Andy Ihnatko's rumor might be true after all..

Comments

• Reply 341 of 487
    I think the time is right. I fully expect to see OSX without the Mac this year. It's already intel native. Windows is weaker than it's been in the last 15+ years. They'll never have a better opportunity to seize market share.

All they need do is have an installer script that checks hardware (this could be downloadable from the Apple site) to tell the user whether their computer is OSX compatible.

I believe the licensing of the product to OEM hardware manufacturers alone will make it worth their while...
  • Reply 342 of 487
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sixfootbrit View Post

It's a little different if the "console" is built into an actual 42" plus television, an Apple television.

Right...lets limit sales to folks without large screen TVs already...
  • Reply 343 of 487
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sixfootbrit View Post

It's a little different if the "console" is built into an actual 42" plus television, an Apple television.

Considering you can buy an Apple TV and a 42" LCD TV for the cost of the 24" apple monitor, I can only imagine how overpriced a 42" apple television would be. Besides, apple hasn't updated their desktop line in ages - I'd rather they update existing products rather than introduce anything else new. They really have proven that they can't keep up with their own products right now.
  • Reply 344 of 487
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    So what is the list so far?

* OS X on on non macs

* Win32 API within OS X

* OS X API under Windows (Yellow box)

* AppleTV App Store

* AppleTV TV

* OS X App Store

Anything else?

C.
  • Reply 345 of 487
    macflymacfly Posts: 256member
    Wine......

will serve no wine until its time
  • Reply 346 of 487
    ppieppie Posts: 14member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Right...lets limit sales to folks without large screen TVs already...

Or the people with a beamer.

I have a first-gen Mac mini 1.42 GHz as my DVD player/iTunes server connected to a 720p HD beamer projecting on a 3 meter diagonal screen.

I could not live with such a measly 42" screen...

I am waiting for the new Mac mini refresh to upgrade the 'dvd player', or even better, an xMac.

(Then the next upgrade will be a 1080p beamer... )
  • Reply 347 of 487
    I just threw 42" out there, a good minimum size for 1080p capable tv's. It's fun to speculate, within certain "realistic" limits, and Apple's penchant for all-in-one products (sorry....convergence) and their recent exclusive with LG, plus the iPhone "nano" speculation, made me think. I still think an Apple television would fit well in an ever diversifying product line, and we do have a HDTV deadline coming up, so many of us are looking for a new one.
  • Reply 348 of 487
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

So what is the list so far?

* OS X on on non macs

* Win32 API within OS X

* OS X API under Windows (Yellow box)

* AppleTV App Store

* AppleTV TV

* OS X App Store

Anything else?

C.

I've said this before, I'll say it again. I think Apple will get involved with in-car interfaces. As cars get more complicated (addition of cellphone bluetooth, navigation, rear facing cameras etc etc), companies are going to need someone to simplify things.

I think their next step will be to perfect in-car computers. Rumors began months ago when word got out that Audi Chairman Martin Winterkorn and Steve Jobs were getting together to brainstorm ideas. On top of that, Apple commonly references many companies that they enjoy working with in their ads, keynote presentations and demonstrations.

iPhone commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnjV0QGpwT0

Slide from this years: "Lets Rock" events

http://www.germancarblog.com/images/...s-rock-032.jpg

Also Audi reciprocated their support for Apple, as they recently launched the first application made by a car company. And then on-top of that they made a correlating iPhone A4 experience website. That one really made me do a double take ... like, wtf? Seriously, why the heck would Audi release an application for the iPhone? Marketing? Doubt it... seriously. I believe Audi did it as a kind business gesture to Apple to show their allegiance and support. And Audi's remarks on the topic tell you what direction the company is headed:

?The iPhone is an ideal platform to help introduce the entirely new Audi A4 to the public,? said Scott Keogh, chief marketing officer, Audi of America. ?Audi customers are smart, sophisticated and technologically savvy. As a brand, we are committed to progress and innovation at every turn. We?re very excited to be the first automotive manufacturer to connect with our audience through the iPhone.?

http://www.autospies.com/news/Audi-R...acturer-33860/

Audi has already started to make mention of their new "in-car interface", telling the automotive community to be on the watch for a new system to come with the new A8 this summer, claiming it to be "more innovative" than any of their past MMI systems.

I envision something along the lines of an interface completely based on touch in the up and coming Audi vehicles. An interface that handles, navigation, heating, cooling, media and incoming calls through one stream lined screen. Your car will have a version of iTunes programmed into the internal hard drive direct from the factory. Music will sync to your car, and so will your contacts and possibly even calendar. Apple's assistance will help Audi eclipse the competition as they look to continue their growth towards being the number one selling luxury car in the world.

Apple loves getting into big markets. Thats why when it came time to choose an industry to get involved in beyond computers they chose music. Its a huge industry. And after that, of course the cellphone industry. What's that at like somewhere around 1 billion cellphones produced annually? So what other industries would Apple be likely to get involved in next? Well, we all know that computers are becoming increasingly integral in automobiles and what do ya know... oh yeah, the automotive industry is freakin huge! 70mil+ automobiles produced annually in the world. And on top of that Audi is the fastest growing luxury brand in the world.

Oh yeah... one other little tid bit. I know Johnny Ives drives an Audi A8, but I also read his entire staff is known to be fans of Audi as well. Anyone care to share some knowledge about that?
  • Reply 349 of 487
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HyteProsector View Post

I've said this before, I'll say it again. I think Apple will get involved with in-car interfaces.

Nice.

It's a gigantic market. And it is awash with over-priced, utterly useless software.

I love my Audi - by my goodness, the software is utter crap.

It has a GPS navigation system, using a DVD ROM. The worst possible way to store 5GBs

The frame rate is about 2 fps.

Navigation of its interface is excruciating.

And to make matters worse, Audi think this POS is worth $3000.

C.
  • Reply 350 of 487
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    A couple of years ago Apple was rumored to be working with Mercedes Benz on a NAV/entertainment system. But nothing seems to have happened.

I don't know why Apple haven't entered this market. They could easily improve on what's already out there.
  • Reply 351 of 487
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

This thread has evolved a little I see.

Hope you are doing alright mate.
  • Reply 352 of 487
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

A couple of years ago Apple was rumored to be working with Mercedes Benz on a NAV/entertainment system. But nothing seems to have happened.

I don't know why Apple haven't entered this market. They could easily improve on what's already out there.

Interesting - the European manufacturers, particularly the higher end ones, have started collaborating on common software platforms across their companies. I wonder if Apple is going to jump in to provide the user-facing front end, and hit all the brands at once?
  • Reply 353 of 487
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i'd like to see apple get into the auto like MS with sync (ford)

more integration breeds loyalty
  • Reply 354 of 487
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    The reason why Apple isn't involved in the car market yet is that this would spread them too thin. And I think rightly so.

Think about it. Apple's most talented user interface designers need to:

- focus on Snow Leopard, to help it differentiate against Windows 7,

- focus on the iPod touch / iPhone, to help it retain market share and fend off other MP3 players and emerging smart phones based on Android and Palm's Pre,

- focus on iLife and iWork application design to turn them into the best consumer suits while migrating them to be usable web applications,

- focus on pro application like Final Cut Pro and the successor of Shake,

- focus on iTunes to keep it at the forefront of jukebox, app store, movie buying and rental software,

- focus on AppleTV to make it a successful settop box,

All the while playing around with new dazzling fields like 3D user interfaces and total touch control.

How many talented people can they spare to tackle yet another completely new field?

Not that the Auto industry doesn't need help.

But I think Apple has enough on its plate...

--

Ireland!

Any more comments apart from a small one-liner?
  • Reply 355 of 487
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Hope you are doing alright mate.

Thanks man.
  • Reply 356 of 487
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT

Ireland!

Any more comments apart from a small one-liner?

What do you want me to say?
  • Reply 357 of 487
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    When Apple enters a market, they make the whole widget. And they're not about to enter the Car-making business...
  • Reply 358 of 487
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

When Apple enters a market, they make the whole widget. And they're not about to enter the Car-making business...

Who's words are those?
  • Reply 359 of 487
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    My own.
  • Reply 360 of 487
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What do you want me to say?

Just join in on the discussion!

Do you think it's a good idea for Apple to offer a 30"-50" flatscreen TV with AppleTV built-in at a time when everyone just bought a new flatscreen TV? Or is this doomed to fail? What's your take?

Do you think Apple would be wise to release OSX onto the Windows PC world? Or how about a limited number of OEMs only?

Nay too risky? Yay give it a go and see?

What's your guess on whether we'll see a Superbowl ad this year?

(Shouldn't the list of advertisers be out already?!?)

p.s.

Oh, and have you bought your Apple shares yet? Still waiting?

Hope you're not waiting too long?!?