Why is Bento not integrated into Mac OS X?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Why is Bento (filemaker pro "sibling") not truly a part of the mac experience, as in, out of the box? It should be a layer of convinience in Mac OS X, when shipped. It would make life on your mac so much easier! I love iLife and iWork, but why an "orginizer" like Bento isn´t an integraded part of the OS is a mystery to me? That would be a big selling point, as it would make your Mac even more intuitative and easy to use in daily life. The Mac is known for having convinient and usefull software right by your hand, out of the box. Why is the most usefull tool missing? It has to be a part of Mac OS in the future, if you ask me. In some form or another. Am I right? Do you see this happen?

Apple has made some of the features in Bento available for the Mac environment, but not fully and to a really usefull point yet...

Any words on this...?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    A consumer with a personal database is like the mule with the spinning wheel... nobody knows how he got it and danged if he knows how to use it.

I think it's one of those things that people would know it could be useful to them but likely wouldn't bother spending the time and effort figuring out the how and why.

From a consumer perspective, a big flaw is that it presumes you'd need a central location for all your information. I personally don't. For certain things like event planning and small business management, it could be useful but even the latter, I'd use a program like MYOB or Quickbooks.

The uses it points out on the website are exaggerated somewhat and you can tell this by counting the amount of times they use the word 'information'. Essentially, this is it. Information management.

Apps already do this in a far more logical way than a centralized app would. itunes is for music, address book for contacts, ical for event dates and so on and they persuade you how you should manage that information rather than giving you an empty space to manage it however you'd like. If I was planning an event, for example a wedding, it would be nice to pull contacts from address book to use in seating plans and duties but beyond this sort of thing, the uses are very few.

It would be like Automator to some extent. When you find that odd circumstance where doing things the normal way doesn't quite work well enough, you turn to it. But adding up the amount of times you use it over a year or two, you'd probably realise that you could live without it.

I wouldn't deny that for some it would add more value to the ilife suite, I just think the uses are limited. Perhaps real-world examples would change my mind though if I saw people using it for a purpose I hadn't considered on a regular basis and it had advantages over other methods.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    I agree, the average user simply doesn't need it. Great for SOHOs