Major architectural changes suggested by iPhone 2,1

Comments

• Reply 21 of 91
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I'm starting to hope that the iPhone *never* gets copy and paste just to spite the churlish pedants who are whining about it all the time.

So...
  • Reply 22 of 91
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xacto View Post

I am sure it will be just like upgrading from the original phone, if you want the new version - you will have to purchase the phone at full retail price. You re-sign your 2 year at the time of the new purchase.

That's not how upgrading from the original iPhone to the 3G went.
  • Reply 23 of 91
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    If we're really talking 'Major architectural changes' as suggested, I'd love to see third party apps being able to run in the background.

It's the only feature truly holding me back from ditching my Nokia E71 and iPod touch combo. There's too many useful apps for the E71 that require background processes.
  • Reply 24 of 91
    openGl ES 2.X would be a welcome addition, but does anyone know how/if prior apps (OpenGl ES 1.1 I believe) would be able to run on a phone with openGL ES 2.x capable hardware?
  • Reply 25 of 91
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I know someone who is developing a cinema depth of field and field of view app for the iPhone.

His app has been delayed for months. The primary problem that his app is pretty hefty and uses up all of available memory which causes crashing. So he has been working to make it extremely memory efficient.

He's said the primary problem is that the phone app, SMS, and email are always running in the background taking up memory. Their just isn't any memory left over for extra background processing.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

If we're really talking 'Major architectural changes' as suggested, I'd love to see third party apps being able to run in the background.

It's the only feature truly holding me back from ditching my Nokia E71 and iPod touch combo. There's too many useful apps for the E71 that require background processes.

• Reply 26 of 91
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    Quote:

I'm starting to hope that the iPhone *never* gets copy and paste just to spite the churlish pedants who are whining about it all the time.

I know exactly what you mean. Although I'm sure an extremely small minority of people need copy and paste, I think it is a completely over-estimated feature which the VAST majority of people would only use a few times a year, for which the workaround of having to take note of something and re-type it back in isn't that big a frickin deal. In fact, I'd be willing to bet 95% of iPhone users would NEVER use it at all.
  • Reply 27 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shookster View Post

I am holding out for a 64 GB version. I hope it comes this year. 32 GB doesn't really work for me because I have 35 GB of music, and let's not even count video or app data. 256 GB SSDs are available right now so I'm hoping by the time the new iPhone is released, 64 GB will be cheap enough to be viable.

A better camera would be nice too.

Out of curiosity... why does one need that much space on a phone? I'm not trying to be rude either just a straight up question. On launch day I waited in line for the iPhone 3G and even though I was about 55 people back in line when the doors opened they still ran out of black iPhone 3G's so I thought about it and decided to just get the 8GB then and if I realized I needed more space later on I'd try to return it.

Turns out the 8GB model was plenty. I actually never even use more than 6 GB's at a time. I mean how much music can you listen to at one time? I mean even if you listened to music 24 hours a day I could still do that without a problem on my 8GB model. Plus, each time I get home I'm syncing/charging it and can easily swap playlists in two seconds etc. Same goes for movies. I mean I'll usually load it with an iTunes movie rental or other movie I have prior to flying or if I know I'm going to be waiting a long time somewhere.

I understand at some point the amount of flash drive space is too small, but based on the current compression sizes of most multi-media I'm not sure why someone really needs that large of a flash drive. Obviously to each his own. I'm definitely not trying to be negative towards anyone who wants a huge flash drive as there has to be a good reason why and I'm just trying to figure it out.

Update: I'll admit that having a larger drive in your iPhone, computer or whatever is always better as the more info you can fit on it the better, but I guess I just didn't understand the thought process in holding out to buy one simply for that reason since it's so easy to work around not having your entire library with you at all times. Again you can't listen to it or watch it all at the same time.
  • Reply 28 of 91
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phizz View Post

I know exactly what you mean. Although I'm sure an extremely small minority of people need copy and paste, I think it is a completely over-estimated feature which the VAST majority of people would only use a few times a year, for which the workaround of having to take note of something and re-type it back in isn't that big a frickin deal. In fact, I'd be willing to bet 95% of iPhone users would NEVER use it at all.

Yeah. I've had an iPod touch or an iPhone for over a year now and maybe three or four times it would have been handy to have it, but that's about it.

My point was that even if it was the most valuable feature in the world and everyone wanted it, I am just so sick and tired of people mentioning it on every single post they make or putting it in their sig. etc. That's why I got out my thesaurus and went for "churlish" and "pedant."

I think it's just selfish and picky to go on and on about it at this stage.

And now I shall take my own advice and shut up about it also.
  • Reply 29 of 91
    Just give me MMS and I will be happy...
  • Reply 30 of 91
    Quote:

And now I shall take my own advice and shut up about it also.

Thanks, I was thinking the same thing....
  • Reply 31 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wondering View Post

Just give me MMS and I will be happy...

Amen. I think the phone will be thinner with more storage capacity... 32GB and/or 64GB. Most of the other improvements would probably be in software.
  • Reply 32 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackSummerNight View Post

I wonder how they are going to do updates. Since people normally sign 2 year contracts, will someone who just bought a iPhone get some type of other upgrade option. I know other phones don't do this, but other companies don't really release like Apple is doing.

All other phones release upgrades all the time. People are on contract and can't just switch - or they pay a penalty and make the switch. (Or, often enough, people switch to a new phone and then complain that they got a termination fee from their previous phone and that it's not fair).

Remember that the iPhone 3G 8GB should retail for about $600, while the 16GB should retail for $700. It's sold subsidised, and AT&T expects to put about $17/mth towards paying off the difference. If you're on a cheaper plan they won't want to let you leave early, if you're on a heavy usage plan they'll have already made their subsidy back and more - so they'll be happy to continue making you happy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

I didn't pay an "Early Upgrade" price, and I was only 1 year into my 2-year contract.

As above - if you're on a high usage plan they won't care (probably) and will upgrade you when the next iPhone comes out.

But more importantly, the original iPhones were sold at full price. AT&T didn't need your contract to make their money back, and were able to easily move you to another phone and were happy as long as they kept you as a customer.

It'll be interesting watching what happens this time. It will certainly be possible for AT&T to charge $500 instead of $300 for a new phone if you're 1 year into a plan, since the extra $200 pays off the previous phone.

ps.

Personally I'm stuck on a Nokia 2 year contract. Come July I'll terminate early and pay half the remaining minimum spend for the next 6 months (which is basically how much pays off the last quarter of my phone). That's A$150... in addition to whatever I pay for the phone (hopefully US$120 like it was for the 3G 16GB)
  • Reply 33 of 91
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iamlegend View Post

Amen. I think the phone will be thinner with more storage capacity... 32GB and/or 64GB. Most of the other improvements would probably be in software.

It's a hard decision for Apple. Do they significantly boost the hardware?, if they do then not all software will run on both the new and old phones. Or do they make the phone smaller/lighter with longer battery life and perhaps better wifi/3G - but no faster processing or changes to screen size so that they can keep a simple, single platform to design apps for.

Really difficult choice. We all want the developers to keep developing (without fragmenting their users).. but a faster phone with greater functionality would be attractive.

edit: I agree with the article saying that "2,1" implies a bigger change, where "1,3" would have been far less significant. IIRC, however, there have been times where that numbering implication hasn't really matched laptop releases.
  • Reply 34 of 91
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Turns out murmuring "just to spite the churlish pedants" to yourself during staff meetings is a great stress reliever.

Thanks!
  • Reply 35 of 91
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Concentration will be on graphics and graphics chip performance. Apple have got a major gaming success on their hands and they want to hammer on that advantage. Better cam, more memory, notifications etc... all details that are bound to come at some point. Backwards compatibility will NOT be broken at this time.
  • Reply 36 of 91
    666666 Posts: 134member
    I've been waiting patiently for iPhone 2, as the 1 was too gimped for my likings. Lets do this shit! And phone companies love suckers who ditch the old for the new, they'd be rubbing their hands in glee right now.
  • Reply 37 of 91
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    how about, KILL the new phone.

How about 3g friggin tethering already?

wtf??? (yes, I own the netshare app)
  • Reply 38 of 91
    "Various clues on the next version of the iPhone are being collected that point to a major architectural overhaul that could bring dramatically improved graphics performance to Apple's popular smartphone."

Major architectural overhaul? The ARM CPU will probably be upgraded to one using the Cortex-A8 core or even just a faster ARM11, and the PowerVR MBX graphics to the SGX, but I'm not sure I'd characterize it as a "major overhaul"... Maybe thats just me...
  • Reply 39 of 91
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Well, getting back to the article, if the new 2009 iPhone chipset supports greatly improved graphics, just what could be the results?

- screen resolution upgraded from 480x320 163 ppi to 720x480 x ppi? Good chance. Great for games and watching on line video.

- camera upgraded to x megapixels with much faster exposure and reduced latency? Very good chance. Great for snapshot fans.

- video recording at full 640/720x480p 29fps very good quality? Good chance. convert to H264 file on the fly? cat's meow! export directly to iMovie just like photos do to iPhoto? now we're talking ...

this would keep the iPhone up to speed with the competition. its poor camera and no video recording are right now its most glaring weak spots competitively - especially in Asian markets.
  • Reply 40 of 91
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    When a much better iPhone arrives, the current low end one can become a "Nano-iPhone" with a nice price reduction!

otherwise I replace my aging phone with a low end Nokia, then I at least will get featers new to me at least such as a color screen, camera, bluetooth and...