New I-macs may be here soon.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aubec View Post

I'm skeptical. Firstly, since when do the CS guys actually know anything about upcoming "secret" product releases?

They would have to know something, even if it is to say there is a delay! Seriously, you can't have a CS rep that doesn't know how to answer the question - where's my MAC! Now that is not the same thing as saying the CS knows all the details, which we know they don't. What it does mean is that they have an official explanation as to what is up to pass along.

Quote:

Secondly do we really expect a Super Bowl commercial worthy Imac update? I can see some speed bumps, possibly quad cores at best, but that hardly warrants a Super Bowl ad.

That all depends on what Apple has been up to! I could see an i7 solution with a custom Apple system chip optimized to work well with SL. After all they bought PA Semi for a reason and that could mean custom silicon to work with Snow Leopard. Notably they could attack the custom angle through an NVidia system chip too. With i7s new I/O bus the field is wide open.

Such custom solution, be it Apple or Nvidia based, might be the secret sauce that was alluded to last year. That is the capabilities that the competition can't touch. I know the party line is that PA Semi is working iPod chips but everyone needs to realize that they have the back ground to make system chips.

Quote:

Thirdly, January join date, first post. Seems more like somebody was bored and felt like stirring the pot a bit.

I would love to be completely wrong, and will gladly eat my words if so, but I'm doubtful. Oh well, only a few days away, we shall see.

Hours now!!!!

I'd like you to be wrong but let's face it no body knows for sure other than the common evidence pointing to an update. Also; yes I do believe the Super Bowl is the right place to kick off a major redesign. The potential is for a great deal of buzz.

The other thing is that there might be more than an iMac coming. It all depends on how bleeding edge the new IMac might be.

Dave
  • Reply 22 of 77
    expatexpat Posts: 110member
    The list of Superbowl advertisers is here: http://www.usatoday.com/money/advert...ds-chart_N.htm

No mention of Apple, so either its a secret, or they are doing nothing. My money is on the latter (from the people who brought you the MW09 keynote: more disappointment!!)
  • Reply 23 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I was thinking it was some long event that went on for days/weeks or has it already and this is the final? Seems such a waste to pin a whole event on one day. What if it rains?

The Superbowl is like the FA Cup for the U.S. but about 4 times longer with a lot more padding
  • Reply 24 of 77
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Expat View Post

The list of Superbowl advertisers is here: http://www.usatoday.com/money/advert...ds-chart_N.htm

No mention of Apple, so either its a secret, or they are doing nothing. My money is on the latter (from the people who brought you the MW09 keynote: more disappointment!!)

I guess if they aren't doing anything that important there's no point spending $3 million on a commercial. The ipod/iphone brand is probably strong enough that it doesn't need boosted either and there are no recent updates to sell.

If they did something this year, people would likely anticipate them doing something next year too and then it gets back into the same problem as MacWorld - expecting Apple to deliver something at major fixed events instead of their own schedule.

Although their future CES presence would go against that argument.

Here's some previews of the Superbowl ads:

http://www.superbowl-commercials.org/cat/2009

http://krisabel.ctv.ca/blog/_archive...0/4074895.html

I like the Hyundai angry bosses one: 'You win one little award and suddenly everyone starts pronouncing your name correctly - it's Hunday as in Sunday'

I always pronounced it Hi-un-dye.

The GI Joe trailer looks ok. I always wondered what happened to MC Hammer too. Turns out he's broke and now persuading people to send their gold to him for melting down. Makes you wonder who paid for the advert.

Generally the ads are kinda boring overall. I suppose you have to run out of ideas eventually. 25 years ought to do it. More Pepsi, Coke, which let's face it are largely the same thing, more Budweiser, etc.

The beverage companies are probably the safest companies around given that people aren't going to stop drinking. The more financial problems people have, the more they probably earn.

If Apple were to put in an ad, it would have to be on the same level as the other advertisers and not too serious otherwise they might come off as boring and uncool, although the same could be said for not doing anything.
  • Reply 25 of 77
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bclapper View Post

The Superbowl is like the FA Cup for the U.S. but about 4 times longer with a lot more padding

"Padding".... Heh that's a good pun, was it intended? 'Coz padding as in more body armour and stuff and padding as in drawn out entertainment segments.
  • Reply 26 of 77
    Quote:

Generally the ads are kinda boring overall. I suppose you have to run out of ideas eventually. 25 years ought to do it. More Pepsi, Coke, which let's face it are largely the same thing, more Budweiser, etc.

I think the original Macintosh advertisement during Super Bowl 18 was the best single ad but let's bring back the Bud Bowl advertisements which I think were the best 'series' of ads (especially Bud Bowl 1).
  • Reply 27 of 77
    No SuperBowl anything. It's Feb 2nd almost. This sucks.
  • Reply 28 of 77
    If a company can cram a Core i7 processor into this thing, Apple could presumably make an iMac with it. It is just an engineering challenge with the cooling system, and we all know Steve hates fan noise. I don't think it is likely but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
  • Reply 29 of 77
    Hi,

Do not worry. You will get your I-macs soon. I think you will get it in the next week.

Snoreta

http://www.tripchill.com
  • Reply 30 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ibelieve View Post

I ordered a 20in Imac over a week ago. And it never showed up.

When i called they said it will ship on monday feb 1st.

But could not give me anymore info as to why the delay. But said it will be worth the wait.

He also mentioned to watch the super bowl commercials. ( Could this be a sign of new releases)

Let us know if your iMac ships and if you have any new information. There was no Superbowl ad and still no hint of an update from any official channel (availability is still 24 hours, no Apple events on the horizon, etc.)

I sold my old Mac before Christmas thinking new ones would be out at MacWorld. I am still waiting. In fact, it has been so long I think I might die waiting for Apple.

Surviving on my hackintosh Advent 4211 in the meantime (dating from October when Apple didn't release a netBook :-)

Oh hum. Grrrrrrrrrr.
  • Reply 31 of 77
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

If a company can cram a Core i7 processor into this thing, Apple could presumably make an iMac with it.

Is this the new generation of nuclear mini-reactors?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

It is just an engineering challenge with the cooling system, and we all know Steve hates fan noise.

And who does not hate it? The iMac is literally a desktop, on your desk and staring at you, as opposed to the under-the-desk, which is the usual meaning of "desktop" and in which case noise is generally not an issue. It is not for S. Jobs' sake, it is for our sanity.
  • Reply 32 of 77
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:

iMacs are just pointless in this economy because no matter how special Apple claim they are, few people have $1200 lying around to invest in a flashy computer. They could possibly stretch to $500-600 though if the value was there.

Yeah so everyone is buying $1299/$1499 MacBooks or $2199+ MacBook Pros instead. Bonehead comment of the year so far!

To drop the iMac (Apple's flagship product) would be a very dumb thing. Not everyone wants a laptop. Yes, they're Apple's biggest seller, but without the iMac where would the other 30% of sales go? Obviously there are 30% of Mac buyers who do not want a laptop. And you'd be full of crap to think the MacMini outsold the iMac. Like yeah right!
  • Reply 33 of 77
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I'd like to see Apple go totally modular on the desktop. It's not like the AIO is a totally new novel concept. The first 5 Macs (128K, 512K, Plus, 512Ke, SE) were all in ones before they went modular with the Mac II.
  • Reply 34 of 77
    Well no commercials from apple.

I called today to see if it shipped. They said it will ship on the 4th now.
  • Reply 35 of 77
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ibelieve View Post

Well no commercials from apple.

I called today to see if it shipped. They said it will ship on the 4th now.

Well if that is true then we should see at least new iMacs tomorrow. Still, minis are being spurned.
  • Reply 36 of 77
    Quote:

I think the Superbowl starts on the Monday 2nd of February so the advertising will be on Sunday night. It would be good for them to be able to show off the computational advances in Snow Leopard if they are impressive. They can have a shot of 100 PC towers and say that you can get all this power into a small package. Then pan over to a shot of the new Mini. In the UK they'll be made to explain that the PC towers only have 200MHz processors in them of course.

Others aren't optimistic:

"Accordingly, Rucker said, he expects advertisers to take fewer risks ? certainly nothing along the line of the groundbreaking ?1984? commercial from Apple a quarter-century ago ? and to focus on campaigns that promote long-term value.

That concept, in fact, may explain why a company like E-Trade stays in the Super Bowl at a time when the stock market is floundering."

I think this is the ideal time to show something impressive. Other companies probably won't be as they'll be trying to be conservative to be sympathetic to people's financial situations. The best thing Apple can do is produce a quad core Mini bundled with Snow Leopard that offers high performance and low cost.

iMacs are just pointless in this economy because no matter how special Apple claim they are, few people have $1200 lying around to invest in a flashy computer. They could possibly stretch to $500-600 though if the value was there.

As a matter of fact, I DO have $1200 "lying around" to invest in a "flashy computer." I've been saving it since last fall specifically for a new iMac or Mac Mini when they come out. The value of a Mac is the entire package, not just the hardware, but it's also the OS and build quality and yes, the cachet of the whole thing.

Admittedly, design is part of the appeal, however for my purposes the windows platform (specifically the OS) is a no-go for reliability reasons above all else. I'd rather have reliability over economy and raw speed. I've had a few windows boxes go belly up in important projects and my Macs have never let me down.

They are always worth the wait IMHO.
  • Reply 37 of 77
    My Main, Main problem with building a Windows box is that its a bloody huge ugly casing to shove all the latest components in it! PC Case designs (at least the ones for DIY) are still totally, totally, horrible after all these years. I mean, it's just a frickin' metal box! Can't they make it any better?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by imacmadman22 View Post

As a matter of fact, I DO have $1200 "lying around" to invest in a "flashy computer." I've been saving it since last fall specifically for a new iMac or Mac Mini when they come out. The value of a Mac is the entire package, not just the hardware, but it's also the OS and build quality and yes, the cachet of the whole thing.

Admittedly, design is part of the appeal, however for my purposes the windows platform (specifically the OS) is a no-go for reliability reasons above all else. I'd rather have reliability over economy and raw speed. I've had a few windows boxes go belly up in important projects and my Macs have never let me down.

They are always worth the wait IMHO.

• Reply 38 of 77
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Well if that is true then we should see at least new iMacs tomorrow. Still, minis are being spurned.

So Tuesday iMac updates? Mini left as it is so as not to cannibalise MacBook or iMac sales.
  • Reply 39 of 77
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Well if that is true then we should see at least new iMacs tomorrow.

Or, which I believe is equally likely, the whole story is just bogus.
  • Reply 40 of 77
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

Yeah so everyone is buying $1299/$1499 MacBooks or $2199+ MacBook Pros instead.

Laptops hold their value more so are a more solid investment plus given that you admit some people don't want laptops then rising sales of laptops doesn't indicate that people who have Mac desktops wanting a new one, have bought laptops instead.

That doesn't explain why people are buying them though - I guess it's partly to do with the rugged build quality vs other laptops. In other words, good value for money. I don't see what they can offer for value in a desktop besides performance and they can't do this with their form factors. The desktop sales are down 25% and only account for 30% of Apple's current income.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

To drop the iMac (Apple's flagship product) would be a very dumb thing. Not everyone wants a laptop. Yes, they're Apple's biggest seller, but without the iMac where would the other 30% of sales go? Obviously there are 30% of Mac buyers who do not want a laptop. And you'd be full of crap to think the MacMini outsold the iMac. Like yeah right!

Obviously the Mini doesn't outsell the other products - they haven't updated it in nearly 2 years while leaving it at the same price point. That doesn't mean it's a worse product. The very fact that desktop sales account for such a small portion of Apple's revenue is a pretty clear indication that buyers are not happy with Apple's desktop offerings.

It's kinda dumb to assume that dropping the iMac would mean Apple would lose 30% of buyers. They would buy whatever Apple used to fill the place. Apple knows that the mid-range is the biggest demographic to sell desktops to. They choose to fill this slot with the iMac and nothing else.

As I say, the fact that desktop sales are so low indicates that people don't see any value in what Apple's desktops have. Not when PC manufacturers are now selling machines double the speed for 2/3rds the price.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by imacmadman22

I've been saving it since last fall specifically for a new iMac or Mac Mini when they come out.

Will you buy both or just one? I guess if it's one the choice will depend on what they do with them but which would you prefer to buy and why?