MacPad or iTablet - could it look like this?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm waiting for a MacPad or iTablet like many other Apple-Users and so I thought about how it could look like!

I did this small mockup - so what do you think? Will the MacPad come in the future and could it look like this?

It would be great, if everyone who like, would post an own or an existing mockup of an iTablet, Macbook touch or Apple netbook in this thread for discussion!

I know there are a lot of discussion and no one could know what will come but this should be a place to collect all the existing pictures, theories, wishes and new pictures from all of you!

- 10,2" Touchscreen

- Full OS X

- Wacom Cintiq Tecnologie

- Control it with your fingers or draw with a Wacom pen

- Wlan, Bluetooth, UMTS/HSDPA

- And special Apps an Games in the iTunes Appstore

- Ports (on the backside of the round part): USB 2.0, Line in/out, Mini DVI, Macsafe Power

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Possibly. It will look like something
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by derheinifreeq View Post

I'm waiting for a MacPad or iTablet like many other Apple-Users and so I thought about how it could look like!

I did this small mockup - so what do you think? Will the MacPad come in the future and could it look like this?

It would be great, if everyone who like, would post an own or an existing mockup of an iTablet, Macbook touch or Apple netbook in this thread for discussion!

I know there are a lot of discussion and no one could know what will come but this should be a place to collect all the existing pictures, theories, wishes and new pictures from all of you!

- 10,2" Touchscreen

- Full OS X

- Ports (on the backside of the round part): USB 2.0, Line in/out, Mini DVI, Macsafe Power

It needs some kind of stand built into the back so that you can prop it up at a better angle for viewing when typing on a keyboard. This needs to be sturdy and stable enough to allow you to use as a touch screen without knocking it over as well.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    Very nice work! Good idea using the wireless keyboard as a template, perfect angle. Filling out the underside to make more of a wedge shape would probably make a more realistic volume for internals.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:

- 10,2" Touchscreen

- Full OS X

Nice start. Now do the mockup over using your imagination on how Jon Ive might incorporate flexible screen technology.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Aren't we all.

Personally I'm looking for something smaller myself, but the same design concepts are applicable.

Quote:

Well I'd have to say your more warm than cold! I'm looking for a design that is applicable handheld, the rounded end would facilitate a good grip on the device. Much in the same way that SLR evolved grip wise I would expect tablets to do the same. The thing is a ridge planner surface isn't ideal human factors wise.

Quote:

Why?

Besides it is more fun to chew on your idea. Especially when some of us work for a living.

Quote:

I know there are a lot of discussion and no one could know what will come but this should be a place to collect all the existing pictures, theories, wishes and.......

Your pic is enough for a long discussion as it is.

As to what will come I honestly believe it will be a two prong attack. One prong will be new IPod Touch compatible devices for maximum battery time. The others will be Mac compatible. Given that I expect the Mac compatibles to fail in the market place. No sane person wants a tablet that emulates a laptop or tries to deliver legacy apps.

In fact I see the ARM based devices as key to keeping the legacy crap off the tablets. Between the object code compatibility and the separate SDK a nice barrier is formed to kept crap legacy software off theses machines.

Quote:

- 10,2" Touchscreen

WAY to big for me. At least in one incarnation. You see I want one device that is very portable. The problem is once a screen gets to big the portability factor goes out the window. Now where is the size cutoff, this I'm not sure but ten inches is pushing it. At some point one might as well buy a laptop. Frankly the cut off point is probably right at the point where implementing a full size keyboard on a laptop becomes a problem.

Quote:

- Full OS X

That is very much a flunkies approach. Desktop OSes have failed so many times on tablets that it is a total waste of time to follow that route again. Rather the OS needs to be an evolution of Touch.

Quote:

I like the pen idea.

Now this may hurt but I'm not interested in drawing with that pen. Nope not at all, rather I'm interested in hand writing recognition. Yep you heard it here first, HAND WRITING RECOGNITION will be the hot tech on the new tablets. It is the only way besides voice recognition to beat the slow touch keyboards.

Quote:

I honestly believe that the device needs an expansion slot optimized for the RF card of the customers choice. Apple needs to get away from the single carrier tie ups that it has with iPhone. Thus if I want to go with AT&T I can or maybe I can switch to a 4G service. Plus when traveling you really want to hook up locally, with the best service offered. So ideally we would have different modem cards all of which are unlocked.

Quote:

That would be the last thing I'd want to see. There should be nothing special about apps on this machine other than the screen being obviously bigger than the current Touch. You need to think family of devices here with obviously different focuses and screen sizes, but the screen size should not inhibit the running of apps for older hardware such as iPhone.

Quote:

[/quote]

The only ports I want to see are USB & Firewire. Atleast for hard I/O, I'd still want Bluetooth and WiFi.

You might convince me to trade Firewire or USB for Ethernet. The thing is both Firewire and USB have a huge negative impact on battery life as they both can power attached devices. Ethernet doesn't have to do that so it is more power friendly and far more reliable than WiFi. It would be a toss up between Firewire and USB, with Firewire having more potential and USB more reality.

Line in and out should be there too. I'd actually like to see stereo in and out and a separate iPhone compatible jack for just comms programs. One should have to disturb what ever is being recorded just to use voice communications.

[quote]

Thanks

Dave
  • Reply 6 of 23
    At first thanks Dave for this detailed answer!

Quote:

Quote:

Why? Besides it is more fun to chew on your idea. Especially when some of us work for a living.

No one need to make such mockups. Not everyone is able to do that, have the time or like to do that. For me it's fun to try out some ideas and to find out what other people think about that. And it would be fun to see what other people expect or hope to see!

It's one thing to write what a gadget shoud have or not but to see some design ideas is another interesting thing for me!

In the most of the points you're right but there should be two gadgets: One smaler for you and one bigger for me because I want to draw with the tablet and I want special Apps in the Appstore for drawing and to play games on this bigger screen - it doesn't matter if it's the full OS X, the iPhone OS ore another modified OS X, essential is that drawing and playing will work and I think you could be right that the full OS X is not the best choice but let's wait how the Snow leopard will work!

Thanks a lot!
  • Reply 7 of 23
    Quote:

At first thanks Dave for this detailed answer!

No problem, had some free time.

Quote:

No one need to make such mockups. Not everyone is able to do that, have the time or like to do that. For me it's fun to try out some ideas and to find out what other people think about that. And it would be fun to see what other people expect or hope to see!

Right now my idea makeing energy is going into something that will hopefully make money.

Quote:

It's one thing to write what a gadget shoud have or not but to see some design ideas is another interesting thing for me!

I'd actually like to see Apple do something other than a slab. Something with organic curves that fit well in your hands. Any body can do a slab, I want curves and surfaces I can grab onto.

Quote:

In the most of the points you're right but there should be two gadgets: One smaler for you and one bigger for me because I want to draw with the tablet and I want special Apps in the Appstore for drawing and to play games on this bigger screen - it doesn't matter if it's the full OS X, the iPhone OS ore another modified OS X, essential is that drawing and playing will work and I think you could be right that the full OS X is not the best choice but let's wait how the Snow leopard will work!

Thanks a lot!

It isn't so much not wanting a full OS, frankly I want every feature that can be stuffed into the box. It is more a desire to focus on a user interface that makes sense and makes all those features accessible. IPhone does really well for a device with this particular form. To go to a larger device would require improvements in the user interface. Those improvements though need to be focused on direct screen interaction.

As to OS/X and Mobile OS it has been stated that Apple learnt a lot in optimizing the OS/X kernel for iPhone and that some of what they have learned will be applied to Snow Leopard. This cross polination is likely to go back and forth for some time. Considering that new GPUs that are likely to be teamed up with the new ARM cores are OpenCL compatible it is very likely that we will see GPU accelleration come to mobile apps in the future. The question is will that tech make it to iPhone or just a new larger Touch tablet.

Given all of that I don't expect the two OSes to every merge.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    If I understand you right, I'm on the right way withe the curves and the round part that have two functions: the place for hardware like ports and battery, and a grip/stand, if you hold it in your hand or lay it on a table.

just once I have to combine the fun of making such mockups with making money too - I will ask Jonnathan Ive what he think abaout it

In this moment I read an article about an Apple patent about a Tablet from 09.2008! Maybe it will come...
  • Reply 9 of 23
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    The screen could be held in a vertical position - if it were supported by some kind of base.

The base could double-up as a keyboard of some kind.

C.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Quote:

If I understand you right, I'm on the right way withe the curves and the round part that have two functions: the place for hardware like ports and battery, and a grip/stand, if you hold it in your hand or lay it on a table.

just once I have to combine the fun of making such mockups with making money too - I will ask Jonnathan Ive what he think abaout it

In this moment I read an article about an Apple patent about a Tablet from 09.2008! Maybe it will come...

Oy! Hey.....wheres the new mockup using flexible screen tech? It doesn't have to be super fancy. Just make a tablet that can fold in half using a flexible screen. There are plenty of prototypes that do that right now. But I want to see one that Apple might do. Come on man!
  • Reply 11 of 23
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    Search through my earlier posts. I was nearly certain a Mac tablet was coming out over six years ago and so were many others, before OS X 10.2 was even released.

Even thinking about this issue is more trouble than it's worth.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    Quote:

Search through my earlier posts. I was nearly certain a Mac tablet was coming out over six years ago and so were many others, before OS X 10.2 was even released.

I know this and I dont't know if a tablet will come in the near future BUT I think it would be a logic step when you look at the technique of the iPhone, the multitouch interface, the success of the Appstore and the boom of the netbooks, tablets, netvertibles & co. - an Apple Tablet could be a tablet, a drawing tablet, the Apple playstation and the Apple netbook!?

But all I can say of course is that I WISH it would come!

Quote:

Hey.....wheres the new mockup using flexible screen tech? It doesn't have to be super fancy. Just make a tablet that can fold in half using a flexible screen. There are plenty of prototypes that do that right now. But I want to see one that Apple might do. Come on man!

Actual I had in mind that everyone who had an idea or a wish did his own mockup to post it here because I don't have enough time to do the mockups for all your wishes and the major problem is that it is very difficult to draw another ones ideas because I couldn't know exactly what you want and mean and so my work could be senseless. BUT I have the offer that YOU make a simple mockup or sketch and post it and than I will do a mockup. Additional you could post pictures of existing projekts that you like.

This is the only way I could realy see what you mean and don't waste my time.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    @ Olternaut:

So, there is a small mockup to see if this is the kind of screen that you mean!? But I must say, that I don't like it as much as a static screen and this technologie is not usable with the touchscreen-technologie I think so one step after another!

So I'm decent and I only want the "normal" tablet that looks better to me and seems to have better haptics!

• Reply 14 of 23
    Quote:

Personally I think you are over estimating the value of that grip/stand on a table. You would need a screen with a very wide viewing angle.

Quote:

Or go into business for yourself. Something I think about lately after all these years of working for somebody else.

Quote:

Well maybe. I'm still wondering what the hold up is. If Apple came out with three different models they could be successful just with pent up demand.

Dave
  • Reply 15 of 23
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

@ Olternaut:

So, there is a small mockup to see if this is the kind of screen that you mean!? But I must say, that I don't like it as much as a static screen and this technologie is to usable with the touchscreen-technologie!

So I'm decent and I only want the "normal" tablet that looks better to me and seems to have better haptics!

That's hilarious; a computer tube!
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Quote:

@ Olternaut:

So, there is a small mockup to see if this is the kind of screen that you mean!? But I must say, that I don't like it as much as a static screen and this technologie is not usable with the touchscreen-technologie I think so one step after another!

That is similar to that futurisitc Sony PSP mockup thats floating around. A design imo that is actually a bit TOO simplistic.

That is what I think the rest of the industry might do with the technology. But somehow I don't think that is what Jon Ive might do.

The technology must be utilized in a way that solves inherent problems faced today by mobile users.

Ok wait. Its unfair for me to ask you to problem solve like Mr. Ive. So let me give you an idea to run with.

Instead of a top down vertical slide out device.....make it a horizontal so that you hold the cylinder in your hand and pull out the screen from left to right. The display itself by the way does not have to be as flexible as a sheet of paper. You should be able to hold the unit in one hand and touch the screen with the other. Dont forget to make the cylinder more ergonomic so it fits in someone's hand comfortably.

I don't think your going to need a sketch for that because the idea is very straightfoward.

EDIT: Oh, and make the GUI for the OS based more on the iphone GUI as opposed to Mac OSX. In fact, if you want to go the extra mile make the OS GUI a cross between the iphone's and a Mac.
  • Reply 17 of 23
    Quote:

So let me give you an idea to run with.

Instead of a top down vertical slide out device.....make it a horizontal so that you hold the cylinder in your hand and pull out the screen from left to right. The display itself by the way does not have to be as flexible as a sheet of paper. You should be able to hold the unit in one hand and touch the screen with the other. Dont forget to make the cylinder more ergonomic so it fits in someone's hand comfortably.

I don't think your going to need a sketch for that the idea is very straightfoward.

EDIT: Oh, and make the GUI for the OS based more on the iphone GUI as opposed to Mac OSX. In fact, if you want to go the extra mile make the OS GUI a cross between the iphone's and a Mac.

Haha, hey Olternaut I believe you think I did this thread for the reason that everyone could tell me his ideas and I make the pictures and wiches come true!?

I did the one for YOU but this is not MY idea of a new gadget. I want the TABLET in the way I made the mockup! This idea is yours and I miss the real intention to work on this! I'm sorry but the one picture was only a present If anyone has new ideas to the kind of tablet that I want, than I will work on it but this is your idea so you have to work on it!

I think it's a good idea so make the pictures how you want it to look like!?
  • Reply 18 of 23
    Quote:

Haha, hey Olternaut I believe you think I did this thread for the reason that everyone could tell me his ideas and I make the pictures and wiches come true!?

I did the one for YOU but this is not MY idea of a new gadget. I want the TABLET in the way I made the mockup! This idea is yours and I miss the real intention to work on this! I'm sorry but the one picture was only a present If anyone has new ideas to the kind of tablet that I want, than I will work on it but this is your idea so you have to work on it!

I think it's a good idea so make the pictures how you want it to look like!?

I wish I was an artist. Then I would show you all the ideas. Alas, they are all stuck in my head.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    Hm, thats bad for you but a little bit photoshoping is not so difficult - learning by doing!

The problem for me to work on your idea is, that I can't realy inspire for it because I want a tablet as gaming platform, drawing tablet and more and for this the idea of a flexible screen doesn't realy fit (or I think it at the moment, maybe someone with a good picture can show me that I'm wrong)! For the kind of tablet I think about the static display is necessary I beliefe and the flexible screen is somithing which is useable for ebookreading or surfing the net!?
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Quote:

Hm, thats bad for you but a little bit photoshoping is not so difficult - learning by doing!

The problem for me to work on your idea is, that I can't realy inspire for it because I want a tablet as gaming platform, drawing tablet and more and for this the idea of a flexible screen doesn't realy fit (or I think it at the moment, maybe someone with a good picture can show me that I'm wrong)! For the kind of tablet I think about the static display is necessary I beliefe and the flexible screen is somithing which is useable for ebookreading or surfing the net!?

Respectfully, your wrong. Its going to take a flexbile screen to do all that you want. But its definately not the flexible screen thats in the picture and that your thinking of. Its a good picture you made and I like it. But of course the way you made it is TOO flexible for it to be able to be a solution for the needs you have.

Basicially, the screen needs to be flexible enough to adjust to the size for the particular purpose you want. Small for cell phone use then larger for gaming and productivity. The device MUST conform to YOUR WILL and never the other way around. And yes it can be done with today's technology.

But perhaps the very idea of the design is beyond even Jon Ive and Steve Jobs.