Wine

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Any other wine ponces here?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Due to medication, nowadays I can't take more than a quarter of a glass of alcoholic beverage once a week.

That said, I used to like a nice Sauvignon Blanc, not too dry, served quite chilled.

Australian or Northern Californian.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    I'm a cheapo.

For Red, I always go with Montepulciano D'Abruzzo, an inexpensive (but lately hard to find) dry Italian.

But lately my most frequently consumed wine (at home) is the cheap, fruity but slightly dry and light Mateus Rosé. Must be served well-chilled.

A fairly accurate review.

I don't really much care for most whites. Sauvignon Blanc is too syrupy tasting for me. Chardonnay is lighter, but still not my fave.

I do, however, like a little sparkling wine sometimes, and my current favorite is Freixenet Cava Brut - Cordon Negro. Again, very cheap, decent reviews, some people hate it (probably those who hate anything under $50), but those of us who like cheap wines love it.

A brief review.

My wife and I drank this to ring in 2009, and it certainly led to a very memorable evening. LOL. A highlight of my life.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Franzia. I take it out of the box and slouch the bag over my shoulder.

It's great.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I'm all over Rieslings at the moment, especially the drier Spatlese varieties from the Mosel valley.

My wife likes the big, spicy reds, though, so one ofus is bound to be less-than-satisfied with whatever wine selection we make.

Maybe I'll find some good Rosés for us to try... a half-assed compromise.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Bottle a night addiction here, mixed with a healthy dose of liquid gold.

Being on the other side of the world would not even begin to recommend wines for people (unless they are in my backyard).

I do however find it funny how Yellowtail is such a big seller in the States. Utter gash. And don't argue Rosemount is so much better. (though just had a Rosemount GSM 2001 - looking tired)
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Yellowtail is cheap. That's the only reason it's such a big seller.

I don't think I've ever had an Australian or New Zealand wine that I liked.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    For a decent $12ish bottle I like Bogle's Petite Sirah and occasionally their Merlot. I'm not a big white wine drinker, but I hear the Chardonnay is awesome as well.

I've been kind of addicted lately to Pinot Evil too. It's on the cheap side at ~$20 for a 3L box, but it's pretty tasty for being so inexpensive. It's great to have on hand if you're in the kitchen for a few hours cooking. Nice label too!

• Reply 8 of 20
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groverat View Post

I'm all over Rieslings at the moment, especially the drier Spatlese varieties from the Mosel valley.

My wife likes the big, spicy reds, though, so one ofus is bound to be less-than-satisfied with whatever wine selection we make.

Maybe I'll find some good Rosés for us to try... a half-assed compromise.

You like the german whites at the moment?

Tell you what.

There is a wine that you MUST search out I mean MUST!!!!

It is not German. Not too sweet. and I never ever would have thought to buy it.

"New Age" white wine from Argentina. I was given a sample of it at a very nice store in the area.

NEEDLESS TO SAY.... I bought some!! Wait until you try it. It may just convince you that no other white is worth the time of day LOL!

It does not hurt that at my store this stuff is give away for $6.99 right now.

http://www.quintessentialwines.com/q...sp?cat_id=1024

Fellows
  • Reply 9 of 20
    I do like wine but I dislike the level of snobbery that is wrapped into the identity of American wine enthusiasm. I prefer the beer scene, which is much more fun-loving yet has lately been just as craft-oriented as the wine scene.

If I am in the company of wine drinkers (like if taken to a wine bar), I tend to go for flights of spicy and/or fruity wines, red and white. I do not like big reds ... at all (too much astringent / dessicant affect due to all the peel, I suppose).
  • Reply 10 of 20
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    You should come hang out with my friends. No snobbery about wine here. New Years was spent bouncing from one bottle to another cheap and good mixed with expensive and good.

I'll drink just about any wine that's good. Like Fellowship I'm into summer wines these days because I'm so figgin sick of winter. Naia Verdejo is one of the wines I went back to over and over again last summer. It makes we want to eat more seafood. Friend of mine is really into Chateau st Michael cabs'. I'm a sucker for a late harvest riesling.

I hate Pinos with no flavor. I hate shiraz that are bad. I'm still trying to find a chardonnay that was like the one I had in Paris with a huge bowl of steamed muscles in front of me. Maybe it was the time and the place and no so much the wine.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    BTW,,

Don't bother with the New Age Rose. Had much better products than this one.

However the New Age White is quite good!!!

Fellows
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:

Any other wine ponces here?

http://www.coatesvineyards.com/

out of Nor. Cal.

They make wines that many others wines could only imagine tasting like. Any varietal from 2004 is sure to please.

btw: I'm unfamiliar with the term "Wine Ponce." Never heard it before...and am especially confused as Ponce is an English insult towards one who lives off the earnings of a prostitute.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by user_23 View Post

btw: I'm unfamiliar with the term "Wine Ponce." Never heard it before...and am especially confused as Ponce is an English insult towards one who lives off the earnings of a prostitute.

My guess is that it relates to the [mis]conception that any guy who drinks wine is a rampant homosexual.

Felton Road Vin Gris 2006 tonight. Drinking well.

• Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Omega View Post

My guess is that it relates to the [mis]conception that any guy who drinks wine is a rampant homosexual.

Felton Road Vin Gris 2006 tonight. Drinking well.

It actually refers to Ponce de Leon, early explorer of the americas.

(total BS)
  • Reply 15 of 20
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    The wife and I are just starting to get into wine, but don't know much about them. I used be very into liquor over beer (never could stand beer, they all taste like swill to me), but with my medication now I restrict myself to an occasional glass of wine or Baileys at most.

We found this documentary to be interesting for basic information:

(available on Netflix for those that have it)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_for_the_Confused

For the ones posting about wine snobs, you'll get a laugh out of the movie:

Quote:

The film concludes with a large group conducting a blind wine tasting. One of the tasting results was the fact that most tasters could not distinguish between red wine and white wine. Another was that most tasters rated an inexpensive wine equal in taste to an expensive prestige wine, and both of these out scored the rest of the mid-priced and high-priced wines in the blind test.

• Reply 16 of 20
    Despite the fact that I have always preferred beer (I think it has a lot to do with the bubbles ... I like champagne too), this thread inspired me to do something I have been putting off for a long time. I joined the K&L wine club. (klwines.com) Wine drinkers I talk to in this area can't speak highly enough of this club ... I guess I'll find out if they're just blowing smoke or not.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    I think I don't drink enough cabs either.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    You guys high tail it over to wine.com and check the "90+ rated under $20" category.

DO NOT trust those ratings unless they are from Robert Parker, Wine Spectator, or Steve Tanzer. Watch and drink from that list off and on for a year, and you can't go wrong.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:

I'm unfamiliar with the term "Wine Ponce." Never heard it before...and am especially confused as Ponce is an English insult towards one who lives off the earnings of a prostitute.

I stole it from James May.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:

i stole it from james may.

Captain Slow!