Apple pushing 17-inch MacBook Pro deliveries near March

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Initially promised for the end of January, the unibody version of Apple's largest notebook is moving gradually towards a late February ship date or later for more recent buyers.

Readers tell AppleInsider that their orders for the redesigned 17-inch MacBook Pro, still officially listed as shipping within 2-3 weeks for prospective owners, are now creeping towards arrival dates four or more weeks after the purchase.

In one example, a customer who just ordered his only slightly customized system on Wednesday now says his model won't leave assembly plants in China until February 26th, or nearly five weeks from when he pulled the trigger. The system isn't due to arrive until early March, or roughly two months after it was first announced at Macworld.

Australian readers are also receiving ship date estimates between three to four weeks after they place their orders for stock versions, while choosing the anti-glare display immediately pushes any shipment to between four to six weeks later.

Why the delays are slipping into Apple's system are unclear and may not be absolute. Readers are encouraged to submit reports of any delays for their own orders.

A reader's delayed order for a 17-inch MacBook Pro

Separately, others also report their copies of the Mac Box Set bundle for Mac OS X Leopard, iLife and iWork are slipping to a lesser degree. Apple maintains a January estimate even now but has started bumping orders to early February.

In return, one reader notes that his order was upgraded to overnight shipping for free without notice from Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I see one oddity in the picture, the line with VGA adapter, it has N0 - N zero, not "No" or "NO". All the other lines say "No".
  • Reply 2 of 54
    PCConnection told me mid-Feb. But I don't know if that's for the base models, or if it was specifically for my 2.93 model.
  • Reply 3 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mark 2000 View Post

PCConnection told me mid-Feb. But I don't know if that's for the base models, or if it was specifically for my 2.93 model.

I was told "end of January" and I just called and they said it will not ship until Feb 13th to arrive on the 18th. Oh Gleeee! Another month without a laptop. Why do they do that? Just say February. That way if you're late, no one hates you.

Seems like the excellence doesn't apply here......
  • Reply 4 of 54
    This is one of the many reasons that the SEC is invetigating Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 54
    I had mine ordered within 30 seconds of the store coming back up... Not that I expect that to matter much, but my Order Status still says "Ships: Feb 4" and "Delivers: Feb 9"

My fingers are crossed!
  • Reply 6 of 54
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacOldTimer View Post

Don't kid yourself.
  • Reply 7 of 54
    Ordered mine (in Australia) on the 11/1/08. Delivery now at 16/2/08. Almost five weeks!

Im just glad they made it and it is coming, thats the most important thing, for a while there it looked doubtful.

Good thing is though, they don't charge you until it has actually left the factory.

Perhaps they didn't expect such demand! (?)
  • Reply 8 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Why the delays are slipping into Apple's system are unclear and may not be absolute.

Perhaps the lunar new year festivities, beginning early next week, is a contributing factor \
  • Reply 9 of 54
    My order was placed on 1/7. Just checked my order and still has a ship date of Feb 5. Fingers crossed here too!
  • Reply 10 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MunkVsTheWorld View Post

Ordered mine (in Australia) on the 11/1/08. Delivery now at 16/2/08. Almost five weeks!

08? You've already had yours for almost a year?! I'm just kidding, we know what you meant.
  • Reply 11 of 54
    Mine will ship on February 10th and arrive on February 13th (original ship date has not changed). I ordered on January 11th.

• Reply 12 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Don't kid yourself.

My original quote was?

Ironic this comes the day after earnings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is one of the many reasons that the SEC is investigating Apple.

What exactly am I kidding myself about. Apple mislead the consumer and the product wasn't ready to be shipped.

It's a long string of not commenting about headlines on every product line that has lead to so many class action law suits.

Monitors

Graphic Cards

PowerBooks

iPhones

The list could go on but it only makes my point. Many in this room (some ignorant and some people that really know what they are talking about) have posted the same frustrations.

Are other manufacturers perfect, by no means, but at least they acknowledge a problem before it comes a Class Action Law suit.

That is not good customer service and the reason I switched to MS. I own every iPod as well as every iPhone.

The iPod's were great and still are the 3G is a rev 1 phone with nothing worth upgrading for. A bad investment on my side. I?ve learned from my mistake.
  • Reply 13 of 54
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:

My original quote was?

Ironic this comes the day after earnings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is one of the many reasons that the SEC is investigating Apple.

What exactly am I kidding myself about. Apple mislead the consumer and the product wasn't ready to be shipped.

It's a long string of not commenting about headlines on every product line that has lead to so many class action law suits.

Monitors

Graphic Cards

PowerBooks

iPhones

The list could go on but it only makes my point. Many in this room (some ignorant and some people that really know what they are talking about) have posted the same frustrations.

Are other manufacturers perfect, by no means, but at least they acknowledge a problem before it comes a Class Action Law suit.

That is not good customer service and the reason I switched to MS. I own every iPod as well as every iPhone.

The iPod's were great and still are the 3G is a rev 1 phone with nothing worth upgrading for. A bad investment on my side. I?ve learned from my mistake.

Perhaps you never experienced Dell customer service comparing to Apple's. You obviously don't know much about Apple and other companies by your judgment.

I really hate how Apple is always on pedestal, while people don't give a *** about other companies products being delivered on time. Maybe cuz Apple actually cares about a product and delivers it when its perfect.
  • Reply 14 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

08? You've already had yours for almost a year?! I'm just kidding, we know what you meant.

What! We're in 2009 already? When did that happen!?
  • Reply 15 of 54
    Obama needs to warm up relations with Cuba so we can take advantage of that cheap communist peasant labor a little closer to home. Who can wait after an impulse buy?
  • Reply 16 of 54
    I bought my 17" custom configured MBP on January 6, 2009. It suppose to ship on February 4 with the 9th as a delivery date.

Order Date: Jan 6, 2009 at 10:58 AM PST

Custom configuration

| Show Hide

2.93GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM 2X2GB

320GB Serial ATA @ 7200 rpm

SuperDrive 8X

DISPLAY-HI RES, GL,Widescreen

No DVI Adapter

N0 VGA Adapter

Apple Remote

No IWork Preinstalled

No Final Cut Exp Preinstalled

No Aperture Preinstalled

No Logic Exp Preinstalled

No Filemaker Preinstalled

No Microsoft Office Preinstall

KYBD/User's Guide

Country Kit

Image \t

Gift message

| Edit | Remove

Add a gift message

\t

\t\t\t\t\t

Ships: Feb 4 \t\t\t\t\t\t

Delivers: Feb 9 \t\t\t\t\t\t

• Reply 17 of 54
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:

Not sure about that.

I believe payments are only processed after the sale ? so no money issues. So why would this be part of the investigation?

Again, WE are to blame (at least a bit).

EVERYONE here is sitting (albeit not very patiently) for the next NEW and EXCITING thing to come from Apple. They announce it, and now they are being investigated for it. Folks if this keeps up, Apple and others will only announce stuff AFTER it's been on sale for a few months.

Skip
  • Reply 18 of 54
    UK Purchase

Order Date: Jan 21, 2009 (albeit more recent than everyone elses)

Estimated Shipping: 18 Feb, 2009

Estimated Delivery: 24 Feb, 2009

2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM 2X2GB

SuperDrive 8X

DISPLAY-HI RES, GL,Widescreen

Mini DisplayPort - DVI Adapter

N0 VGA Adapter

No Remote

No IWork Preinstalled

No Aperture Preinstalled

KYBD/User's Guide -B

Country Kit-GBR

Still within the 3-4 weeks of when I ordered it, lets just hope it keeps that way!
  • Reply 19 of 54
    Apple not shipping its productions on time?! Incomprehensible!
  • Reply 20 of 54
    Order Date: Jan 7, 2009

Not yet shipped

MBP 17/CTO

Custom configuration

2.93GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM 2X4GB

SuperDrive 8X

DISPLAY-HI RES, Widescreen

Mini DisplayPort - DVI Adapter

N0 VGA Adapter

No Remote

No IWork Preinstalled

No Aperture Preinstalled

Ships: Feb 20\t\t\t\t\t\t

Delivers: Feb 25

I guess the custom config sent me to the back of the line.