AT&T talking with Apple about 3G-ready MacBooks?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
AT&T is hoping to make 3G-enabled notebooks a staple of its cellular business, and in an executive interview hints that it may be chatting with Apple to extend its reach into MacBooks or other non-iPhone devices.

Sitting down with Fortune, AT&T's Emerging Devices group president Glenn Lurie says he would like his company's deals with Apple to extend beyond the iPhone, though he takes care to avoid implying any immediate collaboration on other hardware and portrays Apple as one of many device builders AT&T speaks with regarding future plans.

"We're having conversations with lots of folks," he says. "[But] I would very much like to do more business with Apple, and hope that we do."

The subject surfaces in a conversation where Lurie acknowledges that the carrier is making an increasing push into non-phone devices that could use cellular broadband. Recent netbooks such as Acer's Aspire One and Dell's Inspiron Mini 9 have or are now being offered in bundles that, like with cellphones, heavily subsidize the up front cost of the system in exchange for agreeing to a contract -- in this case for AT&T data service.

Such plans have worked "extremely well" with a holiday promotion for the Aspire One that dropped its price temporarily to $99 with the deal, according to Lurie. He also expresses hope that 3G and other forms of wireless data from the company will get into as many products as possible, including larger portables.

Whether or not Apple will take to such a strategy is less than certain. Sources have suggested to AppleInsider as early as 2007 that the Mac maker was looking into integrating 3G with its notebooks, but no such product has surfaced since.

Apple's co-founder Steve Jobs has acknowledged his company's investigations into the technology but, as of a year ago, has also said he doesn't want MacBooks to be tied to a carrier for enhanced wireless. In the US, Apple would likely need to follow a similar approach to the iPhone and use the HSPA standard for 3G, which would limit it to AT&T for wide-area broadband if the electronics firm also wants the technology to work in Europe and most other parts of the world. T-Mobile USA has 3G but only in a small number of markets and using a mostly incompatible frequency.

It's nonetheless evident that AT&T is exploring its options. In discussing AT&T's ventures into non-phone territory, Lurie acknowledges that he had just minutes before talked with Apple's COO Tim Cook, hinting that both companies are discussing more than just traditional handsets.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Apple won't even expand it's regular lineup of computers (even though they now have high enough volume sales there is no reason to continue with their limited matrix of offerings). I have a hard time seeing them making a custom MacBook just for ATT, and an even harder time seeing how enough people would be willing to tie a $1000 computer to a particular carrier.

I could see them integrating 3G antennas that would support any 3G service and have an internal slot for a card from the carrier of your choice (is there such a thing?). Sort of like the current ExpressCard or PCCard slot cards but without an antenna sticking out of the card (it would be integrated into the MB's case design).
  • Reply 2 of 51
    Last year, I theorized that Apple/AT&T would make great partners to reinvent the home set-top box experience, and of course the premise of a tablet sized iPhone/iPod touch dovetails nicely.

In general, such an approach could position AT&T to become the one bill/uber family plan across telephony, TV and mobile broadband, something I blogged about in:

Apple, TV and the Smart Connected Living Room

http://thenetworkgarden.com/weblog/2...tv-and-th.html

Check it out if interested.

Mark
  • Reply 3 of 51
    ideal for the upcoming Apple netbook...

(that also runs the iphone OS)
  • Reply 4 of 51
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    If this does happen I would hope it's not built into the internal hardware, which I think is a stupid idea which limits the consumer and would be a tech support nightmare for both companies.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    First of all, it would only be AT&T in the US. Most other countries Aple sells Mqcs in are using using yw same UMTS frequencies as AT&T. Though the US would have to be Apple's primary focus.

Secondly, Apple could simply do what they did with first WiFi PowerBooks; they could offer a proprietary card thy fits inside. Even though they are removing the use replacable batteries this tiny, thin card could easily be inserted by removing the bottom cover's 10 screws. I really want to get rid of my AT&T Sierra Wireless USB card!
  • Reply 6 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

If this does happen I would hope it's not built into the internal hardware, which I think is a stupid idea which limits the consumer and would be a tech support nightmare for both companies.

Don't do it Apple. ATT has a long way to go to catch up with Verizon service that's why I don't have an iPhone yet.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I agree, it needs to be a replaceable card or similar.
  • Reply 8 of 51
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    GROSS!!!!!

A LAPTOP TIED TO AT&T!!!!!!
  • Reply 9 of 51
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I think Apple will inevitably need to add mobile wireless options to its notebooks.

But they should wait for LTE, the speeds will be much faster, and users will have the choice between ATT, Verizon and T-Mobile.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    Quote:

"...Lurie acknowledges that he had just minutes before talked with Apple's COO Tim Cook, hinting that both companies are discussing more than just traditional handsets."

Well, there goes Tim Cook. Jobs should be firing him right about... now.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jack Mac View Post

Don't do it Apple. ATT has a long way to go to catch up with Verizon service that's why I don't have an iPhone yet.

Not that I want to see a ATT macbook but saying that AT&T is a long way away from any other carrier is simply foolish. Here in PA you verizon customers are always taking my iPhone to make a phone call. My service here in the NE United States with AT&T is better then I could hope for!!!
  • Reply 12 of 51
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    If Apple were to do something like this in it's laptop line, they must do one of a few things:

1) Include multiple cellular technologies (3G+CDMA) and their associated hardware cost in all laptops (or at least all in a line of laptops -- like MacBook Pros, or MacBook Airs) as default, but unlocked... perhaps slightly more expensive.

2) Offer a specific cellular technology (either 3G or CDMA) unlocked, but as an upgradable extra.

3) Offer cellular technologies locked, but at NO extra cost to the user (i.e. the extra hardware required is subsidized by the provider).
  • Reply 13 of 51
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I'm surprised that the MacBook Air wasn't initially offered with an option for something like this.

I think what really needs to happen is an internal micro-PCIe slot standard with standardized antenna connections so you don't have to worry about the whole notebook locked to a carrier. Also, you wouldn't have to worry about having an awkward USB stick hanging out the side of the notebook. So not only could it be completely internal, if you don't want the service, you wouldn't even have to buy the card.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    Here is the problem with this business model compared to a phone.

Buy a subsidized phone and pay the early termination fee to get out of the contract and now you have a phone that can't make or receive calls. Even with wif-fi and voip, this is a severely limiting factor.

Now try this with a laptop. If your laptop doesn't have 3G service, well then you have a laptop just like millions of other people that can still do almost everything.
  • Reply 15 of 51
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Apple won't even expand it's regular lineup of computers (even though they now have high enough volume sales there is no reason to continue with their limited matrix of offerings). I have a hard time seeing them making a custom MacBook just for ATT, and an even harder time seeing how enough people would be willing to tie a $1000 computer to a particular carrier.

I could see them integrating 3G antennas that would support any 3G service and have an internal slot for a card from the carrier of your choice (is there such a thing?). Sort of like the current ExpressCard or PCCard slot cards but without an antenna sticking out of the card (it would be integrated into the MB's case design).

LOL no, all the laptops with internal 3G modems are operated by MAGIC, not an internal card....
  • Reply 16 of 51
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I think Apple will inevitably need to add mobile wireless options to its notebooks.

But they should wait for LTE, the speeds will be much faster, and users will have the choice between ATT, Verizon and T-Mobile.

This is the winner, folks. Wait for LTE and avoid another AT&T lock-in. Also, Apple hates legacy anything, including last-year's wireless technology.

Smaller MacBook Air + LTE = hot seller and serious competition for high-end netbook customers
  • Reply 17 of 51
    This is nothing new.

If you have purchased a PC in the last year (high end) you are given the option to have 3G built in (if you choose to customize your purchase).

With the Dell XPS I last purchased I was given the option of either AT&T, Verizon or none as my built in 3G options for the laptop.

I chose none as I didn't want my computer to be tied to a carrier and I could always add it later if/when I switched from AT&T to another carrier.

The only interesting thing I find about this article is that Apple is only in talks with AT&T. PC Laptops/Netbooks are normally given an option of multiple carriers.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maybesew View Post

Here is the problem with this business model compared to a phone.

Buy a subsidized phone and pay the early termination fee to get out of the contract and now you have a phone that can't make or receive calls. Even with wif-fi and voip, this is a severely limiting factor.

Now try this with a laptop. If your laptop doesn't have 3G service, well then you have a laptop just like millions of other people that can still do almost everything.

That's what contracts are for, my friend. The iPhone 3G is subsidized by ATT, and users can back away from that contract if they want, they just have to pay off the fee. Same thing with a laptop.
  • Reply 19 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dlux View Post

This is the winner, folks. Wait for LTE and avoid another AT&T lock-in. Also, Apple hates legacy anything, including last-year's wireless technology.

That's supposed to be a joke, right?

Nearly everything Apple sells is out of date by the time it hits the shelf, and certainly way out of date by the time Apple gets around to updating the line again.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    dluxdlux Posts: 666member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Nearly everything Apple sells is out of date by the time it hits the shelf, and certainly way out of date by the time Apple gets around to updating the line again.

Do we have to go through this argument again?

- FireWire

- Exclusive use of USB (no serial/parallel ports at all)

- Dropping of floppy drive

- 802.11g

- DVI versus VESA port

- 30" display

- Multitouch as sole interface

- large LED display

- Mini DisplayPort

- etc.

Apple isn't always the very first to adopt new technology (I never claimed they were, btw), but they don't throw everything against the wall and see what sticks, either. The important point, for this discussion, is that the demand for carrier-connected notebooks isn't so large that Apple can't wait for LTE to mature, skipping the hassles of supporting today's wireless standards. (Remember how much grief they got for using EDGE on the original iPhone?)