Mac Mini Configuration Vote

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
After hearing the possibility of an iMac refresh with quad cores I wanted to run a pole and see what people's opinions are about possible Mac Mini configurations assuming there will be a refresh this year. I for one have a grand burning a hole in my pocket for a new media center for my front room...



Thanks

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,220member
    Nvidia Mobo with the 9400M



    2.26 and 2.40 C2 Duo 45nm procs

    120GB and 250GB hard drive

    Superdrive

    1GB of RAM and 2GB

    GigE, 11n Wifi no FW.



    $599 and $799
  • Reply 2 of 13
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    Nvidia Mobo with the 9400M



    2.26 and 2.40 C2 Duo 45nm procs

    120GB and 250GB hard drive

    Superdrive

    1GB of RAM and 2GB

    GigE, 11n Wifi no FW.



    $599 and $799



    You really think no FW? not even 800?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,220member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rezwits View Post


    You really think no FW? not even 800?



    I'm fearing it. I'm trying not to get my hopes up for FW only to have them get dashed.



    I
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rezwits View Post


    You really think no FW? not even 800?



    and only 1gb of ram??



    4gb ddr2 is real cheap now days.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,220member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post


    and only 1gb of ram??



    4gb ddr2 is real cheap now days.



    I know but I want a 599 pricepoint. I can handle the RAM upgrade myself.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rezwits View Post


    After hearing the possibility of an iMac refresh with quad cores I wanted to run a pole and see what people's opinions are about possible Mac Mini configurations assuming there will be a refresh this year. I for one have a grand burning a hole in my pocket for a new media center for my front room...



    Thanks



    Obviously Apple isn't going to cannabilize their own product line so, if the new Mini does happen, I'd think that it would be no more than Dual Core with Nvidia. Probably around 2.2 to 2.8 Ghz 3.0 Ghz, if we are lucky and 160 - 250 Gb drives, Superdrive and 2 or 4 gb Ram. Firewire, pretty likely no FW400, maybe, maybe FW800 is an long shot. USB 2.0 or possibly USB 3.0 - 3 or 4 ports.



    Video port? anybody's guess, but Mini Display port is likely, since the Mini is basically a crippled laptop without display and keyboard. The technology will probably be akin to the MacBook, albeit a bit slower.



    I'd expect this to be the last gen of the Mac Mini too, which is a shame, I'm not particulary fond of laptops. I really prefer a desktop computer over a laptop - I hope never to be forced into that form factor by Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,220member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imacmadman22 View Post




    I'd expect this to be the last gen of the Mac Mini too, which is a shame, I'm not particulary fond of laptops. I really prefer a desktop computer over a laptop - I hope never to be forced into that form factor by Apple.



    Apple needs to keep the mini going IMO. It's a perfect starter Mac or business Mac for basic needs like POS and more. Things are only going to get better for the mini if Apple grows a pair and stops trying to manipulate people into buying more computer than they need to.



    They slap a C2D into the Mac mini for the upcoming refresh. Next year they refresh the Mac mini with an Intel Havendale chip which is a Nehalem processor with build in PCI-Express and IGP graphics. It's rumored to be 73TDP but that's covering a wider range of hardware (GPU and one of the bridges) so in total it's probably much less than a C2D with Nvidia chipset.



    Thus you have a Nehalem based Mini with 4 logical cores yet it doesn't tread on the iMac which will have Quad Core Lynnefield Nehalem procs by them.



    In essence by 2010 Apple will have all computers with at least 4 logical cores if not physical cores.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    I know but I want a 599 pricepoint. I can handle the RAM upgrade myself.



    $600 and 1gb of ram is a joke..
  • Reply 9 of 13
    I am thinking configs of 2, 4 or 8 GB of RAM. My time frame for a delivery is a 10.6 branded machine, when 10.6 comes out.



    Laters...
  • Reply 10 of 13
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    YES.... DUALCORE WITH Nvidia 9600GT on 20" PLEASEEEEEE
  • Reply 11 of 13
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    I don't think there will be a Mini update at all. They would have done it by now.



    The same configuration could sit on the shelf for another year. Don't think it's unlikely.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,220member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phong View Post


    I don't think there will be a Mini update at all. They would have done it by now.



    The same configuration could sit on the shelf for another year. Don't think it's unlikely.



    They haven't updated the iMac either so my hope is that both are updated on the same day.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    They haven't updated the iMac either so my hope is that both are updated on the same day.



    They used to be updated on the same day. Somehow I think it even more unlikely that they'd go back to updating them on the same day, than that the Mini would be updated at all.
Sign In or Register to comment.