Apple says 17-inch MacBook Pros will see further delays

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple said Wednesday that it's facing unexpected delays related to its new unibody 17-inch MacBook Pros and won't be capable of shipping orders for at least another two weeks.

"Wrapping up the new 17-inch MacBook Pro is taking a few days longer than we projected," the company said in an email sent to thousands of customers this afternoon. "As a result, we will be unable to ship your 17-inch MacBook Pro until February 19, 2009."

Despite reports last week to the contrary, Apple hasn't shipped a single 17-inch MacBook Pro. Even customers who purchased immediately following the notebook's announcement last month are still waiting on their orders.

"I pre-ordered the new Macbook Pro 17" just before 3PM EST on January 6th, the day it was announced at MacWorld '09," said one customer. "Upon placing my order the ship date was set for February 4th with a receive date of February 9th [...] I went to check the status of my order only to find that the shipping date has been pushed out to February 19th, with no estimated receive date."

Apple isn't providing customers with an explanation for the delay, but is offering them the option of canceling their orders for a prompt refund by calling 800-676-2775 or by visiting its online order status website.

"If we do not hear from you before we ship the 17-inch MacBook Pro to you, we will assume that you have agreed to this shipment delay," the company added in its email blast. "In that event, a shipment notification with tracking information will be emailed to you as soon as your order is shipped."

Although the Mac maker briefly changed lead times on its online store last week to reflect availability of the high-end notebook in 7-10 business days, it pushed those lead times back out to 3-4 weeks about an hour before it began informing customers of the latest round of delays.

Two weeks ago, AppleInsider reported that Apple was expected to push delivery of the new 17-inch MacBook Pro out towards March. The Cupertino-based company initially promised that orders would begin shipping in late January.

Update: Apple has told at least one customer that it is waiting on certain components specific to the 17-inch MacBook Pro from its supply chain before it can begin shipping the notebooks.

For those waiting anyway, MacMall is offering AppleInsider readers an additional 3% off all MacBook Pros through Feb 28th, which brings the net cost of the $2799 system down to $2,610.18 after a mail-in-rebate (details).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 72
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Awww, shit. This totally blows. It probably also explains why Apple's giving up on trade shows. Just about everything Apple's announced at Macworld never ships until weeks or even months afterward.
  • Reply 2 of 72
    Mine was supposed to ship on Feb 6, now the delay is until Feb 19th. I dont know how much more I can take of this!
  • Reply 3 of 72
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    I am just a bummed about iLife and iWork, having to wait on both of those items as well. Apple should allow us to get a copy of both and get a refund when we get our systems.
  • Reply 4 of 72
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Well, if this is yet another in the long line of recent Apple QC issues at least they caught it before the product shipped.
  • Reply 5 of 72
    Phil says "end of January." I order two hours later. Ship date: Feb 4. Wait a month. Now wait two more weeks. Pathetic. If they couldn't get the computers ready until mid-February, they shouldn't have announced the things until mid-February.
  • Reply 6 of 72
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Ouch. I feel for anyone who has to wait. When I decide to buy I'm lucky enough to have an Apple Store nearby. I don't have Mac purchase patience at all.

On the other hand, they don't always have exactly what you want in stock. Next day pickup at the store would be nice. Order on the web, pick up at the store. Helpful for people who can't meet the FedEx man. Do they have anything like that??
  • Reply 7 of 72
    Why Apple Why! It's not so bad for me as my original shipping date was the 18th, so I'm not too fussed about it. I just know its going to come eventually so I'm content.

That is the price to pay for pre-ordering, I may not like that I don't have my new toy now, but I am patient
  • Reply 8 of 72
    I have only been following Apple for about 3 and 1/2 years, but it seems to me that they are really struggling with their quality control in light of their market share growth. While I understand how big a task it must be, it still feels like they are losing the magic a little bit. I also realize they set the bar pretty high with the iPhone, but I feel like we are past due to be wowed by them.
  • Reply 9 of 72
    revsrevs Posts: 93member
    Gahhh sucks for those of you waiting. I'm holding out until the next revision and cant help thinking that the more these are delayed, the more the next revision will be delayed. I'm guessing they will be out September/October time.
  • Reply 10 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

I am just a bummed about iLife and iWork, having to wait on both of those items as well. Apple should allow us to get a copy of both and get a refund when we get our systems.

I fully agree with that - I figured that it was a prime time to buy, based on the timing of the software release and the (supposed) hardware release. Now it's nearly an extra month. It's the least they could do!
  • Reply 11 of 72
    After calling Apple Customer Service, I was told that shipments of ALL 17 inch MacBook Pro models (standard configuration and built to order) have been delayed until February 19, 2009. The reason stated was that Apple is waiting for some components for the MBP. As soon as they arrive, the 17-inch MBP production will begin. Please verify this claim.
  • Reply 12 of 72
    So, shipping on the 19th, will put the 3rd day on a Saturday. Does anyone know if FedEx delivers on the weekend or are we really talking about the 23rd?
  • Reply 13 of 72
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    My money is on 9400 chipset issues
  • Reply 14 of 72
    i guess tech problems
  • Reply 15 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by veloboldie View Post

After calling Apple Customer Service, I was told that shipments of ALL 17 inch MacBook Pro models (standard configuration and built to order) have been delayed until February 19, 2009. The reason stated was that Apple is waiting for some components for the MBP. As soon as they arrive, the 17-inch MBP production will begin. Please verify this claim.

This is what I was told on Monday as well, off the cuff so to speak.
  • Reply 16 of 72
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ashleyeaster View Post

I fully agree with that - I figured that it was a prime time to buy, based on the timing of the software release and the (supposed) hardware release. Now it's nearly an extra month. It's the least they could do!

Apple should give you a couple of hundred bucks of free software because you have a two week delay in categorising your pics by face? Or because your iMovie project could have really used that map feature?
  • Reply 17 of 72
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

My money is on 9400 chipset issues

I take dibs on 17-inch LED panel.
  • Reply 18 of 72
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lordyoupeoplearedense View Post

Phil says "end of January." I order two hours later. Ship date: Feb 4. Wait a month. Now wait two more weeks. Pathetic. If they couldn't get the computers ready until mid-February, they shouldn't have announced the things until mid-February.

This is exactly why Apple isn't doing MacWorlds anymore. They weren't ready to ship this, but knew they had to release something at the keynote and this was the closest thing they could get out. If you've noticed everything they release when they call an Apple Event ships that day (or they give a confirmed shipping date). Its hard to predict when a product is going to ship when its not ready to ship the day its announced.

BTW...I don't believe Apple owes you squat! Sorry Charlie, I've had to wait for many things in life, longer than I was told. Its just one of those things where you say "shit happens". Its not like Apple is purposely delaying this shipment. It hurts Apple as much as it does you. They aren't making any money off it until it ships, mean while they're still pouring money into this product.
  • Reply 19 of 72
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

I take dibs on 17-inch LED panel.

Maybe they're trying to figure out how to get FireWire on it.
  • Reply 20 of 72
    Yeah, this is how its been for a while. Remember the 2.5 liquid G5 towers? I waited through three months of delay for those motherfuckers. This is what happens with first generation tech from Apple. Ah well.