Evidence shows Apple testing next-gen iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Like the original iPhone running a Leopard codebase before the Mac release, I think this year's iPhone will be running Snow Leopard. I'm thinking that Grand Central may not be implementated at launch, even if a dual-core ARM is used, but I do expect an Nvidia GPU with OpenCL running. I don't think SL will launch for Macs before the iPhone release and I can't think of a better way to showcase OpenCL. Large scale to promote the iPhone and OpenCL while still being very controlled. Very Apple!

The Nvidia GPU would finally allow for video conferencng and video recording, but I suspect that only the latter has any chance of coming to fruition this year. I also like the idea of doubling the RAM to 256MB, but that uses more power. Does DDR3 offer any significant power savings?

I think OLED is out, except perhaps on the higher-end model, but I'm not sure what the parts costs would be in this new year. I mention it because, I think the difference between the models need to be more than Flash capacity and an additional colour.

I am thinking that since it'll be two years since the original release (in other words contracts will be expiring) the original won't be getting the next SW update. To the chagrin and dissapointent of many Apple may even keep the new iPhone OS for the new HW. Only giving bug fixes and some minor enhancements to older devices. Why make mobile Snow Leopard work on two platforms at double the effort when you can make one and make more money? It's what I would do.

PS: I know it is somewhat iconic and we all have a plethora of accessories that use it, but the 30-pin connector is quite large for 2009. I hope that Apple will use a cable with USB on one end and mDP on the other. While that may confusing, Apple already allows for protected video/audio out of the 30-pin connector. Plus the presumed Nvidia GPU should be able to push at least 720p. I think the design of mDP, which is alreadybthin enough for Mac notebooks, may be in part for this reason. A standardized, future-forward video out port; okay, that doesn't sound very Apple.
  • Reply 22 of 44
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IHateRegistering View Post

Ditto. 3G didn't offer me enough to justify a repurchase. Even though the screen of my 1G is cracked. ... Anyways, I'll buy when there is a significant update.

Dude. I sold my 1G 4gig phone after 15 months of use in September '08 for $400 and bought the new 3G for nearly half of that. The 3G is so fast in my home I don't even turn on the WI-FI. The GPS rules, the speakers are much better, the case doesn't scratch and it feels far better in my hand.

I loved the update and have never loved a phone more.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Like the original iPhone running a Leopard codebase before the Mac release, I think this year's iPhone will be running Snow Leopard. I'm thinking that Grand Central may not be implementated at launch, even if a dual-core ARM is used, but I do expect an Nvidia GPU with OpenCL running. I don't think SL will launch for Macs before the iPhone release and I can't think of a better way to showcase OpenCL. Large scale to promote the iPhone and OpenCL while still being very controlled. Very Apple!

The Nvidia GPU would finally allow for video conferencng and video recording, but I suspect that only the latter has any chance of coming to fruition this year. I also like the idea of doubling the RAM to 256MB, but that uses more power. Does DDR3 offer any significant power savings?

I think OLED is out, except perhaps on the higher-end model, but I'm not sure what the parts costs would be in this new year. I mention it because, I think the difference between the models need to be more than Flash capacity and an additional colour.

I am thinking that since it'll be two years since the original release (in other words contracts will be expiring) the original won't be getting the next SW update. To the chagrin and dissapointent of many Apple may even keep the new iPhone OS for the new HW. Only giving bug fixes and some minor enhancements to older devices. Why make mobile Snow Leopard work on two platforms at double the effort when you can make one and make more money? It's what I would do.

PS: I know it is somewhat iconic and we all have a plethora of accessories that use it, but the 30-pin connector is quite large for 2009. I hope that Apple will use a cable with USB on one end and mDP on the other. While that may confusing, Apple already allows for protected video/audio out of the 30-pin connector. Plus the presumed Nvidia GPU should be able to push at least 720p. I think the design of mDP, which is alreadybthin enough for Mac notebooks, may be in part for this reason. A standardized, future-forward video out port; okay, that doesn't sound very Apple.

You are on drugs. There is no way, and no point. They can't even implement multitasking applications and you think they're going to implement multicore ARMs, GPUs and DDR3 with OpenCL. Great if you don't mind having a battery life of 15 minutes. Did anyone tell you that the iPhone is a phone? It just suggests to me that you haven't got a clue.

More realistically the new version will have incremental upgrades like HSUPA and a bit more flash. Maybe even with a proper Bluetooth implementation.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    The next iPhone will be more powerful, but not massively so. I think Apple may take the opportunity to increase battery life.

If I had to guess I would think that the next generation would have 256MB RAM (double the current), PowerVR SGX, and a faster CPU - 50/50 staying with ARM11 or moving to a Cortex A8. Also 50/50 whether the PA Semi design is complete or not, but if not then I'm sure they'll use the next generation of Samsung SoC and it depends on what is in there - which is probably the above.

It'll be interesting to see it when it is released. That's about all I can accurately say!
  • Reply 25 of 44
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The 2007 launch iPhone identifies itself as iPhone 1,1, while the current iPhone 3G lists as iPhone 1,2, indicating that it's a minor revision of a similar design. As with similar practices for Macs, Apple's choice of 2,1 implies a major update for the handset; the second-generation iPod touch is listed as iPod 2,1 and includes slightly faster internal hardware as well as a significant external redesign.

What if it's not a phone? I mean, not JUST a phone . . .

What if it's a life-changing device that also kinda functions as a phone?
  • Reply 26 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

You are on drugs. There is no way, and no point. They can't even implement multitasking applications and you think they're going to implement multicore ARMs, GPUs and DDR3 with OpenCL. Great if you don't mind having a battery life of 15 minutes. Did anyone tell you that the iPhone is a phone? It just suggests to me that you haven't got a clue.

More realistically the new version will have incremental upgrades like HSUPA and a bit more flash. Maybe even with a proper Bluetooth implementation.

That was a dick comment.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    iPhone 2,1: harder, better, faster, stronger.

And what? No rumblings of iPhone nano chatter because of this discovery? ZOMG.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    The feature i want most is in software. I want remote pin-lock, locate and theft-report via iTunes.

If I can't find the phone I would first lock it remotely with a pin, then request say an email with the phone location marked on a google map.

If it's lost then I want options to get intelligence from the phone such as voice record, location, photo etc - hey, how about face recognition.

I want the iPhone to become known as the world's worst phone to steal, so that as soon as you pull it out, the scumbags just give up and target someone with a blackberry.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iReality85 View Post

iPhone 2,1: harder, better, faster, stronger.

And what? No rumblings of iPhone nano chatter because of this discovery? ZOMG.

Actually, I was thinking the exact opposite.

I don't think it is a new iPhone nano but rather a larger device.

I am more inclined to think that 2,1 implies a different product line.

Ironically, Jeff Bezos is rumored to be unveiling the Kindle 2 on Feb 9th.

February 10th is a Tuesday ; )

Perfect day for a new product introduction... iBook (a.k.a. Kindle killer)

</wishful thinking>
  • Reply 30 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

That was a dick comment.

That was nothing for Merdhead. Divergent opinions are fine by me, but I try not to respond to the a-hole commentors. Had his post been stated with more civility I would have pointed out that everything I mentioned, except the woefully needed RAM capacity increase, could be used to reduce power consumption.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    it could be a larger device still labeled as "iphone" but does not follow the number sequence from 2g to 3g hmmmm something must differentiate it. perhaps they will have two lines

3g

V3 with silver based more powerful, more expensive battery

multitaking etc.

in order to do multitasking (keeping some apps in background--voice dialing???, gps etc, does it require multicore?

explain the advantages of multicore to the iphone

this could be the netbook, if they allowed BT keyboard support, then bingo true convergence device for which a premium could be asked.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

The feature i want most is in software. I want remote pin-lock, locate and theft-report via iTunes.

If I can't find the phone I would first lock it remotely with a pin, then request say an email with the phone location marked on a google map.

If it's lost then I want options to get intelligence from the phone such as voice record, location, photo etc - hey, how about face recognition.

I want the iPhone to become known as the world's worst phone to steal, so that as soon as you pull it out, the scumbags just give up and target someone with a blackberry.

Apple has the dvosysyem to eadily make this happen. Even if they incorporate it into MobileMe ad a value added feature, but I doubt they will.

PS: There is a way to use a password instead of a PIN for the iPhone, though I forget which Apple created software is needed to to so. Might be in the SDK.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Actually, I was thinking the exact opposite.

I don't think it is a new iPhone nano but rather a larger device.

I am more inclined to think that 2,1 implies a different product line.

Ironically, Jeff Bezos is rumored to be unveiling the Kindle 2 on Feb 9th.

February 10th is a Tuesday ; )

Perfect day for a new product introduction... iBook (a.k.a. Kindle killer)

</wishful thinking>

That'll make Ireland happy, but I am inclined to think it's just a revised iPhone.

I'm looking forward to the new Kindle. I hope they get rid of the keyboard, the odd angles and make it faster, like the Sony readers, though larger than those. I expect eReaders to take off when they can nearly mimic a page of a typical magazine. I mean colour, too, though that looks to be far off.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    And really like the phone, but as I didn't do my complete homework before buying the phone I was sorely disappointed with the lack of MMS and copy and paste. These seem like such basic features for a handheld pda I would hope they put this in the next iphone.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jk7117 View Post

And really like the phone, but as I didn't do my complete homework before buying the phone I was sorely disappointed with the lack of MMS and copy and paste. These seem like such basic features for a handheld pda I would hope they put this in the next iphone.

Because of it's power and robustness, I think many look at it as a PDA, but it's designed as a multimedia phone. Even Apple introduced it a phone, iPod, web brower all in one. Those ate the focus.

I think copy&paste are coming, but MMS seems very unlikely.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmike View Post

"...the discovery suggests that test iPhones are functioning at a level which lets them connect to the web..."

OOOOOOHH MY GOD!!!!!! NOOOO WAYYYYY!!!! WOW. Connecting to the worldwide interweb?!?!?!?!? Wow it's so ahead of the times...

Come on, can we get some real tech news? Sometimes I feel like Apple is getting "old" and I have been a long-time fan.

The news is not that it can connect to the internet, genius. Connecting to the web indicates that the device and firmware are fairly far along in the development process.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That was nothing for Merdhead. Divergent opinions are fine by me, but I try not to respond to the a-hole commentors. Had his post been stated with more civility I would have pointed out that everything I mentioned, except the woefully needed RAM capacity increase, could be used to reduce power consumption.

Yes. It is too bad he didn't do that so you could have done that.
  • Reply 37 of 44
    It's almost certainly going to be minor, straightforward advances. Slight bump to cpu/gpu/memory/battery. probably not even all of those. -maybe- a better camera. I'd personally love to see an autofocus camera that does video, but even that seems unlikely.

Honestly, I'd rather see more software improvements than hardware at this point anyway.

E.g. I don't really care if they do 'real' MMS or not, but I would at least think they could get the SMS app to format the 'new MMS' message into a safari link with the username/pass already entered.

I don't really care about Copy/Paste either. Every now and again it's annoying; but I've gotten over it. I'd rather have the landscape thumbboard in more of the core apps. (mail, SMS, etc)

And GCal sync'ing.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Dream iPhone version 3:

- 800Mhz+ ARM Cortex-A8 CPU

- PowerVR SGX

- HSUPA (fast, low latency uploads)

- better camera with autofocus, flash, video

- forward-facing camera for video calls

- universal dual-mode CDMA EV-DO/HSPA chipset for worldwide use (see blackberry 8800 world phone)

You're forgetting the massive battery you lug around in a suitcase to power the thing.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roc Ingersol View Post

It's almost certainly going to be minor, straightforward advances. Slight bump to cpu/gpu/memory/battery. probably not even all of those. -maybe- a better camera. I'd personally love to see an autofocus camera that does video, but even that seems unlikely.

Honestly, I'd rather see more software improvements than hardware at this point anyway.

E.g. I don't really care if they do 'real' MMS or not, but I would at least think they could get the SMS app to format the 'new MMS' message into a safari link with the username/pass already entered.

I don't really care about Copy/Paste either. Every now and again it's annoying; but I've gotten over it. I'd rather have the landscape thumbboard in more of the core apps. (mail, SMS, etc)

And GCal sync'ing.

I agree with most of what you said. I would love, and expect, a better Mail program, not to mention synchronizing of tasks from iCal. I can't believe this still doesn't happen natively.

I'm all for a working link to MMS messages, but at the same time I have NEVER had one of the current messages work for me. There is always an error after I enter the login and password. I've tried them on the iPhone browser and on my MacBook Pro, and not once has it worked.

Gotta disagree with you on the cut and paste. There have been many times I wish I could copy an address in an e-mail or text message and paste it in to the map application. That is just one use I have for copy and paste.

--Dave
  • Reply 40 of 44
    hosshoss Posts: 69member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Why is it news that Apple is working on an update? Obviously Apple is always working on an update. It wuld be news if it wasn't.

What the hell do you think they're doing? "

All you designers and engineers warm and comfy, today? Can I get you anything?"