Apple to drop support for certain G4 Macs, Xserves

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Judging by how the list phrases the other models, I'd say only the original (Titanium) PBG4 is obsolete. Later models would be listed as "PowerBook G4 (something)".
  • Reply 22 of 61
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    At least my iMac G3 (rev. B) isn't on the list. What? It was obsolete long ago? What'll I tell my screen saver goldfish??
  • Reply 23 of 61
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

That's it. I'm moving to California.

Bring the 10 million US you need to buy a house. I love my cube!
  • Reply 24 of 61
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kambeishimada View Post

Apple names each CPU revision a specific name. For example my MacBook Pro is "MacBook Pro (early '08). If you look at http://www.apple.com/support/specs you'll see the specs that refer to this particular model. Take a look at http://support.apple.com/specs#powerbook%20G4 and you'll see the range of different PB models. So Apple is only announcing that a model named "powerbook G4" is considered vintage.

That is exactly my point. Some may be confused as to whether or not their specific PB G4 is obsolete or not. Not many pay attention to Apple's particular revision name for each PB G4 model.
  • Reply 25 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tony1 View Post

"Vintage"? Hmmmmm so does that mean that my Pismo is worth more now, like a "Vintage" Chevy. So I guess I'll wait a few weeks before I ask $1000+ on Ebay. ...just kidding she'll go with me to my grave.

You do know that your Pismo is regarded as one of the best PowerBooks made. My PowerBook G4 (867 MHz) 15" Titanium still looks brand-new and it will be 7 years old this year.
  • Reply 26 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brianus View Post

Eh? The other guy was right; the black keyboard is pretty jarring and ugly. They should have gone with white, in keeping with the whole everything-looks-like-an-iPhone theme. After all the standalone keyboards have white keys, as does the iPhone on-screen keyboard. More distinctive and Apple-y too.. black keys just make it look like another PC laptop.

The iPhone's on screen keyboard is gray. My iPhone is black (when off), so I don't know what you are thinking when you claim they should go white, like the whole iPhone theme. Here is the problem with white keyboards: even if your hands are clean, the white keyboard still gets dirty, and they show all the dirt. So after awhile, your white keyboard looks like crap.

My PowerBook G3 and PowerBook G4 have black keyboards and they look brand new. The black keyboards also work better with the illumination. The keys washed out with the silver keys and illumination.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by city View Post

Bring the 10 million US you need to buy a house. I love my cube!

Check with the banks directly... You'll be able to pickup 3bd/2.5ba for less than $200k near Cup/San/Los easy... Getting a loan might be tougher but foreclosures are buy one/get one. Ca is over 22% foreclosure as of Jan 28th, 2009.

You want a real winner, Cape Coral, FL. 4bd/3.5ba, 3700sq, NEW never lived in... 1/4 mile to the beach... $144k.

I have both MBP designs here. They both look good. The old one is having screen envy of the new one, the new one is having keyboard envy of the old one. I ran some baseline performance stuff today. New one is 2.4ghz, old one is 2.16ghz. Both 2gb of ram, old one has 7200rpm Scorpio Black. Exporting 1hr10min iMovie (09') to AVI was NILL difference (ok maybe a couple seconds). Exporting to Full HD, the new one did it in a couple mins quicker but since total time was over 30...

The new keyboard isn't bad but it sticks out. Would be cool if they painted the recess something. The screen alone is worth buying it.

Wish business would pickup.
  • Reply 28 of 61
    brianusbrianus Posts: 169member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

The iPhone's on screen keyboard is gray. My iPhone is black (when off), so I don't know what you are thinking when you claim they should go white, like the whole iPhone theme.

Uh... no. The onscreen iPhone keys are white on a gray bezel, just like the Apple USB and bluetooth keyboards are white on aluminum. Duh.

• Reply 29 of 61
    I guess I really don't care if my '06 PBG4 is obsolete by Apple's standards or not. If it "broke" to the extent that I needed to order parts from Apple (at their prices ) there would be no hesitation on just replacing it with a new computer instead. (In reality, it wouldn't take that much breakage... a simple dead hard drive would probably drive me to replace the entire machine rather than just the HDD... even the $999 white MB is a much better machine these days.)
  • Reply 30 of 61
    moochmooch Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Well now I'm confused also.

This story was on several sites yesterday and the consensus was that ALL PowerBook G4's were now obsolete. I don't see it as a problem either way, but I would prefer them all to be obsolete at once than to get down to version numbers. Even the newest of them are old enough to qualify IMO.

I'm pretty sure "PowerBook G4" only refers to this model (introduced Jan 2001):

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP114
  • Reply 31 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

If you own one of the aforementioned products and it's in need of repair, you may want to contact your local AASP in the next few weeks.

Well, I own a Quicksilver G4 that I took in for repair a month ago and was told that Apple no longer makes the logic board that I need to replace. I don't mind too much, because I wanted an excuse to buy a new computer anyway, but it doesn't seem consistent with this article.
  • Reply 32 of 61
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Uh... no. The onscreen iPhone keys are white on a gray bezel, just like the Apple USB and bluetooth keyboards are white on aluminum. Duh.

Congratulations on ignoring the points re: keyboard illumination, and on not knowing the difference between grey and white. Here's a hint: in the utilities folder on your Mac, you'll find an app called "DigitalColor Meter" launch it, change the drop down to "RGB as actual value, 8 bit", then mouse over the keys in that screen shot you provided. At know point will the meter show "255, 255, 255", which is what white is. The keys are grey. Granted, they're lighter than the grey bezel, but they're still grey. Duh!
  • Reply 33 of 61
    Quote:

Since you don't own an iPhone and you had to look for a bad stock photo, the keys are actually light GRAY. The search bar is white for comparison.

White keys on the MacBook Pro with the black screen bezel would look retarded. If you really have a need for a white keyboard, buy the white MacBook. Comparing the keyboard on the iPhone is really stupid considering the keyboard is not always visible and rarely used except for email or text. Also, the keyboard on the iPhone doesn't get dirty like a desktop keyboard would. Duh!
  • Reply 34 of 61
    Apple stopped selling the XServe RAID just over a year ago. How does this equal "more than 5 but less than 7"? They are saying something is discontinued based on the date it was introduced?

I'm one to stand up for Apple on most things, but you can't drop support for a product you still sold as NEW less than two years ago. I'm glad I don't personally own one . . . these guys are running away from it like it was on fire.
  • Reply 35 of 61
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Your nuts. The newest Macbook is by far the nicest computer I have ever used. My step father recently bought one. First, the keyboard is exceptionally nice compared to the Mac Book Pro G4 that it replaced (don't get me wrong, that was a nice computer as well). Second, the screen is nicer on the newest Macbook Pro. Third, the multi-touch capabilities in the track pad are awesome. Except for maybe the price, I really can't find one thing to complain about. Even that isn't terrible.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHAPIRO2 View Post

Also, the new MacBook Pros are BS. They are ugly with that black keyboard and I don't want to carry adapters around just to plug it into devices.

• Reply 36 of 61
    Quote:

It means all PowerBook G4's. I don't get what's confusing.

Are you saying there is a spelling mistake?

yes, there is a spelling mistake.... it's called your smart@ss comment... maybe you should erase it to save face.
  • Reply 37 of 61
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Congratulations on ignoring the points re: keyboard illumination, and on not knowing the difference between grey and white. Here's a hint: in the utilities folder on your Mac, you'll find an app called "DigitalColor Meter" launch it, change the drop down to "RGB as actual value, 8 bit", then mouse over the keys in that screen shot you provided. At know point will the meter show "255, 255, 255", which is what white is. The keys are grey. Granted, they're lighter than the grey bezel, but they're still grey. Duh!

Now that's getting awfully fussy, a lot of that "gray" is within 5% of the white value. If a person has to use a fancy eyedropper tool to tell the difference, then for most intents and purposes in a casual discussion, it's close enough to white to be called white. If it were converted to MPEG, much of the keys could be clipped to white.

Though it's nice to know that tool is there, I never did try it before.
  • Reply 38 of 61
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

Check with the banks directly... You'll be able to pickup 3bd/2.5ba for less than $200k near Cup/San/Los easy... Getting a loan might be tougher but foreclosures are buy one/get one. Ca is over 22% foreclosure as of Jan 28th, 2009.

What can I get near Steve Jobs in Atherton wih the kitchen still in place?
  • Reply 39 of 61
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple next month will discontinue repair support for a number of aging Macs powered by PowerPC G4 processors as well as a handful of Xserve products.

Wow... How alarming!

You could have just said: "Apple next month will discontinue repair support for certain products that have been discontinued more than five years ago."

That's the entire content of this story.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    Quote:

If you bought it then you must have bought one of the very last ones and you would have known when you bought it that it was a dead end. And three years is better than any Windows laptop I have ever owned by about 1.5 years.

You have to stop shopping on craiglist and acer. A windows laptop whether xp vista or 98 should last you way more than 1.5. I have a 1210 going on 3 uears and it is working fine. I am looking forward to windows 7. My dad has a vaio he got in 2001 and it still runs fine. You should take care of your stuff. I would say buy a mac but you'll probably thrash it. And a mac is pricey u don't want to be thrashing a pricey mac.