Apple profits edge higher on sales of 2.52M Macs, 22.7M iPods

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I was hoping a bit more for for iPhone sales.

I have bought two 16GB iPhones for Christmas. Sorry, I really couldn't afford more
  • Reply 22 of 38
    mystigomystigo Posts: 183member
    I did a quick check on after hours trading. At 6 PM the stock was up 7.32 on top of todays 4.63. So AAPL is trading at roughly 90. Could go anywhere it pleases from there though.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

Tim Cook: "We're not going to build a low-end voice phone. Our objective is not to be unit share leader, it's to build the world's best phone."

I stated it here at AI under another post.

Smaller technology, in a smaller form factor, Implies higher price point.

IF Apple is in fact working on a nano iPhone, with all the bells and whistles of todays 3G BUT in a smaller form factor, it will sell for $399 and up.

Tim just said as much.

Or I could take Tim's comment to mean that Apple will never build a phone that's just a phone (ie, a "voice phone"). There's an awful lot of room between a run-of-the-mill, non-smart cell phone and the iPhone.

That said, even as Apple's Mac market share has risen, you've never really seen them explicitly go after market share with things like big sales, slim margins, low-end offerings, etc. That's just not Apple's style. They focus on making good products that people want to buy. If it happens that so many people want to buy it and it increases their market share, so be it. (Ok, I know it's not that simple. The point being that Apple doesn't chase market share.)
  • Reply 24 of 38
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Check Apple's stock in after hours trading...not what it closed at. Don't get me wrong..I hope it goes up. Its just typically goes down.

Where do you go online to see that?
  • Reply 25 of 38
    mystigomystigo Posts: 183member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mello View Post

It's something I get with my etrade account. Not sure why I get it but it's free and it's nice.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Gladly...it looks like Apple's stock for once is going up and staying there after hours! Great to see....
  • Reply 27 of 38
    I think you can track after-hours trading with Yahoo Finance also, but after-hours trading has almost no effect on the regular trading hours results.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

A growth slowdown is clearly evident in these numbers. The lower guidance for the current quarter relative to the street's estimates further demonstrates that Apple has to respond to the economic backdrop.

Look carefully : it doesn't seem that bad to me...

[CENTER][/CENTER]
  • Reply 29 of 38
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

http://finance.google.com/finance?q=Apple

The parts that aren't in blue are after hours.

Click "Zoom: 1d" for the best look.

It's roughly 90 right now.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

http://finance.google.com/finance?q=Apple

The parts that aren't in blue are after hours.

Click "Zoom: 1d" for the best look.

It's roughly 90 right now.

I think it's probably more correct to say that "the parts that are in green are after-hours." (There are colors others than blue and green).
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Quote:

http://finance.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:AAPL
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think it's probably more correct to say that "the parts that are in green are after-hours." (There are colors others than blue and green).

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Maybe you have a different theme. Trading hours show up as blue for me, non-trading are gray. There aren't any green sections on the chart.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Quote:

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Maybe you have a different theme. Trading hours show up as blue for me, non-trading are gray. There aren't any green sections on the chart.

Just the default theme when I go to 'finance.google.com.'

Mine shows four colors of text: blue, green, back, and red.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pascal007 View Post

Look carefully : it doesn't seem that bad to me...

[CENTER][/CENTER]

Arhm, if you connect 1st quarter to 1st quarter, 2nd to 2nd and so on, you'll see that this last quarter is quite off trend, and the slowdown shows up quite obvious. Usually, christmas quarter is the best yearly quarter. What your graph shows is that the previous quarter was in fact better than this one.

This is a bad sign, for it didn't happen this way for years, perhaps decades.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Just the default theme when I go to 'finance.google.com.'

Mine shows four colors of text: blue, green, back, and red.

Text? I'm talking about the data points on the chart, not text.

http://demaagd.com/gr/gofi_grab.jpg
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Quote:

Text? I'm talking about the data points on the chart, not text.

http://demaagd.com/gr/gofi_grab.jpg

Ah, and I was talking about the "Pre-market" data shown in green-colored text in your file: You can see a price change number ($6.25) and % change number (7.55%).

Both of us are correct, apparently.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Given the performance of MSFT (5000 layoffs) and of NOK (massive drop in profit, market share, and share price), AAPL's execution in the past quarter is nothing short of astounding!
  • Reply 38 of 38
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Sony actually lost 3 billion.

There seems to be a lot of "what Apple must do to fix iPhone sales" or "now Apple reaps the harvest of being too expensive or not having a netbook" type stuff floating around, but Apple's results really need to be put in context of what's happening to everyone else.

By that metric, they're doing astoundingly well.