank Herbert was ahead of his time!
  • Reply 25 of 39
    From Mac OS 7.5.5 and 1991.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Wouldn't the world be great where Lawyears could ONLY charge money if they win? How many frivilous lawsuits would never be started in the first place if that was the case?

Actually that is how it usually works. They work on contingency. What I would prefer is that if the plaintiff loses, they pay the attorney fees of the defendant.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    Quote:

Wouldn't the world be great where Lawyears could ONLY charge money if they win? ...

Isn't that how contingency works in the US?
  • Reply 28 of 39
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Actually that is how it usually works. They work on contingency. What I would prefer is that if the plaintiff loses, they pay the attorney fees of the defendant.

That could possibly work as well.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,744member
    As has been mentioned in other posts, permissions and access control are concepts which have been around since the dawn of computer technology.

What do these people do, pick up a computing science textbook and try to patent all of the ideas therein which haven't been patented before?
  • Reply 30 of 39
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quite possibly... if not, it OBVIOUSLY isn't a bad idea.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

As has been mentioned in other posts, permissions and access control are concepts which have been around since the dawn of computer technology.

What do these people do, pick up a computing science textbook and try to patent all of the ideas therein which haven't been patented before?

I'd like to know why the patent granting bodies allow vague concepts and don't reject applications with clear prior art.

Maybe the ones we read about are the few that slip through the cracks, but sometimes it looks like the crack is as wide as the Grand Canyon.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Too obvious an idea since the job of an OS is to manage and protect its resources. Pathetic patent office let anything through.

Someone should file a patent on the patenting process and put them all out of business.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    "...system-wide software permissions for defining the range of operations that computer applications may or may not perform..."

Ha Ha.

People at Microsoft are slapping their heads and saying: D'Oh!
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The two firms repeat the accusations, in whole or in part, against 11 other PC makers, including Acer, Alienware, American Future Technology, Asus, Dell, Fujitsu, Gateway, HP, Lenovo

Why are they suing hardware manufacturers if this is a software/OS interaction patent. You might as well sue the toaster manufacturer because someone stole your bread recipe.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,744member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

Someone should file a patent on the patenting process and put them all out of business.

Oh no... recursive patents! Opens up a new dimension in lawsuits.

• Reply 36 of 39
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mactoid View Post

In 1970, Frank Herbert published a novel called "Whipping Star". In it, we are introduced to an alien race (the Gowachin) with a legal system where the losing lawyer AND his client are immediately killed after the verdict goes against them. Consequently, there are very few frivolous lawsuits in the Gowachin legal courts.

Again, Frank Herbert was ahead of his time!

I really liked that book. If I remember correctly, the judge, prosecutor and even the spectators could all or individually be found guilty and executed on the spot. I keep coming back to this book whenever the legal system shows us how much of an ass it can be.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    i just patented the act of filing a patent and it takes effect today. retroactively.

i'm gonna be so rich.
  • Reply 38 of 39
    shaminoshamino Posts: 530member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

But the concept of each program in a multitasking microcomputer running in its own distinct memory space, with each program's memory space invisible and untouchable by each other program, is an idea that dates back at least as far as the design of the i386 microprocessor in 1986. Certainly it was common practise in minicomputers and mainframes even before that.

That was one of the key features of the VAX-11 series that distinguished it from its predecessor, the PDP-11.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

For any operating system that makes use of memory protection in an i386-derived processor, it doesn't matter how you shuffle the cards, it all distills back to the same mechanism.

I don't think this patents is about protected memory. The summary presented here sounds more like restricting which OS-level APIs can be executed on a per-app basis. It sounds a lot like Java's sandboxing, parental controls and filtering network proxies.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

What I would prefer is that if the plaintiff loses, they pay the attorney fees of the defendant.

While I agree that it would greatly cut down on frivolous suits, it can also end up stifling perfectly reasonable suits. If you have a completely legitimate suit against a corporation, they could throw a million dollars worth of lawyers at you and then make you pay for them all when you lose because your single lawyer isn't as good as the 50-person team he went up against.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    Another patent troll company!. They will loose big time. Lots of "prior art" can be proven way before 1992. It takes one big company like MS to defeat this, if they wake up that giant.