New macboook slowish and sluggish problem.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
So this is my first time posting a thread and yet I never though it would be regarding my new macbook that was long awaited for a year that I just picked up the day of the release..Oct 14th. (13" 2.4ghz with all current updates) The day I got it I configured it to 4gb of ram so I wouldn't have to upgrade it in the future so I know my problem isn't from insufficient amount of ram. I noticed time to time that the computer tends to run real sluggish and slow almost as its running on a 512 chip whenever its awaken from sleep or an occasional restart. Its strange because after another restart it tends to run fine. I usually have the mail app, safari, ichat, itunes, and transmission open at all times and I tend to just to close the lid without closing any apps when Im done using the comp. Its strange...and hard to explain in more detail since it doesn't happen all the time...but the last thing I would expect is for it to act sluggish and slow being almost new and all especially with 4gb of ram.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    During the sluggish periods, open Activity Monitor and see if anything is using lots of CPU or RAM. iStat Pro does the same thing but lives in the Dashboard for quick access. No it shouldn't be slow at all! Bear in mind that initial launches in OS X do tend to take longer when you've just started up, but you seem to indicate that sometimes it's much slower than other times.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

During the sluggish periods, open Activity Monitor and see if anything is using lots of CPU or RAM. iStat Pro does the same thing but lives in the Dashboard for quick access. No it shouldn't be slow at all! Bear in mind that initial launches in OS X do tend to take longer when you've just started up, but you seem to indicate that sometimes it's much slower than other times.

Next time it happens I'll check it out...thx