Microsoft's Zune crashes as iPod sales grow

Comments

• Reply 81 of 165
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    To the consternation of some, I'm finally back!

I haven't read the MS filings, nor have I had time to read the rest of the thread, so I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I'm wondering about something that wasn't clear for me in the article.

It says that MS's Zune revenue is down by $100 million this past quarter. If that's so, then the numbers seem odd. If MS sells about 1 million Zunes a year (for the first two years), and the average price to the consumer is about, say $200, then the total sales numbers in dollars for the year would be about $200 million.

So how could Zune revenue for the quarter be off by $100 million? That doesn't seem possible. That would assume that MS was selling over $200 million in the holiday quarter, or the amount sold for the entire year!

Whatever the case is, if this shortfall declines the entertainment division's profits by 60%, that's a big problem, because it means that the miniscule Zune sales actually were profitable (even though Ballmer last year indicated that they were not), and had 60% of the profits for the entire entertainment division. The tail wagging the dog, so to speak.

This means that the 360 is not profitable, despite MS saying it is, as most of the other profits are gained from the games they sell for it, and the licensing fees from other game producers. This is very bad.
  • Reply 82 of 165
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Name them Daniel... what are these mystery devices with "More games, better ui, and smaller sleeker devices" you talk of....?

If you are unable to recognize the innovation that exudes from the ipod touch, I would have to question if you understand the meaning of the word.

HAAHAH LOL oh snap!!!
  • Reply 83 of 165
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archipellago View Post

the Zune is actually a better piece of hardware than any ipod you care to mention.

Audio quality is much better, video quality is really good.

The current Zune software is better than iTunes.

its lack of success is down to many factors...... many of which are shared with any competitor to low brow companies like for example McDonalds.

1/ Perception (Apple vs MS)

2/ Timing (entering the market)...remember the whole ipod/itunes idea wasn't Apple's in the 1st place.

3/ Marketing..nuff sed.

4/ Ecosystem

innovation:

can you wirelessly sync with an Ipod?

ripoff?:

the margins on ipods are in the 50% range..whos ripping who off.?

LOL another one
  • Reply 84 of 165
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Well for starters the Microsoft mice are a lot nicer than the Apple ones.

Well thats all a matter of opinion, not fact. I happen to love the mighty mouse.
  • Reply 85 of 165
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Well thats all a matter of opinion, not fact. I happen to love the mighty mouse.

The Mighty Mouse jams more often than any other mouse that I've seen.

The fact that the primary finger has to be lifted for a secondary click to be pressed is quite irritating. It's like trying to program users to be twitchy or something, moving two fingers to make one click rather than just one.
  • Reply 86 of 165
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The fact that the primary finger has to be lifted for a secondary click to be pressed is quite irritating. It's like trying to program users to be twitchy or something, moving two fingers to make one click rather than just one.

That's just a matter of opinion... I have no problem with the Mighty Mouse clicking. Once I learned how to clean the scroll ball, I've been happier with it than any other mouse I've had. (Granted I don't play games with it...)
  • Reply 87 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

That's just a matter of opinion... I have no problem with the Mighty Mouse clicking. Once I learned how to clean the scroll ball, I've been happier with it than any other mouse I've had. (Granted I don't play games with it...)

I don't play games either, but it's still a pretty dumb limitation, and the idea is to minimize the action needed to take a click whenever possible, not increase it. It's silly to say it isn't a problem because it doesn't affect you.

Also, you shouldn't have to clean the scroll ball when other mice don't need to be cleaned nearly so often, if at all.
  • Reply 88 of 165
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

I don't play games either, but it's still a pretty dumb limitation, and the idea is to minimize the action needed to take a click whenever possible, not increase it. It's silly to say it isn't a problem because it doesn't affect you.

Also, you shouldn't have to clean the scroll ball when other mice don't need to be cleaned nearly so often, if at all.

Other mice don't have scroll balls... (as far as I know)
  • Reply 89 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

Other mice don't have scroll balls... (as far as I know)

I never said they did. Mighty Mouse has the only one that I know of, but it's a lot more maintenance as a result.
  • Reply 90 of 165
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:

To me..it feels more expensive.

Feeling?

And you also played the fanboy card? lol - irony at it's best....
  • Reply 91 of 165
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

Its not a problem for me. I guess I'm just more coordinated than others...
  • Reply 92 of 165
    This has really gotten off track.
  • Reply 93 of 165
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

so why is there no traditional radio in the ipod?

Because FM radio is crap, playing Clear Channel corporate playlists and not much else.

The only good thing is Public radio, which you can get on a podcast.
  • Reply 94 of 165
    This really isn't a big suprise, MS was late to the game and the first go round was a flop. The second model wasn't as bad, but who wants a turd brown audio player hobbled by crap software?

Yes, the iPod has a 2001 U/I, but I like that because I don't have to think about HOW to use the device, I just have to think about what I want to listen to. So, its really about the music more than anything and an iPod to me, it the way to go.

I like the iTunes Store for the most part and the software doesn't prevent me from enjoying my music the way I like.

The only change I'd like is for Apple to dump the partial album business - put up the entire album and I'll be a happy camper..

I want more than the greatest hits of some of my favorite (albeit, more obscure) artists.

As for the Zune, it's probably not a bad device, but I think MS was too little, too late. Oh and Bill, get rid of that dolt Baldmer, er Ballmer, his sweaty, monkey boy antics are creepy...
  • Reply 95 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Because FM radio is crap, playing Clear Channel corporate playlists and not much else.

The only good thing is Public radio, which you can get on a podcast.

Yea - I agree with you, commercial radio is just the same 40 songs every four hours and no depth what so ever. I quit actively listening to radio about 3 years ago, it has just gotten so lousy. The radio I do listen to now is public radio and it is so much better.
  • Reply 96 of 165
    pomopomo Posts: 51member
    Quote:

so why is there no traditional radio in the ipod?

Seriously, AM/FM radio sucks big time. Major International radio stations are available online and on the iTouch/iPhone via 3rd party apps.
  • Reply 97 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pomo View Post

Seriously, AM/FM radio sucks big time. Major International radio stations are available online and on the iTouch/iPhone via 3rd party apps.

If Apple felt there was enough of a demand, they would have added it rather than offering an accessory.

Those who do demand it are few, but loud.
  • Reply 98 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Does this mean Microsoft will not rival Apple with a Phune?

• Reply 99 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple's record iPod sales don't include the iPhone, which Apple has referred to as its "best iPod yet."[c

[ View this article at AppleInsider.com ][/c]

Isn't the best iPod yet the iPod Touch, that's what I see in the ads and heard when it was held up on stage?
  • Reply 100 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

Isn't the best iPod yet the iPod Touch, that's what I see in the ads and heard when it was held up on stage?

No. The "Best" iPod yet is the iPhone.

The "funnest" iPod yet is the iTouch.