The Weather

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    I'm at -11F (-24F WC). It was nice and clear last night though, when I was clearing snow off of my driveway and putting the trash out. Now I have to bask in the glory of public transportation waiting for my bus in this cold.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    We finally hit freezing last night; the mountains in the distance and our local volcano are all topped with snow. Some of the locals will probably stuff the kids in their cars Saturday morning to drive into the mountains to let them play with snow for the first time.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    It was 10F with windchill around zero this morning, won't get above freezing until Sunday. The coldest day in years here (NC) according to the local weatherman.

Our pipes still froze even though there is a pipe heater and insulation on the line coming from our well, plus we left a faucet running over night.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    It's 7pm, dusk is setting in, I'm sitting outside, wearing a shirt and shorts. 26degC and about 80%+ humidity. Usually rains a bit in the afternoon. That's what it's like here on latitude 3 deg N...
  • Reply 25 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

We finally hit freezing last night; the mountains in the distance and our local volcano are all topped with snow. Some of the locals will probably stuff the kids in their cars Saturday morning to drive into the mountains to let them play with snow for the first time.

Sounds beautiful. I'd like to visit Japanese volcanoes topped with snow some day. Only been to Osaka briefly on transit from Australia to the USA.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    Today it was a hot 30degC during the day, outside when the sun is shining. As is most days before some drizzle or sometimes heavy rain in the evening.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    It's going to be a balmy 24F today. Maybe I'll wear shorts to work?
  • Reply 28 of 44
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL - 39 degrees!
  • Reply 29 of 44
    My weather bug says it's 2F out but the radio says it's -5F.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Snowy. We're at about 105 inches so far this year.

• Reply 31 of 44
    London UK is even more grim than normal. Wet, windy and under 0 degrees C. The sky is perpetually grey. Miserable.

The Underground is too hot though.

MacMad is upset that interest rates will probably drop to 0 soon in the UK, yet Apple continue to want 18% for a MacBook Pro on finance. He's read the consumer reviews, is keen but too skint and disciplined to take the hit. And it's cold. Oh well.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    Similar here this week.

Cold, spotty rain, a few flurries, enough for everybody to bundle up like their on an adventure to the South Pole... then they go in to shops and restaurants where the staff are wearing T-shirts and sweating because the heat is set so bloody high.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    The thermometer on my porch reported -10F (-23C) this morning.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacMad100 View Post

MacMad is upset that interest rates will probably drop to 0 soon in the UK, yet Apple continue to want 18% for a MacBook Pro on finance. He's read the consumer reviews, is keen but too skint and disciplined to take the hit. And it's cold. Oh well.

Hey, I've got £3,500 I'm willing to lend you at 8%. Maybe with the collapse of the institutional and business2business financial system, new consumer-to-consumer lending will start to happen, with the collateral and assurances driven by governments.

Interesting isn't it? If on one hand governments continue to clear the rubbish in the banks and financial institutions, they start to tap into consumer to consumer lending to keep things flowing again.

Say I lend you £3,000 at 8% over a period of 12 months. If you default on payments, the Govt. is responsible for collecting that back but the Govt will pay me my principal + however many months interest you were able to give me.

Consumer to consumer microloans with 100% capital recovery backed by Govt reserves. Could this be a radical idea that will get the West back on track?
  • Reply 35 of 44
    Hot where you are, suni?

---

Finally a clear day (wasn't in the forecast), but late in the afternoon the sky darkened suddenly and there was a slight pitter-patter of not rain, but volcanic ash. Our local reminder that Mother Nature is the ruler of the planet coughed a little this afternoon. Destroys the wipers on the car, itches like mad and leaves a fine grey over pretty much everything, but can be a sight to behold.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    We're been remarkably mild this winter. It's in the teens overnight and right around freezing during the day. Nowhere near as much snow as last winter (I'm really not sure how much we got, total, but I'd guess about 3 feet was on the ground at any given time...including the compressed snow from earlier storms). We got 21 inches overnight in January last year. Only about 6 inches on the ground right now because we had a January thaw.

But it's been snowing for two days now.... I'll be happy when my snowshoes get in tomorrow.

As for the air...my beard has ice in it when I come back from walking the dog at 6:30 am.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member

Highs in the low to mid 60s, all winter long. With the occasional week of mid 70s.

Check back with me when the fog has rolled in in July.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    I applied for a job in San Diego. They didn't call me in for an interview. I heard later they hired someone cheaper than me.

Cleared the drive way of snow today. At least it's not cold enough to induce nose bleeds.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    Our local volcano spewed major ash clouds at least seven times that I know of... just today during the daylight hours. Things are getting interesting but life goes on as normal and no warnings have been posted.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    Major snow melt today. Hooray!