"Purple Blazes"? Help with a phrase, please

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I'm plowing through a novel this evening, and in it, one of the characters remarks "purple blazes." The expression should be (to me) "blue blazes." Does anyone know if "purple blazes" is the expression in some countries?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Could you use it in a sentence, please?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Seriously, it's like "What in the purple blazes is going on here?"

It should be "blue blazes." The author is a Brit who lived in Japan and who now lives in Ireland writing in the voice of a Texan.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    "I wonder what 'purple blazes' means."

Mid-- I've occasionally come across that phrase, but never as an interjection-- only as a description of landscape ("the hill was sprinkled with purple blazes").

Not sure if that's actually some kind of flower or just a poetic turn of phrase, and of course it might not have anything to do with the usage you're citing.

For that matter, what's the etymology of "blue blazes"? Maybe that's flower based as well, and your author is just being aesthetically eccentric.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Hmmm......... According to Mr. Google, the "blazes" in question refer to "the fires of hell" and the "blue" is just an alliterative intensifier.

So "what in blue blazes" is "what the hell?" for the non-swearing set, but I guess we knew that.

So maybe just a familial eccentricity that stuck? I know in my family we have slight variants of common phrases that nobody could tell you where they came from. Somebody got it wrong once and it tickled somebody's fancy and a very small usage subset is born.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    OED sez that "blue blazes" is a 19th century coinage and basically means "the blue blazes of hell."

I'm just curious if anyone has ever seen this expression before.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    I've heard it plenty of times.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Blue blazes, yes.

Purple blazes, no.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nordkapp View Post

I've heard it plenty of times.

Nordkapp, would you mind saying where you're from and in what context you've heard it?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Nordkapp, would you mind saying where you're from and in what context you've heard it?

I suspect he's responding to your post immediately above his and saying that he's heard "blue blazes" plenty of times.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    [CENTER]

Satin[/CENTER]
  • Reply 11 of 15

Purple would be an even hotter flame, just as blue is hotter than yellow or orange or red, temperature-wise.

The author is taking poetic license? As in hotter than Hell.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by franksargent View Post

The author is taking poetic license? As in hotter than Hell.

That's my initial thought, but I thought I'd ask around here to see if anyone's ever heard the expression.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

As someone has said, in context, purple blazes means 'what the hell' - at least that's the very minimum it meant when it has been said to me.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Seriously, it's like "What in the purple blazes is going on here?"

It should be "blue blazes." The author is a Brit who lived in Japan and who now lives in Ireland writing in the voice of a Texan.

David Mitchell? Except that I don't know about the Texan thing... so must not be him...

Anyway David Mitchell is one of the best authors alive today.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

David Mitchell? Except that I don't know about the Texan thing... so must not be him...

Anyway David Mitchell is one of the best authors alive today.

Yeah. It's Mitchell in Ghostwritten. And I agree. He's fantastic.