10.1 on an iBook (rev A)

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
After years of hearing complaints from my dad regarding frequent crashes and freezes on his '99 rev A iBook (upgraded to 160 MB RAM), I gave in an upgraded the beast to 10.1.

Amazingly, it's been a joy to use since then. Performance is surprisingly good. I run 10.1 on a beige G3 (400 with 385 MB RAM, Radeon 7000) and the performance is nowhere nearly as good as what I've experienced on this iBook.

Frankly, I'm amazed. I'd nearly given up on this machine.

na

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Aqua on an 800x600 screen :eek: I'd never be able to do that.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    spiffsterspiffster Posts: 327member
    and EmAn, why is that. Its not as bad as it seems. Just turn on dock hiding, and its just the same as OS 9. In fact, the one window finder style is much easier to use on my original ibook in OS X than OS 9.

nagha, upgrade the RAM on the machine too. It actually supports upto 288 offically. I just put in a 256 module, and performace has vastly improved. I have yet to decided if i want to try to put 512 in there. I cant see a reason why it wouldnt work.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
  • Reply 4 of 7
    naghanagha Posts: 71member
    greetings,

i didn't know about the RAM upgrade possiblity. my dad uses it for very light chores (email, web, etc.) and the current arrangement seems to work pretty well.

battery life is a huge problem. whereas the beast works well with 9 and lasts for quite some time, X drains the battery very fast. i hope Jaguar does indeed feature better power management as this is really bad.

the other problem is that X is constantly trying to connect to the Internet even when no apps are running. it's quite annoying and interferes with everything. anyone else run into this problem?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ludwigvanludwigvan Posts: 458member
    [quote]Originally posted by nagha:

<strong>greetings,

i didn't know about the RAM upgrade possiblity. my dad uses it for very light chores (email, web, etc.) and the current arrangement seems to work pretty well.

battery life is a huge problem. whereas the beast works well with 9 and lasts for quite some time, X drains the battery very fast.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I've read in other places that - if your dad's iBook is thrashing its hard drive quite a bit, thus draining power from the battery and making each charge short-lived - adding more memory will ease the thrashing and extend the life of the battery's charge. (As you can perhaps tell, I don't know much about this.)

[quote]Originally posted by nagha:

<strong>i hope Jaguar does indeed feature better power management as this is really bad.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You could wait for Jaguar too, of course, as see how that makes matters.

[ 07-04-2002: Message edited by: LudwigVan ]

[EDIT: Grammar goof]

[ 07-04-2002: Message edited by: LudwigVan ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 7
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Yes...Mac OS X does that to me as well. For really silly things...unlocking the screen saver, logging out, shutting down(!), sometimes it just wont stay off when no apps are running so I unplug it. It's not so much of a problem anymore, as I've gotten used to it. Is this something that would make me switch back to 9? Nope.

And Spiffster, your sig should say Mac OS 9 smiles up at you. It's in Hell right now, not Heaven.

Down with OS 9!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    salmonstksalmonstk Posts: 568member
    Most liekely the OS is trying to set the network time when it trys to connect to the internet.