Windows 7 vs. Snow Leopard: Microsoft's comeback plan

Comments

• Reply 21 of 124
    Quote:

The Taskbar handles half of the features of the Mac OS X Dock; actually launching an app or document still requires navigating the Start Menu.

False. The new taskbar is both for launching and managing active windows. Glad to see he's even tried Windows 7 before writing the article...
  • Reply 22 of 124
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    What an ugly beast Windows 7 is. Another excellent article by Prince McLean.
  • Reply 23 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

Welcome to AI, jdawg. I actually like the tongue-in-cheek tone of Prince's articles.

They tend to be very informative, educational, somewhat sassy, a bit biased without

being insane, well-researched, peppered with well-crafted phrases that surprise

and delight . . .

He must have had some marketing experience before coming to AI, and he uses

it in a strange anti-marketing way when it comes to some products. I enjoy it!

It's a rumor site after all -- not the BBC. He writes for his audience.

Keep up the good work, Prince!

If you want the Mac punditry set to full throttle, visit roughlydrafted.com
  • Reply 24 of 124
    Microsoft will be bouncing back right after they lay off their 5,000 employees. Let's hear it for Steve Ballmer!
  • Reply 25 of 124
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member
    We have to beta test every Windows version that rolls down the pipe.

Although the entire IT Department lives and dies on Mac's the rest of the Corporate and Manufacturing infrastructure runs on Windows.

They have to because of the infrastructure and the programs accounting, engineering and manufacturing HAVE TO USE.

We would love to move to a mac environment but that is not possible, and believe me we have tried time and time again.

Our only success has been migrating users to the iPhone and exiting the endless nightmare that is Blackberry Administration.

But back to my point, I have to say XP SP3 is and excellent OS to manage and care for with few problems (We managed over 200 PC's and Laptops) if you have a protected infrastructure i.e. Barricuda, double layer firewalls, proxy servers, ect ect.

I would say we have had more problems with poor hardware (Hardware claiming to be solid for business's then come to find out there is a design flaw or manufacturing flaw from engineers after you have deployed 10 - 20 pieces in a live environment.) than Windows over the last 18 months.

When Vista came out we had already been beta testing (Albeit Vista Ultimate Beta) and we had a ton of problems, as have been noted around the web, but it was usable to some extent for admin personal (ONLY).

But when we order a bulk lot of some desktops and laptops preloaded with Vista Business we were almost fired because of it.

One of the biggest problems we faced was legacy applications i.e. AutoCad, MathCad, SolidWorks, OrcaFlex ect. ect.

We had a blue-screen failure rate of 35% which was a complete disaster for the IT department.

Had it not been our equipment represenitive (Do not want to name the PC mfg so as not to upset those Texans) helping us with XP licenses I don't know what we would have done.

I dont think we worked a day under 15 hours for about a month straight (Yes 7 days a week)

Now we are testing Windows 7 and to be honest we a very sceptical.

Let me tell you, it has fixed a lot of the problems we had in Vista but now we have a host of new ones

I am not here to pinpoint every little problem with 7 other than to say there are some seriouse problems with domain, drive mappings to samba servers ect. ect. (I know it is still beta).

I do hope that they fix these problems before they roll out the gold master.

We were already told from the CEO and CFO "You skipped the Vista rollout and now we are a version behind, we are not skipping the next one."

My point to this rambling is this, 7 is great for the user experience and people are seeing it but it still is going to have issues I think for companies and IT departments.

Officers, controllers, managers of companies don't care what it takes to "Make it work" but I can see a lot of IT guys stressing out over this.

I feel bad for those one man IT guys in a small companies.

You might want to pick out a new bed for your office.
  • Reply 26 of 124
    I have both Vista and leopard on my computer and have to use XP/Tiger at work. Getting a taste of 7 will be a nice change from Vista/XP. I'm always excited about new tech and believe Apple will market SL in a way that will be convincing enough for the sell. I know I'll be buying it, but then again, I love tech.

I don't really think 7 is going to stop the hemmoraging of Windows. The damage is done, people are losing faith in MS, and are tired of the same old song and dance, and many of the features won't be in the Home Basic version that came with their $399 laptop that they read about on MS's very own website. I know plenty of people that are miffed about not getting to use the Aero features on their cheap laptop.

The only pathetic thing is no matter what MS apes off of the Mac OS, those that have never used a Mac, only see it the other way around when they finally sit in front of a Mac. \ I've heard it too many times!
  • Reply 27 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdawg View Post

You could be a little less bias in this article. Using your logic Snow Leopard should be called Leopard SP1.

While I think there is obvious bias in the article, you choose a bad example to highlight it. The article states that Windows 7 will use Vista's kernal, making the OSs essentially identical with the exception of features or "look and feel" Snow Leopard consists of a rewritiing of the entire OS to 64 bit architecture, if I understand correctly
  • Reply 28 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontlookleft View Post

Why don't they just fix Vista?

That'd make the most sense, but then it wouldn't get them $$$$$$$.

Isn't that what the article is saying. Windows 7 is a Vista increment. It's not totally new. they're just marketing it under a different name to shrug off Vistas terrible reputation.
  • Reply 29 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

Welcome to AI, jdawg. I actually like the tongue-in-cheek tone of Prince's articles.

They tend to be very informative, educational, somewhat sassy, a bit biased without

being insane, well-researched, peppered with well-crafted phrases that surprise

and delight . . .

He must have had some marketing experience before coming to AI, and he uses

it in a strange anti-marketing way when it comes to some products. I enjoy it!

It's a rumor site after all -- not the BBC. He writes for his audience.

Keep up the good work, Prince!

You've got to be kidding. "biased without being insane"? "Well researched?" He's the one that posts the articles where people are *constantly* finding mistakes and poking holes in his logic, and his bias isn't subtle or funny; it's blatant and stupid to the point of being insulting to the reader.
  • Reply 30 of 124
    Quote:

You could be a little less bias in this article. Using your logic Snow Leopard should be called Leopard SP1.

Are you from MechanicalTurk.Com?
  • Reply 31 of 124
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

It IS called that, in essence (Snow Leopard instead of a whole new name) and I bet we'll find that the full version of Snow Leopard costs less than Windows Vista Ultimate! (And yet offers more.)

Also, there's no need for this article to address Snow Leopard in detail, when Leopard itself already has so many advantages over Vista and Windows 7.
  • Reply 32 of 124
    If MS were smart, it should be a free upgrade from Vista and a modest price upgrade from XP. But they'll drag this debacle on indefinitely.
  • Reply 33 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

It IS called that, in essence (Snow Leopard instead of a whole new name) and I bet we'll find that the full version of Snow Leopard costs less than Windows Vista Ultimate! (And yet offers more.)

Also, there's no need for this article to address Snow Leopard in detail, when Leopard itself already has so many advantages over Vista and Windows 7.

It's officially called 10.6. "Snow Leopard" is just a nick name. There's no bias if the author is stating that publicly MS is calling it 7.0 but internally calling in 6.1. The author is merely pointing out MS own contradiction.
  • Reply 34 of 124
    It's good to see that you try to clearify the different strategies behind the two OS but your article has a lot of mis-informations:

- the "MinWin" kernel isn't a single feature but a project to componentize the core of the OS. So MinWin was in Vista (graphic sub-system is no longer part of the kernel) and progress was made with the introduction of the SP1 kernel of Vista. Windows 7 will have a new kernel (6.1) even more simplified.

- MS HAS to convince people to buy their OS instead of another. Because people could just buy a Mac instead. You should know that!

- Launching an app or document does not require to navigate to the Start Menu: pinned items and Jump Lists are supposed to do that (in Leopard you also have to use Spotlight or the app window to start some programs or tools that aren't linked in the Dock)

- Accelerators aren't part of Windows 7 anymore

- you don't have to sign up to Windows Live to download the Essentials suit, nor are you ever asked to do so.

- the newest versions of Windows Live Essentials, Internet Explorer and Silverlight are also available for XP for free. That's one important reason why a lot of people do not upgrade to Vista.

- MS never attempted to tie Vista's desktop search to Live Search! Google complained because they want to use their search technology inside of Vista. Can you change the desktop search provider for Spotlight in OSX? You can with Vista SP1.

- MS did not jumped on the multitouch bandwagon. You may know that they have invested long ago in research projects (like PlayAnywhere) and that Windows is fully controllable with touch since the introduction of the Tablet PC Edition years ago.
  • Reply 35 of 124
    Quote:

Exactly. And Apple will be charging for Snow Leopard too (LeoSP1). I think we all remember the debacles we had in Leopard when it first came out? Loosing files on shared network drives ring a bell? So to be honest, no one is immune to this kind of a release.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to both OS releases.

BTW: This is an Apple supporter site, of course the article will be biased. I wish it wasn't so too.

Its like Fox vrs. NBC. I won't say who's who though
  • Reply 36 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

It's officially called 10.6. "Snow Leopard" is just a nick name. There's no bias if the author is stating that publicly MS is calling it 7.0 but internally calling in 6.1. The author is merely pointing out MS own contradiction.

They do not call it 7.0. They call it 7 because it is the 7th version of the OS (as they count it). The kernel does get the number 6.1 because of compatibility concerns. A lot of apps look for the main version number (6) before installation. Becasue Windows 7 does use the same driver models as Vista, this does make a lot of sense.
  • Reply 37 of 124
    snafusnafu Posts: 37member
    Touchscreens could become far more popular if the netbook builders keep imitating Asus and do "TabletNetbooks". Asus finally has greenlighted the one it had been showing around: it looks like being just perfect (and a great candidate to go Hackintosh ).

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/01...us_eee_tablet/
  • Reply 38 of 124
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TiAdiMundo View Post

They do not call it 7.0. They call it 7 because it is the 7th version of the OS (as they count it). The kernel does get the number 6.1 because of compatibility concerns. A lot of apps look for the main version number (6) before installation. Becasue Windows 7 does use the same driver models as Vista, this does make a lot of sense.

Wow.

How Microsoft obsessed do you have to be to try and defend this? And people talk about Mac users "drinking the Kool-Aid."

It seems some Windows fans have problems with reality also.
  • Reply 39 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TiAdiMundo

The problem with this rationale is that Windows XP was also 5.1, because of compatibilities issues with Windows 5.0 (Win2000, great OS btw), but it didn't got to be "OS number 6". That went to Vista. So the logic is entirely different. The only reason why Windows Seven is 7, although it is "6.1", is from a pure marketing point of view. They want to market it as being different than Vista, and Seven is a good marketing cool number.

Other way to see it is by asking what will be the number of next OS. Will it be 6.2? Or will it be 7.0, despite it not being "Seven"? Or will it pass "7.0" to "7.1" (which would be ridiculous) or "8.0"?

It's a ridiculous discussion, but what could one expect? We're talking about MS, after all...

Concerning OS Snow Leopard, well I'd argue that Grand Central and Open CL, and the great effort they are putting in changing everything towards Cocoa, and many other things, are all major differences that go under the hood. I'd say that it isn't a "major" OS, but then again OSX "Snow Leopard" is clearly a development of OSX "Leopard", regardless of it being "only" a nickname. People look to the nicknames more than the "numbers" (that's why Windows gets to be "XP", "Vista" and "Seven", btw, and not "5.1", "6.0" and "6.1")

Personally I expect Windows Seven to flop. But I really wanted it to be a good OS, for I do use Windows and I am sick and tired of Windows XP.
  • Reply 40 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TiAdiMundo View Post

If you really believe that the world's most ubiquitous platform can't handle a version number increment without failure, then sure, Windows 7 needed to be numbered as 6.1 internally while beta testers are told it is version 7000.0 and it is marketed as version 7 of the NT kernel OS (a system which never had a version prior to 3.1, but whatev).

Regarding the "Snow Leopard is Leopard SP1 !!!" comment, Apple has already released six free "service pack" updates to Leopard, and will likely pop out another one or two before SL appears. So no.

Additionally, Snow Leopard has a number of significant kernel updates that warrant a new major version number update (as Vista did), as the next segment will indicate. And of course, it wasn't the 6.0 numbering scheme for Vista that cause compatibility problems, it was changes to the driver model and other upheavals that did. So Microsoft is lying about having its hands tied at 6.x.