Apple warns of reduced iMac availability in near term

Comments

• Reply 121 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

But I'd rather get snow leopard WITH a new computer - not have to buy and install an OS 2-3 months after a new computer purchase...

The problem is that Apple would rather sell a bunch of 10.5 iMacs to eager iMac buyers and have them upgrade later at $129/ea. Business is business.

Personally, I'll tough it out with what I have (15" iMac 400MHz Bondi Blue model and 12" iBook 1.0GHz G4) until 10.6 ships WITH the new iMac.

To each his own.
  • Reply 122 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

You know the iMac in its current form factor is a no go.

I should be able to access the iMacs RAM and drive storage in a matter of

minutes. I care not that it's unbelievably thin when I can't do basic upgrades

myself.

The iMac is a classy system but dammit if you're gonna crame the whole widget

down my gullet give me sensible design.

I have a feeling they'll follow in the steps of the portable line and make drives more accessible. They are trying to make this thing into a mainstream computer, right?
  • Reply 123 of 153
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

It's not that simple their are other factors to be considered.

Apple would have to license and implement the various layers of Blu-ray DRM. I doubt Apple is interested in more DRM in OS X.

Which they have started implementing

Quote:

Their are no BD drives that fit into the MacBooks and iMac.

At the moment, I wasn't talking about them implementing it now, I was responding to someone that couldn't understand why you would want it implemented

Quote:

BD storage is more expensive per GB than HD storage.

How does that hard drive go, thrown in an envelope and popped in the post then?

Quote:

I cannot see Apple TV and iTunes movies being more expensive than a BD player and BD discs.

I can. One example, Wanted, in the NZ iTunes store, NZ$24.99 1.23GB with Dolby Digital . On Blu-ray NZ$38.99 23GB with DTS-HDMA. Considering the difference in quality, the Blu-ray is a lot more expensive (well actually the iTunes version is more expensive than a DVD).

Plus the Apple TV is NZ$498, Blu-Ray players are cheaper than that,
  • Reply 124 of 153
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Which they have started implementing

How has Apple started Blu-ray DRM.

Quote:

At the moment, I wasn't talking about them implementing it now, I was responding to someone that couldn't understand why you would want it implemented

Apple doesn't have to implement Blu-ray and they may never do it.

Quote:

How does that hard drive go, thrown in an envelope and popped in the post then?

Transporting data doesn't have much to do with the cost of storing it. But their are different ways to transport data. You don't necessarily need Blu-ray for that either.

Quote:

I can. One example, Wanted, in the NZ iTunes store, NZ$24.99 1.23GB with Dolby Digital . On Blu-ray NZ$38.99 23GB with DTS-HDMA. Considering the difference in quality, the Blu-ray is a lot more expensive (well actually the iTunes version is more expensive than a DVD).

Plus the Apple TV is NZ$498, Blu-Ray players are cheaper than that,

Well you have to choose what you feel works best for you. Apple is choosing digital downloads as its media business model. Blu-ray just does not fit into that.
  • Reply 125 of 153
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phong View Post

FIrst, if you can point me to whatever EyeTV Hybrid that has component ports, please do so. I have found find it quite difficult, since it apparently does not exist.

Maybe your inability to comprehend why anyone would want HDMI or component inputs is because you're not very young. Maybe paying between several hundred and sever thousand dollars for a separate screen makes sense in the world you came from. It does not make much sense in 2009, where every single new television, every single one, has been made to function as a computer monitor. That's because they are basically computer monitors that have been made to double as a television. There is no difference. They are the same.

You say computers sit on a desk and televisions in a living room. My desk happens to be in my living room -- and in my bedroom, and quite close to my kitchen. I'm young and live in a studio apt. I do not see the sense in wasting my hard-earned money on redundant displays. Even if my money was not hard-earned, I would not want to waste the space. The iMac is an inferior design at any price.

As for HDMI, of course it will not be around forever, but it has not reached its zenith. Apple seems fine paying for the license for AppleTV, which relies on it, and that's not going to change anytime soon. The real Apple TV is the Mac Mini, though, which is no coincidence, as computer monitors and television are the same.

Well unless you consider 26 old, then I guess I'm old. Age really has nothing to do with whether or not you understand technology. If thats the case you probably wouldn't care to be posting here unless you had an issue.

Like I said before, the iMac is a COMPUTER NOT A TELEVISION! Its not designed to be a TV, and never will be. Stop trying to make it to be something its not and then saying its not a good device just because it doesn't meet your needs. Go buy something that does!

Others beat me to the punch on HDMI and TV screens vs computer screens. So I'll just let you sit on your own stupidity there...

Of course Apple supports HDMI on the AppleTV. Its what televisions are using currently. Would be stupid to not include it. Also realize that box is made specifically for audio and video out. Its not a full blown computer. One last this is realize Apple pretty much breaks even on every AppleTV sale.
  • Reply 126 of 153
    Quote:

I think he's confusing HD movies from iTunes with Bluray. They aren't quite the same....
  • Reply 127 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JBanana View Post

I could be wrong, but didn't the G5 iMac from 2004 have a user replaceable HDD, CD drive and Display? I don't know what changed with the aluminum/glass one...

The original iMac G5 had a removal back. This was nice, but it meant Apple had to design the insides so all the wires were either very short, or were just simple plugs. Seemed to me that Apple was also worried about people getting inside and accessing everything (warranty issues). So after the ambient light sensor iMac G5 the back went back to non-removal.
  • Reply 128 of 153
    Hi,

The information provided by you are really helpful for me. Thanks for the information.I would like to know more about it.

Snoreta

Try the TripChill iPhone travel assistant the next time you travel. Get real-time flight alerts, book hotel and car, view alternate flights, notify friends of travel status, manage your itinerary, and much more.

http://www.tripchill.com
  • Reply 129 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I think he's confusing HD movies from iTunes with Bluray. They aren't quite the same....

No I haven't, I understand the difference, and the fact that Blu-ray is far superior to HD iTunes downloads.

I was referring to the fact that Apple has implemented HDCP in the new MacBooks.
  • Reply 130 of 153
    Quote:

HDCP is required for Blu-ray over digitial connections

Quote:

Apple doesn't have to implement Blu-ray and they may never do it.

True, and I don't have to give Apple money for Digital HD downloads, and I may never do that.

Quote:

Transporting data doesn't have much to do with the cost of storing it. But their are different ways to transport data. You don't necessarily need Blu-ray for that either.

Depending on where you live in the world, moving large amounts of data is not that easy to do unless you copy it to a hard drive or optical disc

Quote:

Well you have to choose what you feel works best for you. Apple is choosing digital downloads as its media business model. Blu-ray just does not fit into that.

Their business model may end up winning, but it will be a long time in the future (years and years away), and they still have to sort out an industry standard for it yet (and depressly need to increase the quality of it).
  • Reply 131 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

Funny - I want none of these things.

Me too, blu-ray? more Sony junk...
  • Reply 132 of 153
    Quote:

HDCP is required for Blu-ray over digitial connections

Their isn't one version of HDCP, just like their isn't one version of DRM. Their are different flavors of them. Apple implements its own HDCP in Fairplay that has nothing to do with Blu-ray.

Quote:

True, and I don't have to give Apple money for Digital HD downloads, and I may never do that.

You are right that is completely your choice.

Quote:

Depending on where you live in the world, moving large amounts of data is not that easy to do unless you copy it to a hard drive or optical disc.

You can set up some limited and hypothetical situation where optical media storage is the best solution. That does not change the fact that hard drive storage is cheaper by the GB than Blu-ray.

Quote:

Their business model may end up winning, but it will be a long time in the future (years and years away), and they still have to sort out an industry standard for it yet (and depressly need to increase the quality of it).

I'm not saying that digital downloads will destroy optical media. Many people seem to think for one to win the other has to be destroyed. I think they will both coexist for a long time.

I agree with you that digital downloads need an interoperable standard that works in any media player and any platform.
  • Reply 133 of 153
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imacmadman22 View Post

Me too, blu-ray? more Sony junk...

Well except it isn't a Sony product
  • Reply 134 of 153
    Quote:

Their isn't one version of HDCP, just like their isn't one version of DRM. Their are different flavors of them. Apple implements its own HDCP in Fairplay that has nothing to do with Blu-ray.

You might want to read up some more about HDCP.
  • Reply 135 of 153
    Yes their is only one standard of HDCP. The over all point is that is not evidence that Apple will support Blu-ray.

Quote:

• Reply 136 of 153
    shadowshadow Posts: 373member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crentist View Post

The problem is that Apple would rather sell a bunch of 10.5 iMacs to eager iMac buyers and have them upgrade later at $129/ea. Business is business.

I don't believe Apple explicitly aims at selling new hardware to get an update later. There are two reasons:
    • If they ship hardware with Snow Leopard pre-installed, they will save on supporting this gardware for 10.5. From marketing point of view, new hardware with new OS may look as a better package and could bring more profit at the end of the day

• New OS versions boosts the financial results for the quater a little bit, but has small overall impact on the FY results.

Get it once and for all: Apple is not Microsoft. Apple's main source of revenue is not selling the OS.

Apple will ship the hardware when it is ready, and Snow Leopard when it is ready. Delaying one because of the other for more than 3-4 weeks could do more damage than profit.

Also get it: Snow Leopard is months away.
  • Reply 137 of 153
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Apple still has a variant implementation, in that they encode video with HDCP and then break it up into packets to send over a serial cable. HDMI is an old-fashioned parallel cable.

Apparently this distinction matters to Big Content, because they don't want any additional meddling with their protection schemes and they don't trust any solutions other than their own, which is HDCP over HDMI, directly from the drive to the TV.

This is what Jobs meant when he described Blu-Ray as (from memory) a great big ball of hurt. Big Content want the entire machine engineered around DRM so that there is no possible way that their movies will be used in any other way than if you'd put the disc in a dumb component player, but it's nearly impossible to build a machine with the power or the flexibility to create content if you do.
  • Reply 138 of 153
    onitonit Posts: 44member
    I recently bought a PS3 and it is AWESOME. It plays avchd, mp4 video, aac, avi, wifi file server (with free 3rd party software) and the list goes on. It even plays .mts video files straight out of my avchd camcorder. All I had to do was format a usb key with the same file structure as the PS3 (folders called VIDEO, GAMES , etc) .

I've been jumping through hoops trying to edit AVCHD in FCE, by the way, let alone not being able to play these files directly on a Mac.

Oh yeah, the PS3 has blu-ray and a sweet, growing game library.

Apple TV update better be something sweet.
  • Reply 139 of 153
    honestly im not a huge fan of having an expensive Blu-Ray drive on my PC/Mac, however to say that its not a huge step forward is retarded.

sure i like to play games, so yes i own a PS3. however i also have an Xbox 360, as the PS3 is a shitty console, do you know what it is good at? a Blu-Ray player, is it worth having it just for that one purpose? yes. blu-ray is THAT good.

if i was still a college student, i'd have a computer, and play computer games, and play blu-ray discs on an HD monitor, you'd get all the HD experience on one "cheap" set up.

to not offer that at all is a pretty big assumption to what your customer desires. personally i would NOT go blu with my new iMac, but the option should be there, some would find it useful and would probably find it worth an extra $200 for the drive.
  • Reply 140 of 153
    48v48v Posts: 5member
    Ok, so this might not be the place to post this, but since the topic has turned to BluRay implementation on an iMac, I figured what the hell...

I was on WeLoveMacs, and saw they had a BluRay optical drive for Intel based iMacs. Has anyone tried one of these, or is the fact that they don't have a price or option to order (in addition to not responding to my email inquiries) proof that this just doesn't exist/work yet?*

I, for one, would love to have BluRay on my machine. It's the new medium, and with movies, I prefer to have a collection on my shelf rather than just a list on my iTunes. And, since my movie collection is going from a DVD/BD mix to almost exclusively BluRay, being able to watch movies and series on my computer would make things much easier (if just for compatibility, not quality).

Quote:

Well except it isn't a Sony product

I think all BluRay is a product of Sony. They might not make the player, but they own the rights to the technology, so their getting paid one way or another.

*FastMac.com has the same device for $999.95. I'd still like to know if anyone's tried it and if it works.