"Cash For Laptops" reliability

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
my ti finally did it... may it rest in peace, its power cord went and the battery is too old to run for more than 15 minutes without going to sleep. i've been looking for the longest time for a buyer of it and recently found www.cashforlaptops.com although i'm a bit leary about them, it seems very hard to contact and i'd like to get some money for that hunk of junk so that i can try to get a new mac once the new OS is here. has anyone ever heard of this company? anyone willing to promote them or give me a warning not to sell to them...

any and all help would be great, thanks

-PS a.k.a seelman

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PS5533 View Post

my ti finally did it... may it rest in peace, its power cord went and the battery is too old to run for more than 15 minutes without going to sleep. i've been looking for the longest time for a buyer of it and recently found www.cashforlaptops.com although i'm a bit leary about them, it seems very hard to contact and i'd like to get some money for that hunk of junk so that i can try to get a new mac once the new OS is here. has anyone ever heard of this company? anyone willing to promote them or give me a warning not to sell to them...

-PS a.k.a seelman

I know nothing about that company, but did you check out eBay?

You didnt say what model Ti book you had, but less than a year ago I had to buy a top and botom case (damn dogs and non MagSafe power adapters) for my 15inch 1GHz Ti book and spent over $100 and was glad to get it. If you know how to pull the pieces off right and part it out it may be worth a bit.

Or sell it whole and let someone else deal with it. I can't see why some company would pay significantly more than eBay (or else they would just buy them there, no?)...

Last word, whatever you do with it, try to wipe the HD well (or keep it) I can't stand the thought of all my bank info, e-mails, and passwords out there for anyone with a little skill to pick up...
  • Reply 2 of 25
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    or you could just get a new cord and battery...
  • Reply 3 of 25
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

or you could just get a new cord and battery...

for a 5+ year old laptop that doesn't run that well to begin with? i'd rather just get whatever i can out of it and get a mini... i never used the laptop for travel or anything like that so i might as well go inexpensive and small... like i do with my hookers
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PS5533 View Post

-PS a.k.a seelman

I almost sold to cashforlaptops.com but when I researched them online, it made me feel uncomfortable. There are a lot of complaints online about their service and communication. It seems they do not answer calls or e-mails promptly. Though most confirm receipt of payment at some point, a few complained about not receiving the promised amount. The bottom line for me was I simply was not ready to do business with a company that had mixed reviews. I considered beyondthepod.com and jaybrokers.com. I ended up going with jaybrokers.com because they offered me the most money. I think they are a smaller operation, but extremely well run. I got the check in a few days, which I thought was pretty good through regular mail. The only downside to jaybrokers.com is you have to pay for the shipping to them (many others pay for shipping). All in all though, I ended up getting the most from them even after paying shipping to them. I have a $25 bonus referral voucher that I can share with you that gives you $25 extra on your first deal of $300 or more. Just e-mail me and I'll give you the info you need to get it.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Jaybokers don't send box - too bad. That is great convenience when selling laptop to online service. You order the service and they take care of everything. You only pack your laptop and stick label on the box. You can do it practically without leaving your house. I ordered courier pick it up form my place. Also check their quote engine- they don't have it!

You send email to see how much they pay.

There are new "laptop recycling" businesses that do everything to satisfy customers to built they name. They are much faster and nicer. You can actually call them and talk to alive person. The last service I used is www.laptoptraderexpress.com and I like their job. I assume they are new on the market because I got really nice box.

I remember selling my laptop on ebay. Three times someone placed fake bid.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Was so good! Gave me exact instant quote at a high price, and then paid me thru PayPal the next day. Seriously stoked.
  • Reply 7 of 25
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    In the past year eBay has been slammed by a lot of Nigerian scamming and what not. eBay is facing significant challenges in that department. This is why for electronics, most sellers do not even consider selling outside the USA anymore. I tried selling my iPhone 3G a few time and it just got hammered by scammers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FunkyhCAT View Post

Jaybokers don't send box - too bad. That is great convenience when selling laptop to online service. You order the service and they take care of everything. You only pack your laptop and stick label on the box. You can do it practically without leaving your house. I ordered courier pick it up form my place. Also check their quote engine- they don't have it!

You send email to see how much they pay.

There are new "laptop recycling" businesses that do everything to satisfy customers to built they name. They are much faster and nicer. You can actually call them and talk to alive person. The last service I used is www.laptoptraderexpress.com and I like their job. I assume they are new on the market because I got really nice box.

I remember selling my laptop on ebay. Three times someone placed fake bid.

• Reply 8 of 25
    Please do not use cashforlaptops! I submitted mailed a uesd but perfectly usable Dell to Cashforlaptops. The first problem I had was that the company tells you you can call UPS to pick up the box when you are ready to ship, so you do not have to drop it off at the UPS station. However, what they do not tell you is that there is a $10 surcharge if the UPS comes to your house to pick up the box. Secondly, I received a call and was told that my battery does not work and does not power up to the minimum 40 minutes without being plugged in. This was simply not true! On top of that-- as a result, they were going to give me 60% of the original quote! When I stated that I had used the laptop only two weeks before mailing it and the battery was fine, the rep I spoke with took a minute and basically said, "Oh yea, you're right. The battery's fine, but there are all these small cosmetic defects, (e.g. the on key is blurry) and therefore, we can still only offer you 60% of the original quote." Bottom line: becareful when you do business with these people. They are not as transparent as you might think!
  • Reply 9 of 25
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    sorry to hear it, i ended up using them a few years ago and found no problems selling them my macbook -- in all fairness to the people @ cashforlaptops.com
  • Reply 10 of 25
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Kijiji, ebay, etc.

Plenty of people willing to get a near-working condition Apple notebook. Good resale value, even if it needs a bit of work.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    joey fjoey f Posts: 1member
    I can't begin to express my frustration with this extremely shady company. They quoted me $280 for my iphone, which was in perfect condition. Didn't hear from them for weeks. Finally, got an email saying "sorry, there are the following flaws with your iphone" -- and they went on to list the most ridiculous generic techno-talk a la port re-fracture mark, etc and said that due to these "defects" they could now only pay $150. Trust me, that phone was perfect -- not a scratch. I wrote to them saying this was not acceptable -- that they should either pay me the original agreed amount or send back the phone. I really would have been FINE with everything had they just sent back my phone as requested. They did not. Then they ignored weeks of emails. Finally I sent them an email with STOLEN PROPERTY in the subject to get their attention. A week after that, they agreed to send back my property. Although I received an email with a UPS tracking number, I have still not received the actual phone. The whole vibe was really really shady. Not recommended at all.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    stevegmustevegmu Posts: 539member
    What are you thinking of selling it for?
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Extremely suspicious online company.

It quotes a price online for used equipment (laptop, cell phone, desktop, etc.), then sends a prepaid mailer by UPS. A technician evaluates the product, and calls or emails with the price the company is willing to pay for the product.

In my case, I was quoted $110 for a used iPhone 3GS with a non-working battery, but complete with cables and the original box. Otherwise, the phone was in great condition.

The technician called and offered only $5, saying the cables weren't included and read off a mumbo-jumbo technical litany of problems with the phone.

It was obvious that this approach is quite suspicious. Too, the company (based in Sparks, Nevada) published its news releases online and put "The Wall Street Journal" and "Forbes" alongside the releases to give the impression that the news releases appeared verbatim in those publications. This is not only misleading, but also unethical.

The company is not accredited by the Better Business Bureau, numerous consumer complaints have been filed with the Reno Better Business Bureau, and the company earns a "C" (on a scale from A+ through F) based on the files the local Better Business Bureau does have.

See the report here: http://www.bbb.org/reno/business-rev...eno-nv-4001245

Unless you can find a reputable dealer, it's probably a better idea to take the online quote from this company, donate the item to charity, then take the quote given by the company as the amount to list as an itemized tax deduction.

At any rate, this is a company, in my opinion, that you should not trust.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    It's been a month since I sent my iPad 3g 32Gb, and I received this today, Device Price Change Approval and it's not even half of what I was quoted, I expected to receive $475 and the price in my quote of $220.

THIS COMPANY IS SHADY BEYOND BELIEF

It was in perfect CONDITION and I do mean perfect. It never left my desk. I refused the offer and expect my iPad 3g 32Gb to be in PERFECT CONDITION when the return it to me. I not going to take it laying down!!!!
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jgsaxon62 View Post

It's been a month since I sent my iPad 3g 32Gb, and I received this today, Device Price Change Approval and it's not even half of what I was quoted, I expected to receive $475 and the price in my quote of $220.

THIS COMPANY IS SHADY BEYOND BELIEF

It was in perfect CONDITION and I do mean perfect. It never left my desk. I refused the offer and expect my iPad 3g 32Gb to be in PERFECT CONDITION when the return it to me. I not going to take it laying down!!!!

I'm sorry. When the person called me back the upped the offer to $450, while not what I expected, but not bad.\
  • Reply 16 of 25
    This place is a scam. I was quoted 220 for perfect working IBM laptops. Received a phone call from them letting me know they would offer 50 bucks total since they had cosmetic damage and were not in working condition. I had them sent back to me and they are perfect cosmetically and in perfect working order. Good luck with these guys.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    I was dumb and greedy and didn't do my homework on this company before I sent them my iPad and iPhone. They had the highest offer and now I see why. I'm a little nuts about keeping my equipment in pristine condition and use plastic screen "savers", cases and sleeves. I took these off and took a close look at everything to ensure I disclosed any scratches but there were none. Cashforlaptops sent me emails for a month saying someone would be calling me to complete my payment. No mention of any issues. I tried calling them multiple times and had long wait times and was disconnected several times. When I finally reached someone I had been waiting for for about 15 minutes so I had some time to research them. Basically what everyone else had been saying came true for me. They offered me less than half of what they said they would pay because of "compromised" screens on both. I asked them to ship them back and then they increased their offer but only slightly. I insisted on getting them back and then the guy put me on hold for a long time and said they would be shipped back and they would send me a tracking number. As of now I don't have the items nor do I have a tracking number as they said they would send. There are some legitimate companies out there but if the offer seems too good to be true, it probably is!

p.s. I expect that the company is monitoring these websites and are creating false posts from people who said they had a positive experience with them.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    OK. So I scoured the internet trying to find a place that'll take my three used laptops. I went to OfficeMax when they were running their "trade in" program. What a joke that was. They offered to take if off my hands and give me NOT ONE DIME for them. That's right - Three! Fat chance ya lousy bums!!

So glad I read this post so I know to avoid Cash for Laptops. I was thinking of using them. On a leap of faith and very little reviews about LaptopTraderExpress.com, I'm not sure why, but I went with them. I am not easily impressed since I work in the customer service industry but I was impressed with them. They sent me a big box (prepaid UPS label) that fit all three of my laptops in with all these sponge inserts to protect the laptops. Very well pre-packaged! Again, so I was impressed but still very skeptical...is this the hook? Just a great box but then they're going to hose me on the value of the laptops once they get them? I shipped them back last week and lo and behold, I checked paypal today and sure enough they put $255 into my account...every penny they said they would pay. Hooray!! So I felt compelled to write this. It helped offset the cost of my new computer. So laptop trader express gets my thumbs up...Way up!!
  • Reply 19 of 25
    No, pitching the same type of scam in a thread about avoiding scams isn't going to work?
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, pitching the same type of scam in a thread about avoiding scams isn't going to work?

I vote that the thread gets locked to keep it from being resurrected again.