*MAJOR* Keynote '09 Warning! Loss of Saved Data!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
This has happened to me twice now, so I figure it'll keep happening at least until the first update:

I saved a Keynote presentation. After it was completely done saving, I clicked on the Play button to watch the presentation. My computer immediately restarted. The last save DID NOT ACTUALLY SAVE. All of the work done between that save and the previous save is *gone*.

I'm not sure what a good workaround for this is... I'm going to start trying save, close, open, and then play.

I estimate that I have probably Saved and then hit Play about 50 times since getting iWork '09, and this has happened twice, so it appears to be a pretty common event. (Hell, even once is devastating.)

I don't know if anyone cares about this: I always have Safari and iTunes open when I'm on the computer. And at least the first slide had a movie and sound file.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Usually hard drives have write-cache, a scheme called write-back, were files are stored temporarily in the hard drive's volatile buffer after a write instead of actually writing the file to the magnetic platter. This improves hard drive performance since the OS doesn't have to wait for the much slower "actual" write to the hard drive platter and say it was successful.

A sudden computer restart can be problematic, however, since the data isn't actually recorded on the permanent platter. It was simply stored on the cache RAM, which is volatile and get discarded at power loss.

I am not familiar with caching schemes of OS X, but the OS itself might also be doing other caching as well. But in the end, if you clicked SAVE, one would expect the file to be saved permanently so that a sudden power loss or spontaneous reboot wouldn't cause a data loss. After all, the whole purpose of saving your work frequently is to avoid data loss from unexpected reboots, power loss, and freezes.

Maybe it's a software bug in Keynote?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Hmm haven't encountered that problem just yet. But then again, I only used Keynote twice so far. I was able to save multiple times and I had no restarting problem. Maybe it can occur for me too. hmm hope Apple fixes it soon.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Are there any crash logs for keynote in either HD/library/logs or Home/Library/Logs

These may well give an indication to what the cause was.

So far no issues saving keynote 09 here but will watch just in case.

Also was there any strange behaviour whilst using keynote or around the time of the sudden reboot?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rob_06 View Post

Are there any crash logs for keynote in either HD/library/logs or Home/Library/Logs

These may well give an indication to what the cause was.

So far no issues saving keynote 09 here but will watch just in case.

Also was there any strange behaviour whilst using keynote or around the time of the sudden reboot?

No strange behaviors whatsoever... I love Keynote and use it all the time, so I'm sure I would've noticed any oddities.

I don't see any crash logs for Keynote, unfortunately.

p.s. I thought I was the only one who regularly used "whilst"--nice to see I'm not!
  • Reply 5 of 8
    New here,

but had a sort of related question. when saving a keynote presentation (with command+s), which is supposed to be a quick save. i still get the save as dialog and have to 'replace' the current keynote with the new version?

is something wrong? shouldn't i be able to quick save to the already existing file?

keynote '09...

osx 10.5.6...
  • Reply 6 of 8
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kzangari View Post

New here,

but had a sort of related question. when saving a keynote presentation (with command+s), which is supposed to be a quick save. i still get the save as dialog and have to 'replace' the current keynote with the new version?

is something wrong? shouldn't i be able to quick save to the already existing file?

keynote '09...

osx 10.5.6...

Just to be clear, this happens when you've opened and try to save a file in Keynote '09 that you made with '08?

And then subsequently, after you've already named and saved the file once?

Or does it happen when you try to save modifications to an existing file you made in '09 as well?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    No, this happens when i have already created a file with keynote '09, and try to quick save. the file already resides on my desktop. but everytime i try to quick save, the save as dialog popups, and forces me to replace the file....

weird huh?!?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    ameliaamelia Posts: 1member
    I have been using Keynote for six months to create a large multimedia presentation. We started it in Keynote 08 and switched to 09 in January. Here are the limitations I've encountered.

If I am working with a copy on my desktop and make changes, all is well. But if I am working on the copy that is saved on my employer's server, the members of my workgroup get messages saying "changes cannot be saved." To save changes, we have to rename the presentation. We have worked through the alphabet 4 times. However, this applies only to Keynote 09. We made a dummy version in 08 and had no problems saving changes to the server, i.e. we didn't have to rename the presentation.

We are using the Notes feature extensively for the presenter's script. The Notes consist of stage directions and speech text, and there is color coding and the font size needs to be fairly large. But about half the time, the formatting changes do not get saved. I come back the next day and the color coding is gone and the text is tiny. Or even more frustrating, some random number of the formatting changes are gone. Wording changes in Notes are always saved, just not formatting of the Notes.

Any insight about the root of the problem?

Does it stem from switching from 08 to 09?

Does it stem from saving up to server?

Am I am failing to do something correctly?

Good grief. I am about to lose my mind.