New I-macs may be here soon.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I ordered a 20in Imac over a week ago. And it never showed up.

When i called they said it will ship on monday feb 1st.

But could not give me anymore info as to why the delay. But said it will be worth the wait.

He also mentioned to watch the super bowl commercials. ( Could this be a sign of new releases)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 77
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ibelieve View Post

But could not give me anymore info as to why the delay. But said it will be worth the wait.

He also mentioned to watch the super bowl commercials. ( Could this be a sign of new releases)

Interesting. I'll be watching
  • Reply 2 of 77
    I'm in the UK, so I won't be able to see these commercials. When will they (apparently) air, or should I say, when is the superbowl?
  • Reply 3 of 77
    I'm skeptical. Firstly, since when do the CS guys actually know anything about upcoming "secret" product releases? Secondly do we really expect a Super Bowl commercial worthy Imac update? I can see some speed bumps, possibly quad cores at best, but that hardly warrants a Super Bowl ad. Thirdly, January join date, first post. Seems more like somebody was bored and felt like stirring the pot a bit.

I would love to be completely wrong, and will gladly eat my words if so, but I'm doubtful. Oh well, only a few days away, we shall see.
  • Reply 4 of 77
    Now I think about it, Feb 1st is a Sunday. And I very much doubt Apple would hold back somebody's order like this.
  • Reply 5 of 77
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aubec View Post

I'm skeptical. Firstly, since when do the CS guys actually know anything about upcoming "secret" product releases? Secondly do we really expect a Super Bowl commercial worthy Imac update? I can see some speed bumps, possibly quad cores at best, but that hardly warrants a Super Bowl ad. Thirdly, January join date, first post. Seems more like somebody was bored and felt like stirring the pot a bit.

I would love to be completely wrong, and will gladly eat my words if so, but I'm doubtful. Oh well, only a few days away, we shall see.

Unless there is a sexy redesign in store for the iMac. In order to fit these new quad cores, especially anything Nehalem related, they will have to modify the case to some extent.
  • Reply 6 of 77
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    Quote:

Lies.

Well, there might be a new Mac vs. PC Super Bowl commercial. PC will put on a helmet and say he's adding security to Vista, and a bunch of linebackers will come and tackle him. Mac will say, "you should really have that looked at."
  • Reply 7 of 77
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    I think the Superbowl starts on the Monday 2nd of February so the advertising will be on Sunday night. It would be good for them to be able to show off the computational advances in Snow Leopard if they are impressive. They can have a shot of 100 PC towers and say that you can get all this power into a small package. Then pan over to a shot of the new Mini. In the UK they'll be made to explain that the PC towers only have 200MHz processors in them of course.

Others aren't optimistic:

"Accordingly, Rucker said, he expects advertisers to take fewer risks ? certainly nothing along the line of the groundbreaking ?1984? commercial from Apple a quarter-century ago ? and to focus on campaigns that promote long-term value.

That concept, in fact, may explain why a company like E-Trade stays in the Super Bowl at a time when the stock market is floundering."

I think this is the ideal time to show something impressive. Other companies probably won't be as they'll be trying to be conservative to be sympathetic to people's financial situations. The best thing Apple can do is produce a quad core Mini bundled with Snow Leopard that offers high performance and low cost.

iMacs are just pointless in this economy because no matter how special Apple claim they are, few people have $1200 lying around to invest in a flashy computer. They could possibly stretch to $500-600 though if the value was there.
  • Reply 8 of 77
    Quote:

I think the Superbowl starts on the Monday 2nd of February so the advertising will be on Sunday night.

What-what-what? Marvin Superbowl Sunday is always on a Sunday and lasts about 4-5 hours. It's one game
  • Reply 9 of 77
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

What-what-what? Marvin Superbowl Sunday is always on a Sunday and lasts about 4-5 hours. It's one game

I'm assuming Marvin is in Asia someplace.
  • Reply 10 of 77
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Ah I see. I was wondering why people would sit and watch hours of advertising before the game. The website says 02/01/09 - oh wait, I see what I've done. I forgot you guys put the month first - I should have realized as it would have been 02/02/09 anyway if it was Feb 2nd.

I was thinking it was some long event that went on for days/weeks or has it already and this is the final? Seems such a waste to pin a whole event on one day. What if it rains?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JBL

I'm assuming Marvin is in Asia someplace.

... or anywhere that isn't America really . UK actually.

Out of interest, does Apple regularly do Superbowl ads or are they only when they have something important to say?
  • Reply 11 of 77
    Yeah, the Super Bowl is the final game of the NFL season. Large companies often use the Super Bowl to debut new television advertisements. Often, the commercials shown during the super bowl are never shown again, or are shown in a longer format than usual.

Anyway, I was expecting Apple to have a Super Bowl ad this year. I mean, it's been 25 years since THE Super Bowl ad. Plus they mysteriously went all month without any hardware announcements.

It is time.
  • Reply 13 of 77
    Well it looks like there might be something to look forward to after all.
  • Reply 14 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Ah I see. I was wondering why people would sit and watch hours of advertising before the game. The website says 02/01/09 - oh wait, I see what I've done. I forgot you guys put the month first - I should have realized as it would have been 02/02/09 anyway if it was Feb 2nd.

I was thinking it was some long event that went on for days/weeks or has it already and this is the final? Seems such a waste to pin a whole event on one day. What if it rains?

... or anywhere that isn't America really . UK actually.

Out of interest, does Apple regularly do Superbowl ads or are they only when they have something important to say?

If it rains, they play in the rain. If it snows, they play in the snow. Nothing stops the Super Bowl

Apple just made the best Super Bowl commercial ever in 1984. Since then they had some pretty good commercials on and off. Check out the '1984' Mac introduction ad they played that year. You'll see why 1984 won't be like 1984.
  • Reply 15 of 77
    Woah. Maybe they're going to discontinue the iMac.

There will be the Mac and the Mac Pro.

Anyone who wants an AIO can buy a Macbook or Macbook Pro.

Come on, Apple, let's do it!
  • Reply 16 of 77
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phong View Post

Woah. Maybe they're going to discontinue the iMac.

There will be the Mac and the Mac Pro.

Anyone who wants an AIO can buy a Macbook or Macbook Pro.

Come on, Apple, let's do it!

That would sound crazy, but it would set them apart, since everyone seems to do AIO right now. Besides, a current and competent mini, along with the 24" display is pretty much the same price as an iMac (this all assumes that they don't continue to let the mini swing in the wind).
  • Reply 17 of 77
    Quote:

AWESOME!!!

I am ready to buy!
  • Reply 18 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

iMacs are just pointless in this economy because no matter how special Apple claim they are, few people have $1200 lying around to invest in a flashy computer. They could possibly stretch to $500-600 though if the value was there.

Macs sell to the upper and upper middle class, and these folks aren't going to be hit so hard. Top people actually tend to benefit from recessions.
  • Reply 19 of 77
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    BETTER GRAPHICS PLeASE
  • Reply 20 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Macs sell to the upper and upper middle class, and these folks aren't going to be hit so hard. Top people actually tend to benefit from recessions.

Yeah, they work at the banks that are getting bailed out!