iPhone app gives you a "Pocket Massage"

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Pocket Massage ($0.99, App Store) is a new app that does away with the days of old. Why pay a masseuse to rub all that tension away when you could turn to your trusty iPhone instead?

The massage itself is expressed through the iPhone's built in vibrator, and can be set to either slow, medium, fast pulse or continuous rate.

The app has the refined feel of an oriental spa, with lacquered preference panes, paper dividing walls, and a dreamy soundtrack that will surely have you unwound. It's full of nice touches too, from the gong smash when you begin the massage to the sliding doors that fill the virtual pocket spa.

Definitely for the novelty more than anything else, this battery-draining app promises selectable music soundtracks in future versions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I wonder if anyone in charge of approving apps at the app store was able to read the Japanese text at the top of the page.

literally translated, 幸せな終わり (pronounced: shiawase na owari) means "happy ending."
  • Reply 2 of 5
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rosujin View Post

I wonder if anyone in charge of approving apps at the app store was able to read the Japanese text at the top of the page.

literally translated, 幸せな終わり (pronounced: shiawase na owari) means "happy ending."

Too funny. I'm guessing this app gets pulled so buy soon.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    hey guys, im one of the co-creators of this app and founder of Saltlick Labs, the company behind it. been a member here for awhile so i thought i'd drop in and give you the back story.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rosujin View Post

you are correct! the original name of the application was Happy Ending but they thought it was inappropriate and rejected our app... twice. So, since we already have an application called Pocket Workout — why not Pocket Massage? It's consistent with our naming conventions.

that screenshot above is old, I accidently left them in the description when the app went live the first few hours.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    These are the sort of apps that make the App Store look like a big joke. It's almost as bad as iFart. I'm all for rewarding people who have come up with something genuinely interesting or useful, but this sort of thing just rewards people who have slapped together some crappy app in 5 minutes flat.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I tend to agree with you which is why we put energy into making it an "immersive gumball app" which took longer than 5 minutes. However, what you should realize is that the current AppStore model is essentially a copy/paste version of iTunes music store. There is a lot of pricing pressure on developers to price their apps down because all of the top charts are strictly volume driven, there's no relation to price WHATSOEVER. The quality apps sink into the pile, while the cheaper/junk apps are pushed up.

In addition, there is a lot of consumer remorse b/c of this model and the search functionality is pretty useless. Ultimately, consumers are not traveling much further than the charts to seek new apps. That being said, this is a promotional tool for us that adds to a growing list of other applications we sell, 3 of which I think offer real value. It would nice if we could market apps outside of the AppStore but with Apple taking 30% — ROI on traditional marketing is really low.

ps. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the utility of a vibrating phone.