Videos: Woz on Steve Jobs' leave; parents on Tim Cook's rise

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak argued in a television interview this past week that he thinks Steve Jobs' temporary absence from Apple could be a blessing in disguise. Meanwhile, the parents of interim chief Tim Cook discuss the compulsive work ethic that's helped propel their small town boy to the top of Silicon Valley.

Steve Wozniak

Speaking on NBC, Wozniak said he has no reason to takes Jobs' explanation for his leave from Apple at anything but face value, explaining that some "rest and peacefulness" could translate into the next wave of innovation upon a return to the company later this year.

"What do you do when you rest? Sometimes your mind floats. A person like his is probably going to work out [...] better concepts and products, and the way the future can be -- the way we live our lives -- you know, more than almost any individual could," he said. "It's probably a great, great thing for Apple."

Wozniak also noted that technology companies like Apple have traditionally worked off long pipelines where products gestate for upwards of two years, meaning they "aren't going to be disturbed" suddenly due to Jobs' shift in day-to-day activities.

That said, Wozniak refused to speculate on whether Apple would remain as capable as it is today should Jobs fail to return to his post at the company.

Tim Cook's parents

Meanwhile, a local Alabama TV station caught up with Donald and Geraldine Cook, parents of Apple's acting chief executive Tim Cook, to talk about their son's rise to the top of one of the world's most recognizable companies.

"He's the kind of fellow that doesn't believe in giving up on nothing. He's a go-getter. He's a workaholic," said his dad. "Anything he started he finished. No matter what it was. If he got in it, he finished it."

"He's given a lot of pleasure," added his mom. "He won a speaking contest back in school and I don't know where he got that speaking from. We can't do that,"

And despite a workload that would make most people cringe, Cook never misses a call to his mother on Sunday morning.

"He calls every Sunday, no matter what, no matter where he's at," his dad said. "Europe, Asia no matter where he's at, he calls his Mother every Sunday. He don't miss a one."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    You can tell a lot about a man by the way he treats his mother.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    They had the inventor of the personal computer right there in there presence and they treated him like he was some kind of idiot or something!
  • Reply 3 of 25
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    I'm glad Cook has found success but I am not envious.

The problem with many people is work/life balance. If you have a family

it's imperative that you have this down. Cook, IIRC, has no wife or kids.

In the end the only accolades I really care about are how I rose to the challenge of

being a father, a husband, a brother and a citizen. That's still a work in progress

Good for Apple though. Workaholics are great.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    why this guy, Steve Wozniak, is still newsworthy?
  • Reply 5 of 25
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

Steve is still newsworthy because he has a great engineering mind. He knows Steve Jobs very personally, and has an outsided vested interest in apple.

I think the way Steve handled these jack ass interviewers was very professional. I also feel what he said is what reports need to listen to. I feel it's an interesting way to look at it. If Jobs has 6 months off and comes back... I'm sure he will have some very interesting ideas for apple. Steve Jobs is the type of mind that never stops thinking.

We all need to take what Steve Jobs says and move on. If you aren't comfortable with it, dump the stock and shut up. If that is how Apple wants to run the business and you aren't comfortable with it, then their stock isn't for you.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Maybe Woz will visit convalescing Steve and lend him a tablet PC.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,454member
    Side note... I'm glad to see Appleinsider is indirectly supporting Psystar by having their ads on the website . I know it's google ads and not completely in their control, but damn. Makes me not want to come here.

• Reply 8 of 25
    SJ will come back to,

a freshly invigorated mindset that's just rarin'

to share new ideas, (get some nixed, of course),

but also,

some embraced.

This is the core of "Great" corporate leadership.

Hand over the reigns.

I'm not happy that it's for health reasons, obviously.

But, it's still going to be a positive thing, nonetheless!

This is Apple.

Think Positive. They do, it's in their mindset!

P

• Reply 9 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

If you aren't comfortable with it, dump the stock and shut up. If that is how Apple wants to run the business and you aren't comfortable with it, then their stock isn't for you.

I think every statement from Apple should contain that right up front for the next 6 months!

I really couldn't agree more.
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Quote:

Side note... I'm glad to see Appleinsider is indirectly supporting Psystar by having their ads on the website . I know it's google ads and not completely in their control, but damn. Makes me not want to come here.

since my 2 ad blockers clean up almost everything I don't really notice annoying ads especially those flash moving ones saying "click me" or something to that effect.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    No offense to my southern friends in the U.S., but man, reading the comments from Cook's parents, I envision a nice quaint little house right next door to Bobby Boucher's Mom's house in "The Water Boy"

"He don't miss a one."
  • Reply 12 of 25
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"He calls every Sunday, no matter what, no matter where he's at," his dad said. "Europe, Asia no matter where he's at, he calls his Mother every Sunday. He don't miss a one."

His iPhone must be jail-broken.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

I think the way Steve handled these jack ass interviewers was very professional.

I agree with your terminology describing the interviewers. Seems nowaday, that's all you get of an interviewer. Anyone know of any interviewer worth their salt that one would enjoy the back and forth questioning in either the field of technology like Apple or the other spectrum news/politics?
  • Reply 14 of 25
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It's good to see Woz standing up for Steve. Usually when you hear about him he is criticizing some Apple product or other.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

The problem with many people is work/life balance. If you have a family

it's imperative that you have this down. Cook, IIRC, has no wife or kids.

I don't know for sure, but I do have pretty good "gaydar," and I'm fairly certain Cook is gay.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

No offense to my southern friends in the U.S., but man, reading the comments from Cook's parents, I envision a nice quaint little house right next door to Bobby Boucher's Mom's house in "The Water Boy"

"He don't miss a one."

No offense taken, but isn't it great that dialects and coloquialisms still exist. If we all spoke the same youse guys wouldn't have no one to make fun of.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

I think every statement from Apple should contain that right up front for the next 6 months!

I agree entirely. If they aren't happy with the situation, they can cash in their shares and go elsewhere. Contrary to what they seem to believe, they won't be missed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun

I don't know for sure, but I do have pretty good "gaydar," and I'm fairly certain Cook is gay.

This could explain the $100,000 donation. I get that impression from him too. You never know though, he might just be playing the field. Some people just don't like to commit and if he is a workaholic then it doesn't bode well for a steady relationship.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator

He seems to be quite involved with Axiotron, who make the tablet Mac Apple don't seem to want to make yet:

http://www.itsartmag.com/features/woz/

It's a shame it's so expensive because Wacoms with displays cost a lot and I think that a Macbook with a touch screen that allows pressure variations for drawing would be a big hit among designers on a budget, maybe design students.

12" Cintiq = £800, Mini = £390 (cheapest Mac setup) = £1190

Macbook = £930

Touch Macbook tablet for £1199 would work pretty well.

Thing is, this is Macbook Air pricing but I think the Air should have been this way to make more people want to buy it. Touch tablets are coming soon if they aren't out already:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/19/t...-new-protoype/

If anything, Woz and Axiotron are more newsworthy than Apple right now as Apple have no new products to show. Axiotron brought out a touch MBP.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

I agree with your terminology describing the interviewers. Seems nowaday, that's all you get of an interviewer. Anyone know of any interviewer worth their salt that one would enjoy the back and forth questioning in either the field of technology like Apple or the other spectrum news/politics?

Brian Lamb of CSPAN. But then he is very much alone. The rest of the so called reporters all want to be opinion generating columnists and have turned their backs on reporting in favor of pundancy.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    It sure is cool to see Cook's parents so proud of what he is as a son versus the amazing heights he has rose to within Apple. It's always neat to almost be able to "see" through print a parents pride no matter how old their children get. Someday our parents will be gone and we will sorely miss that! Very Cool!
  • Reply 20 of 25
    "He's the kind of fellow that doesn't believe in giving up on nothing."

That makes total sense !