Apple pulls NVIDIA graphics update, reasons unclear

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple has yanked a software update that was intended to fix graphics-related issues with its latest notebooks just two days after pushing the patch to users via its Software Update mechanism.

It's unclear what prompted the removal of the patch, released Monday as NVIDIA Graphics Update 2009 and pulled from the company's website and automatic software update system on Wednesday.

The Cupertino-based Mac maker said the update was supposed to improve cursor movement when using the Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter with the Mini DisplayPort-enabled MacBook Air, MacBook and MacBook Pro introduced this past October.

It was also said to improve playback of HD video on the new unibody MacBook Pros with GeForce 9600M graphics cards, as well as legacy Mac systems that include NVIDIA's GeForce 7300 GT chip -- namely the first-generation Mac Pro and Late 2006 24-inch iMac.

In general, Apple Discussions forums have been buzzing with users reporting trouble with their new notebook's graphics performance for some time. *In one MacBook Pro thread, user munchnstuf reported, "My new MacBook Pro display screen is blinking or flickering every few minutes now. *I've only noticed it when I've switched to the integrated 9400M graphics processor. *I don't recall seeing any blinks when using the discrete 9600M GPU."

Since that post in late November, there have been 59 replies, leading all the way up to this week. *Even after Apple released NVIDIA Graphics Update on Monday, the issues have continued. *User volvr said, "Just installed the new nvidia.patch from yesterday....but flickering goes on!"

Another user, Pipecat, believes it's a software issue, writing, "My external display (lacie electron) goes black 4/5 times in hour, for 5sec each time, (then) go back to normal state... under bootcamp its PERFECT!!! *No issue with the external display!!"

"While the flickering snow corruption was still showing on the external monitor I switched from the onboard graphics card (GF9400) to the discrete card (GF9600 GT) and the corruption was still there," said a forum member named Harvex. *"The solution for me is to switch my monitor onto standby and back on again on it's front buttons, but this doesn't prevent the issue from reoccurring after the computer has been sleeping."

In this YouTube video, Harvex demonstrates the poor display performance.

Over on the MacBook forums, the same issues with the update have been cropping up.

"I downloaded the update today and regret that I did," wrote allanlance. *"The problem for me is now worse. *I cannot use my external samsung 22inch monitor on extended desktop mode, only mirror mode, and that is not helpful to me. *In extended mode it goes black for extended times, flicking on occasionally to remind me that its there still."

Another YouTube video shows severe flickering on a display driven by a MacBook.

Since Apple is notorious for providing users with very little information about its software updates, it's unclear precisely what prompted Monday's patch to be retracted. While severe and frustrating, none of the issues being reported on the company's support forums seemed to have been the target of the latest NVIDIA patch based on its description.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

it's unclear precisely what prompted Monday's patch to be retracted.

Seems clear to me, the update fixes NOTHING! (or makes things worse)

Where's the mystery?
  • Reply 2 of 43
    When it comes to graphics drivers (and maybe drivers in general), Apple has really lost its mojo.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

When it comes to graphics drivers (and maybe drivers in general), Apple has really lost its mojo.

Or maybe graphics in general...
  • Reply 4 of 43
    hbghbg Posts: 8member
    They'd better get a new fix out soon at that solves all the display and external display problems or else once those new unibody 17" models start arriving, those folks who paid $3,000+ for them will be awfully upset that their 30" external displays hooked to it will be continually distorted.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    doh! ......
  • Reply 6 of 43
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hbg View Post

They'd better get a new fix out soon at that solves all the display and external display problems or else once those new unibody 17" models start arriving, those folks who paid $3,000+ for them will be awfully upset that their 30" external displays hooked to it will be continually distorted.

This could be one of the reasons why the 17" MBP ship date was delayed...
  • Reply 7 of 43
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

IMO, it should be up to NVIDIA to make the drivers, not Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 43
    For me, the only issue I had was the jumpy HD playback. It is still there, but better. I have the new LED display and have had no issues with the mouse/flickering, etc.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    hbghbg Posts: 8member
    Precisely BuzzyZHead, but Apple doesn't seem to get it.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I recall people saying that there were problems when that happened, the graphics card makers didn't know what they were doing and were making very flaky drivers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Squuiid View Post

Seems clear to me, the update fixes NOTHING! (or makes things worse)

Where's the mystery?

Your suggestion is likely, but not assured. That's also a vague answer, not a specific one.

Maybe the mystery is that the exact reason isn't known, there haven't been complaints aired yet.
  • Reply 11 of 43
    And you thought Microsoft had problems? LOL

Apple is not immune to problems it seems.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Would be nice, but historically Nvidia has had much less interest in the Mac platform than ATI. Nvidia basically told Apple they they would sell them chips and give them their driver source code, but they wouldn't devote any of their resources to the Mac. ATI always had a hand in writing their Mac drivers because of retail products. How much this has changed recently, I don't know.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    is it just me or Safari has been weird since this update?
  • Reply 14 of 43
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Apple should've known this was coming. NVidia has a VERY POOR quality track record over the past years...

Then again, the first alu iMac had screen-freezing issues as well and those were ATI powered...

Oh well, all electronics suck nowadays
  • Reply 15 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Your suggestion is likely, but not assured. That's also a vague answer, not a specific one.

Maybe the mystery is that the exact reason isn't known, there haven't been complaints aired yet.

LOL Very true. Touché
  • Reply 16 of 43
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Jobs leaves- the whole company falls apart.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Apple should've known this was coming. NVidia has a VERY POOR quality track record over the past years...

Then again, the first alu iMac had screen-freezing issues as well and those were ATI powered...

Oh well, all electronics suck nowadays

Those ATI issues were software or driver based as updates fixed those problems. However the nVidia 8x series fiasco was purely hardware issues that software attempted to try to stop (by reducing heat and increasing annoying fan sounds on most laptops).
  • Reply 18 of 43
    I bought my Macbook Pro 15" 2.8Ghz beginning of Dec. 08 and haven't had a single problem with the display. I'm running most the time off the integrated chipset for longer battery life and have installed all updates as they came out. Hasn't affected me 1 bit. I do not use an external display, but have now bought the adapter to start doing this, so will report back if I experience any issues. Also, I'll switch to the dedicated GPU to see if I spot any problems.

Edit: I use my Mac as a work laptop so it's in constant use every day (12+ hours)...
  • Reply 19 of 43
    Hi there,

I'm the founder, owner and one of the editors of macbug.de - a german website for problems regarding all the products from Apple.

Actually I had several problems after updating to the latest drivers with my macbook pro late 2008 (512 vram).

As you can see from this link:

http://www.macbug.de/2009/01/27/nvidia-graphics-update-2009-achtung-finger-weg/

even though you don't understand german you can see the clip from the console showing several coregraphic-errors. I had really worse problems with iCal and the coloring of the calendars as well as the whole finder noch responding and drawing windows improperly or not at all.

I recommended all readers not to update until verified - now I know I was right

Greetings from Germany,

Takeo / macbug.de
  • Reply 20 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

And you thought Microsoft had problems? LOL

Apple is not immune to problems it seems.

In Apples defense. It has a lot more on its plate considering it actualy does the computer and the software