NOTICE: iTunes Remote Problems perhaps other apps too...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
This is really just a heads up more than anything else but I wanted to give it a post of it's own so it didn't get buried in just one of the many existing iTunes Remote App threads.... Since this 'issue' can affect just about any iPhone app that needs to find 'something' (some hardware device/your iTunes servers/etc) on **your** own local network... For instance, I'm writing an app that will allow me to control all the lighting (and some other stuff) around the house that utilize Insteon home automation controllers and switches. It's so cool being down in the family room and being able to turn off any light I want all from the comfort of my couch (and the iPod Touch). Anyway I'm getting ahead of myself...

Background:

I installed the iTunes Remote on my iPod Touch and it worked without a hitch and I was having loads of fun messing around with it... I then put down the iPod to do some other stuff and then went back to it later only to find the Remote App could no longer find the iTunes server....

I tried everything...

- Hitting the 'home' button and then going back into the Remote!

- Restarting the iPod!

- Went so far as to delete the App and reinstall it!

Nuthing worked... and then I tried it one more time and don't you know it the freakin application was WORKING once again... This had me stumped for quite some time...

All the while I've been writing a program (for the iPhone/iPod) that talks to another device thats on my network... and yesterday I **finally** got accepted into the 'official' iPhone developers circle and have been blessed to finally debug the app I'm writing on the hardware (instead of just the simulator)....

Well wouldn't you know it, it WORKED (once) and then it too exhibited similar behavior to the Remote app...

Wanna take a guess what the problem is/was???

Well the signal I get from my old wireless router can sometimes be 'not so good' and a neighbor (don't know who) has a **wide open** linksys wireless router that seems to give me excellent coverage... Got if figured out yet?

Yep my iPod Touch was giving up on MY wireless router and hopping a ride on the neighbors linksys...

Needless to say any app that was looking for a 'server' (iTunes or otherwise) on 'my local network' would NEVER find it so long as it was connected to the neighbors network...

Now I've gone into the settings and made sure 'ASK BEFORE JOINING NETWORK' is turned ON and I deleted (pressed the forget button) my neighbors linksys... but for some reason the linksys is back in the settings window and I think my iPod is still hopping over without ASKING me... I'll need to do more testing but if it is doing that then we clearly have a bug on our hands....

Anyway... I hope this solves some problems with people trying to use the iTunes Remote and/or other programs that **need** to be on **your** local network.

In short, when things don't work (or stop working) with 'network dependent apps' take a second and check out your wifi settings and make sure your connected to YOUR network before you start tearing everything down on the iPhone/iPod and starting from scratch....

Cheers!

Dave

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    I haven't noticed with Remote.app, but have with other applications. I live in an area which provides free wi-fi and you are required to sign in via a homepage. When ever apps get stuck retrieving information it's because the iPhone has jumped to the free signal rather than my router.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    shady104shady104 Posts: 332member
    no problems what so ever i love this app it really is great.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    So I hit Add Library, my iPhone pops up in iTunes and I enter my 4 digit code. Once that's done...nothing, the phone just disappears from iTunes. When I try to choose that Library, again nothing. I made sure both my mb air and my iphone where on the same wireless network, I made sure the Look for iPhone Remotes was checked in my prefs and even hit the Forget All Remotes once. No firewall in place and i set my iTunes library to share with no password, just to see if that could be it.

I am open to any other suggestions but so far this app is a delete.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mb airhead View Post

So I hit Add Library, my iPhone pops up in iTunes and I enter my 4 digit code. Once that's done...nothing, the phone just disappears from iTunes.

The phone disappears from iTunes? You're supposed to be accessing iTunes from the phone, not the other way around.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

The phone disappears from iTunes? You're supposed to be accessing iTunes from the phone, not the other way around.

Ok, maybe i'm missing something then. When I choose my library from the phone it just sits and spins for about a minute until it says "Can't Find the Library....". The phone does not show up in iTunes unless I try to set up again (meaning delete current library from my phone and going thru the whole process again), it never shows up under "Devices" again. Not sure it's supposed to, it's never worked.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Its not supposed to show up in iTunes ever again - except for that initial setup. Its always worked for me - maybe your network is a bit flaky?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post

Its not supposed to show up in iTunes ever again - except for that initial setup. Its always worked for me - maybe your network is a bit flaky?

Does your library show up on your phone again?

Could be my network but I have a new Time Capsule that I didn't make any changes during the setup, I just did the simple walk through. We do have a second wireless network in the house that came with the FIiOS but none of our computers have ever been set up on, no passwords ever entered in computers or my iPhone. In fact, just about every house in our neighborhood has the same wireless router but they come secured as default.

I'm wondering if it's possible that my download was bad, if I should just delete and try again.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mb airhead View Post

Could be my network but I have a new Time Capsule that I didn't make any changes during the setup, I just did the simple walk through. We do have a second wireless network in the house that came with the FIiOS but none of our computers have ever been set up on, no passwords ever entered in computers or my iPhone. In fact, just about every house in our neighborhood has the same wireless router but they come secured as default.again.

Or you are having the same problem as the original poster. The iPhone and your computer need to be on the same subnetwork. It sounds like you, yourself, may have two subnetworks. Not counting the possibility that you may be jumping onto a neighbors network as the OP found he was doing. You need to rule that out.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    For me it simply works and as worked every time I've used it.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

no problems what so ever i love this app it really is great.

Yeah I am also loving it. Its best. If you don't know about how to use it than check its official site.