No new Mac Mini or iMac

167891012»

Comments

• Reply 221 of 240
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

At least for the Mini that sums up the frustration. We already know that the tech exists to make an acceptable Mini replacement. So if Apple hasn't gotten a Mini update out yet one has to wonder what the hell is up.

At this point I'd have to think that the hold up is that Apple is waiting on something we don't know about.

No, the Mini should have been updated twice by now and could have been updated three times. They are not waiting for anything. They are simply choosing not to update their desktops.

The Mac is dead.
  • Reply 222 of 240
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

At least for the Mini that sums up the frustration. We already know that the tech exists to make an acceptable Mini replacement. So if Apple hasn't gotten a Mini update out yet one has to wonder what the hell is up.

Apple's choice... to milk the customer to the maximum. It is the only reasonable assumption to explain this unique, in the recent computer history, phenomenon (no discontinuation, no price drop).
  • Reply 223 of 240
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Apple's choice... to milk the customer to the maximum. It is the only reasonable assumption to explain this unique, in the recent computer history, phenomenon (no discontinuation, no price drop).

Well, the MacBook line is where there's some great value. Outside of that, given the pace of technology in general... Hmm...

Well, Apple's in it for the profit (it's not a charity) so they're going to make their profit where they see fit. With Steve out of the picture for a while the RDF is definitely starting to clear. The iLife'09 and iWork'09 RDF doesn't seem to be that strong.

I know, it's late, I have not much of an idea what I'm trying to say, except

WHERE ARE MY NEW IMACS AND MAC MINI ARHGHGHGH
  • Reply 224 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phong View Post

The Mac is dead.

The Mac is dead.

Long live the MacBook.

Apple doesn't make *computers* anymore. Just laptops, phones, and screens.
  • Reply 225 of 240
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Do we even need an iMac anymore? What advantage does an iMac have over a small form factor desktop + monitor? (from a consumer's point of view)

• Less cables. At least 2; the one from the monitor to the desktop, and the power cable to the monitor.

• Arguably a prettier design.

• Semi-portable

I would gladly give those all up for a modular design. The disadvantages, from a consumer's point of view, are terrible:

• Thermal limits to higher end and less expensive processors & graphics cards.

• Limits monitor upgrading.

• Limits component upgrading.

• Out of warrantee issues become expensive to fix.

The mini is worse because it has all the disadvantages of the iMac plus being outdated and even more thermal restrictions are imposed on it.
  • Reply 226 of 240
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I couldn't agree more with Outsider. Some more disadvantages of the iMac...

* Can only have 2nd monitor on left side cause the cd burner is side mounted

* No height adjustability

* Forced to have glossy LCD

* Slower superdrive vs a desktop

* Slower front side bus vs a desktop

Edit: My 2000th POST!!!
  • Reply 227 of 240
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Do we even need an iMac anymore? What advantage does an iMac have over a small form factor desktop + monitor? (from a consumer's point of view)

? Less cables. At least 2; the one from the monitor to the desktop, and the power cable to the monitor.

? Arguably a prettier design.

? Semi-portable

The mini is worse because it has all the disadvantages of the iMac plus being outdated and even more thermal restrictions are imposed on it.

The iMac needs something to add pizzaz. Discrete graphics isn't enough IMO. I'm likely going this route. In it's present form the iMac is somewhat of a "bag of hurt".

I get %85 of the cleanliness of an iMac but the ability to change out my monitor almost at will.
  • Reply 228 of 240
    Excellence. But it only has GMA950 which is just a garbage GPU.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

The iMac needs something to add pizzaz. Discrete graphics isn't enough IMO. I'm likely going this route. In it's present form the iMac is somewhat of a "bag of hurt".

I get %85 of the cleanliness of an iMac but the ability to change out my monitor almost at will.

• Reply 229 of 240
    Quote:

Do we even need an iMac anymore? What advantage does an iMac have over a small form factor desktop + monitor?

Cable mess.

That said, a 20" iMac is going to be cheaper than a [13" MacBook + 20" screen]. So, MacMini and "xMac" aside, the 20" iMac is still important! To me and I'm sure others.
  • Reply 230 of 240
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Apple has disappointed Mac fans time after time, and yet fanboys keep thinking the next time a Mini, iMac, etc. comes out, it will have everything we want at a lower price. Apparently, SJ prefers to give us whatever costs the least (for Apple) and the most for buyers (with no thought of parity with PC box makeup). He sits up there in his ivory tower and snickers at our gullibility. Unfortunately for me (and most of you), we still buy for the OS X because the rest of the PC world is bereft of OS quality.

Isn't there a parable or something that says something like, "There's a man who has had a bad day every single day of his life, but he thinks tomorrow will be different"? There's a vast difference between an optimist and a 'sucker'. I believe SJ thinks we're suckers and will accept anything he can foist on us. I also believe he's right. We will.
  • Reply 231 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Apple has disappointed Mac fans time after time, and yet fanboys keep thinking the next time a Mini, iMac, etc. comes out, it will have everything we want at a lower price. Apparently, SJ prefers to give us whatever costs the least (for Apple) and the most for buyers (with no thought of parity with PC box makeup). He sits up there in his ivory tower and snickers at our gullibility. Unfortunately for me (and most of you), we still buy for the OS X because the rest of the PC world is bereft of OS quality.

Isn't there a parable or something that says something like, "There's a man who has had a bad day every single day of his life, but he thinks tomorrow will be different"? There's a vast difference between an optimist and a 'sucker'. I believe SJ thinks we're suckers and will accept anything he can foist on us. I also believe he's right. We will.

Well when you have a Billionaire CEO and millionaire C-level Execs I think there's a tendency to forget what it's like to be on a reasonable budget.

Apple seems to think that families can oufit everyone with iMacs but that's just not the case. If Apple wants to be a part of my digital hub lifestyle they have to start acting like they value EVERY one of my purchases whether it be a lowely mac mini or a Mac Pro.

I don't need a 256-core GPU in a mini but what I do need is some evolution and enough support for Apple's latest technologies.
  • Reply 232 of 240
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Not me. I'm finally specing out that hackintosh. I can't afford a Mac Pro yet for freelance stuff I'm doing now and the iMac and mini will be using old technology by the time it comes out. I was waiting to see what came out today. I have my answer. The guys at EFI-X seem to have a good solution there.
  • Reply 233 of 240
    Atom + nVidia Ion:

• Reply 234 of 240
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

Not me. I'm finally specing out that hackintosh. I can't afford a Mac Pro yet for freelance stuff I'm doing now and the iMac and mini will be using old technology by the time it comes out. I was waiting to see what came out today. I have my answer. The guys at EFI-X seem to have a good solution there.

I will wait till the new iMacs come out before deciding but that sort of solution is getting more and more attractive.
  • Reply 235 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

Atom + nVidia Ion:

Boy I could see iMovie 09's image stabilization taking FOREVER on that.
  • Reply 236 of 240
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

I hope you don't complain if your clients start doing whatever they please with the product of that freelance work, regardless of whether or not it complies with the original agreement between you and your clients.
  • Reply 237 of 240
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Or, maybe Apple realizes that except for marketing purposes, having an extra .02 Ghz of clockrate on your processor is really not that big of a deal. The majority of the market don't really need or appreciate the "massive" differences in performance that people get excited about here, except, again, as far as marketing goes.
  • Reply 238 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Boy I could see iMovie 09's image stabilization taking FOREVER on that.

Not really. The nVidia chip can achieve much higher throughput on video processing functions (encoding/decoding) compared to a Core 2 chip. I don't know for sure but it is very likely that the image stabilization feature is using the motion estimation step of the encoding process....
  • Reply 239 of 240
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

Not really. The nVidia chip can achieve much higher throughput on video processing functions (encoding/decoding) compared to a Core 2 chip. I don't know for sure but it is very likely that the image stabilization feature is using the motion estimation step of the encoding process....

It'll be interesting to see where Apple goes with the ATV.

I don't think the Mac mini should be going Atom personally because yes you can leverage the GPU in Ion to great effect under certain circumstances but overall you're hitting your CPU most day in and day out and that's going to make a Atom Mac mini slower than what's available today.

I think the Atom is more likely in a HTPC like device from Apple provided they don't go SoC for the AppleTV and ARM processing.

So in essence more features and functionality = Atom/ion

less features and more appliance like = ARM/PowerVR

IMO of course.
  • Reply 240 of 240
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I will wait till the new iMacs come out before deciding but that sort of solution is getting more and more attractive.

The hardware is ugly as sin but the price, performance and upgradability looks very nice indeed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxI67pJ8UiU

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison

I don't think the Mac mini should be going Atom

Yeah there's no reason why they'd do that when they don't use an Atom in their ultra-portable. The Mini would be much slower than the current model.

The ATV will improve considerably with that spec though, probably to the annoyance of people who bought the old one.

Those things would be pretty good for co-located server boxes at that size. Some companies already use the ATV.