10.0.4 to 10.1? Inattainable?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Well, I wiperd my 3GB drive clean on my iBook Rev. A and it has 160MB ram.

I installed 10.0.1 from the CD I own (just waited about a year, sheesh) and now i have gone through the Software Update panel and done what it asked and now the system is up to 10.0.4.

The problem is that now there seems to be nothing that the Software Update panel has left to get from the apple servers.

I went to <a href="http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/</a>; and tried to use the downloads they have listed (to many to mention) and on each installer, I am told that "You cannot install this software on this computer"

So, any hints? I am sorry if this has been covered before but I am at work (developing on a freaking PC) and trying to get home. Once home I will search the archives some more but between coming up with nothin at apple and googling, I am now just frustrated.

I should add that I am trying to upgrade to the latest 10.1.5 or for heaven's sake, at least 10.1 so that I can install some apps that demand it...

Thanks so much for any possible help!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    You have to pay for the 10.1 upgrade because it has so many fetures that 10.0.4 doesnt one of witch are an amazing speed improvement
  • Reply 2 of 8
    erikerik Posts: 18member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mount_my_floppy:

<strong>You have to pay for the 10.1 upgrade because it has so many fetures that 10.0.4 doesnt one of witch are an amazing speed improvement</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, I figured as much. Thanks for the answer.

As an aside, I find it poor business that I have to pay for a .1 upgrade. oh well...
  • Reply 3 of 8
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    actually, they called it a free upgrade. but, they didn't make it available as a download. it was a free cd in the store, or you could pay for shipping for an update cd. its a lot cheaper than a new OS, or even an upgrade. It was like $15-20 (american). I don't know how much it goes for now.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    bluejekyllbluejekyll Posts: 103member
    [quote]Originally posted by EriK:

<strong>

Well, I figured as much. Thanks for the answer.

As an aside, I find it poor business that I have to pay for a .1 upgrade. oh well...</strong><hr></blockquote>

They also gave it away at Macworld SF. If you have an Apple store near you they may give it to you for free.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by BlueJekyll:

<strong>

They also gave it away at Macworld SF. If you have an Apple store near you they may give it to you for free.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I have an apple store near where I work. Perhaps I will swing by on Friday and see if they will give me one for free.

Thanks for the great info folks. I am liking this forum so far.

It was over three years ago when I was a mac admin in the print biz. The internet development I do seems to be (at least for me) easier on (read: application preferences on PC) the wintel boxes. I just can't stand the interface that Gates puts out *shudder* horrid little boxes...

OSX looks great so far and once I get the upgrade I will try out some web dev/server tools. WooHoo!

[ 07-03-2002: Message edited by: EriK ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 8
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    I know OWC has some <a href="http://www.macsales.com"; target="_blank">http://www.macsales.com</a>;

go to clearance page
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Well, the kind folks at the apple store near me told me that it was a limited promotion to get the free or 19.99 CD for 10.1

The want freakin' $129 for it now... I'll wait till after MWExpo to see what is to become of Jaguar and maybe upgrade then.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    try a local compusa (if you are in the us). they still had some at my local store a few weeks ago. they will charge you 1¢ tho. so its not 'free'