Briefly: Apple growth, 9-year old iPhone dev, WebKit update

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

Not to be jealous or anything, just I find it hard to believe.

I'm usually skeptical when you get some amazing kid that does the exact same job as his dad. There's no reason his dad couldn't have handed him a template to modify into a useful app. He could also be going for a similar angle as the pretty girl developing an app all by herself. Women and children always get more support than if a man does anything.

However, I'm sure that the journalists who originally reported this flew over there and tested the credibility of the story. What kind of world would we be living in if the media lied to us on a regular basis?

It's perfectly possible for a kid to write simple apps though, they have quite a lot of free time and it's certainly better than sitting around playing a Wii all day.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AI

WebKit now supports CSS animations

Looks very nice although the shapes don't have anti-aliasing. Plus this type of animation won't take off until Internet Explorer adds support for it in v8 (due this quarter) and there is an easy to use animation program for developing them. Dreamweaver is owned by Adobe so I'd imagine there will be some resistance there.

Not to mention video support. Cross platform streaming video comes with Flash. Unless they somehow mandate Mpeg-4 video into the new standard, you still can't reliably embed videos without Flash and expect to hit a wide audience. From the looks of the standard, you will be able to choose any type of video meaning people who don't have the codec will be left without video or coerced to download and install some random codec that might be a trojan of some sort.

Perhaps this is where Quicktime X comes in for Mac users. The only hurdle really is Windows media support.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

What kind of world would we be living in if the media lied to us on a regular basis?

Its a sad time we are living in, and SOME medias do tend to lie to us on a regular basis. I live in the uk, and if I wanted to get some unbiased news or report, BBC is the last channel I would go for, except for David Attenborough's natural programes of course.

But that do not mean I dont believe the report, I'd just take it with a little gain of salt.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Isn't that the kid who has the world record for memorizing Pi, already has an O level in Chemistry and is currently studying a degree in Chemistry?

I'm sure I saw a documentary about him on thw TV the other night there...
  • Reply 24 of 33
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Not to bust anyone bubbles, but how the heck do this kid is able to fluent in 6 programming languages and even write a app at the age of 9??? A child can even barely read or speak at the age of 2 and he starts using computer at the age of 2? Heck how old he started learning programming? 4 years old? Yikes, and I know in Asian country, esp Singapore, they tend to be very competitive in their education, so assuming he goes to school, where the heck he finds the time to program, do school work and other activities. I dunno, but I remain skeptical. If he master only 1 programming language and written a iPhone app at 9 then I believe, but 6???

Not to be jealous or anything, just I find it hard to believe.

My daughter was using a computer all by herself when she was 2 1/2. She was reading basic books by three. She was a computer wiz by the time she started kindergarden at 5. I can understand it.

Mozart wrote his first symphony when he was 6, I believe, so why not this?
  • Reply 25 of 33
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It is. While I am sure Jobs would have been successful in many other fields as I think it I'd his personality and that Woz would have never had the business accumen to make his PC a viable product, he was the catalyst. I do find it a bit odd that only after Apple's redmergence that Woz seems to be seeking the spotlight. Perhaps it only appears that way because the tech media is more interested in Apple's go-founder, but I don't think so.

He started a couple of companies that bombed. I just think hes like a bunch of other technical guys who were in the right place at the right time.

Really, what he did wasn't so difficult. No one had bothered to do it before for a personal computer. Thats about all. I would imagine that he and Jobs talked about what they needed, and he built it with his engineering skills.

While he is a likable guy, he's never shown any real talent other than those first few fairly simple designs. If he took that full time job at Hp instead, we likely would never have heard of him.

I'm not dissing him, but sometimes people do get lucky.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Isn't that the kid who has the world record for memorizing Pi, already has an O level in Chemistry and is currently studying a degree in Chemistry?

I'm sure I saw a documentary about him on thw TV the other night there...

You're not implying they all look the same are you?

http://www.humorscore.com/videos/Fam..._-_Jackie_Chan

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

While he is a likable guy, he's never shown any real talent other than those first few fairly simple designs. If he took that full time job at Hp instead, we likely would never have heard of him.

I'm not dissing him, but sometimes people do get lucky.

Very true, there are universities all over the place full of people who are very talented and intelligent and yet the people who reach the media with fame and wealth are generally airhead celebrities and politicians. Without that same recognition and financial status, those people may never get the chance to make any progress in their respective fields.

Luck, social factors among others are required besides just being good at something.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    The CSS animations in WebKit is HUGE, folks.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    It's a free app. 4000 downloads for a free app is not impressive. I don't really care about whether the kid can really program, but I find the whole marketing angle of "This app was done by a 9 year old" cheap.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    hmm, interesting (as in good responses and make me believe its possible) but I really wonder to what extend he is fluent in 6 programming languages, he must have some kind of super memory or something.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

hmm, interesting (as in good responses and make me believe its possible) but I really wonder to what extend he is fluent in 6 programming languages, he must have some kind of super memory or something.

At that young age, I'd say that the impressive part is his ability to focus, not his ability for long term retention.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    well my granddaughter just turned 18 months and she can take my iphone hit the home button to wake it up, slide the button to unlock, go to the photo albums, open up the album and scroll to her favorite picture and open it up (her and mickey mouse on mine - her crying in a car seat with grandmas?) She can also go to videos and play music videos. I am hoping by age 2 to teach her how to call specific people.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Quote:

6 languages to do "Hello World!"??
  • Reply 33 of 33
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Lim...is fluent in six programming languages and has been using computers since he was two years old, and he's completed more than 20 programming projects since age 7....

Good for you kid.

My projects included watching Transformers and playing with Transformers at that age. Can you beat that?