Apple releases iPhone Software v2.2.1

Comments

• Reply 21 of 124
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I can't believe nobody has complained about the lack of copy and paste in this update...

You guys are disappointing here...

Simple. It is not a feature update.
  • Reply 22 of 124
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Yellowsnow? Does that mean someone pissed into the software?

I was wondering the same thing.
  • Reply 23 of 124
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Anyone have a link to download it manually (outside of iTunes). Yes, it is possible to do. I've downloaded all of my updates that way so far.

EDIT:

iPhone 2G Update Link

iPhone 3G Update Link

Why do you need to download it outside of iTunes? Mine downloaded in just a few minutes.
  • Reply 24 of 124
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Finally, after months and months...

Turn by Turn GPS like Tom Tom, copy and paste, FLASH support, 3Meg camera w/flash, decent OS... :-)

Oh shoot, never mind, that's the $119 Palm Pre... dag nab it.

Oh well, more stable Safari so they say.... whoot, whoot, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

$119 Palm Pre is out!! Oh wait, it is still a demo without release date and based on Palm CEO the price is well above $119 because he claims "we have better phone".

Quote:

Fixes an issue where some images saved from Mail do not display correctly in the Camera Roll.

Happened to me. The photo was blurry.
  • Reply 25 of 124
    Copy & Paste, Notes Syncing, Spotlight - that's what's on my iPhone Wish List.

Once it's available on iPhone, I'll buy it, and join my friends iPhone Universe, Free Mobile to Mobile minutes etc.

It would be great if those feature exist on iPhone BEFORE Palm Pre goes on Sale. That way Apple would deny them an edge (no pun intended?)...

It would be great to know that Apple is watching threads like this, but they probably don't, cause to them we are GEEKS, and they are becoming more of a CONSUMER Company, read CIVILIANS, not Geeks!

AGAIN:

Copy & Paste, Notes Syncing, Spotlight - built in, REAL, supported, not web based workarounds...

Go APPLE, AAPL, Mac, iPhone etc!
  • Reply 26 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Why do you need to download it outside of iTunes? Mine downloaded in just a few minutes.

Because I have limited bandwidth at home as I have satellite internet so I download it at work. I can only download 12GB per month (rolling total).
  • Reply 27 of 124
    Quote:

Simple. It is not a feature update.

You obviously didn't get my joke.....
  • Reply 28 of 124
    Quote:

Not everybody has access to a decent ISP, and downloading large files for a long time in iTunes rarely works for me.
  • Reply 29 of 124
    jsonjson Posts: 54member
    My phone is now decidedly snappier (dreaded word), more so than after other updates. Things like presenting results in youtube and the stores (including rendering of pictures), list scrolling, startup times of notoriously slow apps (at least on my phone) such as contacts, notes and settings all seem improved.

I am beginning to think that they might have increased the CPU-speed (much like the iPod Touch 2nd gen)??? I don't know how to check it though....

Or could this "just" be program code cleanup? If so kudos to the iPhone team.

Now I'm just hoping that the speed will be the same after prolonged use (that is, no more memory leaks etc.)
  • Reply 30 of 124
    The release notes mentioned bug fixes including safari stability and the picture mail attachments being fuzzy when saving them. So.............anyone have anything else that might have been fixed? My complaint is when I am typing text into fields on webpages, not all the buttons show the larger letter when pressed.
  • Reply 31 of 124
    i thought iLife '09 also had some functions together with the iPhone, so where's that update?!
  • Reply 32 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

The release notes mentioned bug fixes including safari stability and the picture mail attachments being fuzzy when saving them. So.............anyone have anything else that might have been fixed? My complaint is when I am typing text into fields on webpages, not all the buttons show the larger letter when pressed.

I have the same problem, and when you go back to edit contact info you don't get response from the numbers. They type in fine, but it doesn't give a visual response. No big deal... I guess I'm nitpicky
  • Reply 33 of 124
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:

Turn by Turn GPS like Tom Tom, copy and paste, FLASH support, 3Meg camera w/flash, decent OS... :-)

Oh well, more stable Safari so they say.... whoot, whoot, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I wonder how much seed code Apple are sneaking in under the covers to test functionality they will release at WWDC. My feeling has always been that Apple do this a lot, which is why there are often hints found in the system about upcoming features. When all the features you want are delivered, it will be a 1KB update
  • Reply 34 of 124
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Oh really? Please give me a link to where I can buy a Pre!

Just because Apple isn't pre-announcing everything doesn't mean they won't have any/all of that before the Pre does. Let's compare things that are actually available to buy, shall we?

The Pre is for early adopters anyway. Better wait for the Post. But then there'll be an iphone 3Gen (what will they call it?)
  • Reply 35 of 124
    Clicking on this article just crashed my iPhone ..... Oh the irony!
  • Reply 36 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blobfish View Post

Not everybody has access to a decent ISP, and downloading large files for a long time in iTunes rarely works for me.

Correct! At home I can only download at about 70-80k/sec. At work I downloaded the update manually at 2.4MB (yes, megabytes) per second. Took a whole 2 minutes to download the update.
  • Reply 37 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wealthychef View Post

Um, a 250 MB for those two tiny improvements? I don't understand this.

It's kinda like - If you got a rotten piece in the middle of your steak, you don't just cut that piece out and patch it with another piece -you get a whole new steak. That answer your question, Chef?
  • Reply 38 of 124
    Quote:

Aw hell, why don't you just copy the whole damn phone and paste it to your forehead?
  • Reply 39 of 124
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

It's kinda like - If you got a rotten piece in the middle of your steak, you don't just cut that piece out and patch it with another piece -you get a whole new steak. That answer your question, Chef?

I thought that was an analogy that was "out there" until I read the entire original post. Very good!
  • Reply 40 of 124
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

is it just me, or has Apple been overall slowing down on the creative output front? It seems like they're putting out incremental changes on things (at least from an external viewpoint) for a while -- the unibody macbooks are nice (I already got one), but don't really feel substantially different from my old macbook pro (in fact, mine has felt consistently slower), the updates to the imac have been minimal, really the last significant changes have been macbook air, 3G iphone and the last major OS change (which really didn't feel like anything either... but maybe thats just me).

what happened to exciting new products seemingly falling out of the sky? Did they bite off more than they could chew at some point and have been playing catch up ever since?

Analysts have been spewing worries about the pipeline drying up with the loss of Steve, but I'm beginning to worry that we lost him a year ago or more, and we're seeing the dry pipeline now.

and no, I'm not a hater -- I love apple products and own several hundred shares (ouch for the past year). I just feel like I've gotten used to more from them, and I'm not seeing it lately.

oh, and as for this latest update, yeah. very exciting. (admittedly, I'm waiting more breathlessly for the next major update to tap defense)

I think it must be just you because as you mentioned the past year has brought.

1. MacBook Air

2. iPhone 3G

3. Completely redesigned laptops

4. New iPod nano

Not to mention, many major software upgrades like

1. Apple TV Take 2

2. Mobile Me

3. iPhone 2.0

4. App Store

5. ILife 09

6. iWork 09

In fact, looking at that list, I'd say 2008 was probably Apple's most prolific year ever. Can you think of a year where more was introduced?