Does an 80GB iPod Classic support charging over firewire?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Just a quick q.

Since my new nano doesn't work with my car stereo, I'm looking for something older to use in my car. With a drive that big I could have ALL my music with me in my car, which would be nice, and then the nano would be for carrying around n stuff.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    The 80 GB iPod Classic, which I think is the 5th generation of iPods, uses USB2 for charging.

Why do you need firewire, if I may ask?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

The 80 GB iPod Classic, which I think is the 5th generation of iPods, uses USB2 for charging.

Why do you need firewire, if I may ask?

Well, for some reason the latest iPod nano's (which I purchased) refuse to work with my Sony car radio (it has a built-in iPod connector).

I tested it with a first gen nano and a fatty nano and both worked flawlessly, so the only possible reason I can think of is the lack of firewire charging options.

The Sony headset probably outputs 12 volts to the iPod, but the new nano can't handle those apparently.

Since the 80gig Classic was released together with the fatty nano I assumed it would have fw-charging, and probably the exact same interface as the fatty, thus it would work in my car and I could use it as a sort of media hardrive and keep it in my car permanently or something like that.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Does your car stereo have a 3.5mm auxiliary jack connection? If it does, get the Griffin Technology AutoPilot unit, which outputs the audio through the iPod data connector and can charge any iPod that uses the USB +5V connection.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SactoMan01 View Post

Does your car stereo have a 3.5mm auxiliary jack connection? If it does, get the Griffin Technology AutoPilot unit, which outputs the audio through the iPod data connector and can charge any iPod that uses the USB +5V connection.

Thanks for that tip. I currently connect through the aux in on my stereo (with a jack-jack cable), but I must say sound quality is poor compared to connecting via the iPod connector.

And at that price, getting the most recent compatible iPod (turns out the 80gig Classic SHOULD be compatible, at least some Googling tells me it can be charged via FW...) and sell my nano might be more interesting... or keep the nano anyway, I don't know.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Thanks for that tip. I currently connect through the aux in on my stereo (with a jack-jack cable), but I must say sound quality is poor compared to connecting via the iPod connector.

And at that price, getting the most recent compatible iPod (turns out the 80gig Classic SHOULD be compatible, at least some Googling tells me it can be charged via FW...) and sell my nano might be more interesting... or keep the nano anyway, I don't know.

I'd recommend the Griffin Technology AutoPilot, since it offers two advantages:

1) You get true line-level output through the iPod data connector, with vastly better sound quality than the headphone out to auxiliary in connection.

2) Because the AutoPilot uses the +5 V USB power line to charge iPods, it will charge all iPod models that charge through the USB line--including the current 4G iPod nano, "6.5G" iPod classic and the 2G iPod touch.

You can read more about the AutoPilot on this web page:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/autopilot
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SactoMan01 View Post

I'd recommend the Griffin Technology AutoPilot, since it offers two advantages:

1) You get true line-level output through the iPod data connector, with vastly better sound quality than the headphone out to auxiliary in connection.

2) Because the AutoPilot uses the +5 V USB power line to charge iPods, it will charge all iPod models that charge through the USB line--including the current 4G iPod nano, "6.5G" iPod classic and the 2G iPod touch.

You can read more about the AutoPilot on this web page:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/autopilot

Ah, the true line out sounds very cool.

BUT

Today I realised I never tried to plug my nano on since the 1.0.3 firmware, so I did, and lo and behold, it connected to my head unit.

However, browsing the library was very slow and gave a lot of errors, and of course it didn't charge. So, I unplugged it and reconnected it, but then I once again got the read error. So now I'm thinking it might just be a problem with my nano's dock connector. I'll go to the Apple store asap and see what they say.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Ah, the true line out sounds very cool.

However, browsing the library was very slow and gave a lot of errors, and of course it didn't charge. So, I unplugged it and reconnected it, but then I once again got the read error. So now I'm thinking it might just be a problem with my nano's dock connector. I'll go to the Apple store asap and see what they say.

Give it up and get the AutoPilot. At least with AutoPilot you can even do basic playback control of your 4G iPod nano.