Apple's Snow Leopard to load printer drivers on demand

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

Uh, because on October 19, 1781, General Lord Cornwallis surrendered at Yorktown.

• Reply 22 of 88
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    That's Thinking Different
  • Reply 23 of 88
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

That was exactly the final straw that broke me away from Windows. After years of issues with windows, I ended up with a new laptop with vista, could not print and also could not connect to the Internet. I desperately needed to print and ended up buying a new router just to get hold of the drivers from the net. I swore then to switch.

So it's makes me wary to see that same scenario looming in this feature.

Except (at least in my experience) it's a tad easier getting online within OS X than Windows Vista, especially over WiFi.
  • Reply 24 of 88
    This could be troublesome on the road at hotel business centers and such. I run a for-profit business center in a luxury resort, and the Macs have always been the easiest to plug into a printer via USB and be printing in seconds with no user interaction at all needed. Windows either doesn't have the driver, requires user interaction, and sometimes fails completely. The printers are standard HP LaserJets.

If the Macs aren't going to come with the drivers, then users will need to first connect to the Internet. And since we charge for Internet in the business center, they would need to pay for that as well. In my case, I would of course waive the charge for Internet access just to load a driver.

Of course, they could also just use a driver CD (unless they have a Macbook Air) in which case they could load from our USB Flash/Thumb drive.

The main point I want to make is that it won't be a simple plug-and-play situation anymore.

- Daniel
  • Reply 25 of 88
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Ahhhhh

First printer drivers ..next SU for 3rd party applications.
  • Reply 26 of 88
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluedalmatian View Post

One of the things that annoys me about an OS X install is it spends ages loading umpteen foreign languages which Im never going to needs yet it still doesnt support British English

that is annoying. considering how many countries use british english, it seems bizarre. i think it was in the days of OS9 that apple ditched 'english for the rest of us' in their choices for the operating system and nothing has been done to remedy this since then....

it shouldn't be that big a deal to implement it.
  • Reply 27 of 88
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:

Uh, because on October 19, 1781, General Lord Cornwallis surrendered at Yorktown.

but canadians burnt down the white house in 1814... so how about it, eh?
  • Reply 28 of 88
    I think this is a good first step. Next I hope they purge all the un necessary languages from their application bundles. Even though you can choose to not install languages with OS X, their apps are still bloated big time with other languages which take up a huge amount of space.
  • Reply 29 of 88
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    Well chances are even if Apple does cut down on the drivers, there will still be a small handful of generic drivers installed. Does anyone know whether laser printers can provide the PPD that are needed to configure them?
  • Reply 30 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

Quote:

It might be worth noting that "US English" is a bastardisation of "English". This isn't an insult, I actually like the phonetic theories employed in "US English", it makes sense, though it isnt really "English".

I have to agree that it is frustrating to be unable to spell "realise" with the "s" instead of a "z" without getting that annoying red squiggle under it. There are many words like this, and for some that are more difficult it would be good to be able to spell check the "English" version.

All english speaking countries outside the US (yes, there are many) speak "English", so it should be catered for.
  • Reply 31 of 88
    nuttsnutts Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MunkVsTheWorld View Post

I have to agree that it is frustrating to be unable to spell "realise" with the "s" instead of a "z" without getting that annoying red squiggle under it. There are many words like this, and for some that are more difficult it would be good to be able to spell check the "English" version.

All english speaking countries outside the US (yes, there are many) speak "English", so it should be catered for.

If you're talking about spell-checking, in the Language list of the 'International' System Preferences just move 'British English' to the top of the list. Now you can type 'raise' without the squiggle.

Originally I thought the reference was to actual OS language and not just spell-checking.
  • Reply 32 of 88
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

I wonder if all of the drivers are included on install disk, but not installed by default. Then you would just need to customize your install.

A lot of them are, but not always the latest, and never paper profiles and the like.

Usually though, the ones I need are there.
  • Reply 33 of 88
    This is a LONG delayed feature that honestly Windows should have packed with it in XP. Windows has the largest market, so all hardware companies want to make sure they have the drivers for it, meaning Microsoft has access to the most robust database of drivers to download via an updater. But at the current moment I would say that Ubuntu has the best driver support when hardware is rarely build with linux in mind!

Its about time coporate America.
  • Reply 34 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielmaui View Post

This could be troublesome on the road at hotel business centers and such. I run a for-profit business center in a luxury resort, and the Macs have always been the easiest to plug into a printer via USB and be printing in seconds with no user interaction at all needed. Windows either doesn't have the driver, requires user interaction, and sometimes fails completely. The printers are standard HP LaserJets.

If the Macs aren't going to come with the drivers, then users will need to first connect to the Internet. And since we charge for Internet in the business center, they would need to pay for that as well. In my case, I would of course waive the charge for Internet access just to load a driver.

Of course, they could also just use a driver CD (unless they have a Macbook Air) in which case they could load from our USB Flash/Thumb drive.

The main point I want to make is that it won't be a simple plug-and-play situation anymore.

- Daniel

I would hope that they would allow the option of having the drivers loaded at installation if we so desired.
  • Reply 35 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

but canadians burnt down the white house in 1814... so how about it, eh?

But we saved England during WW II,so why bother?
  • Reply 36 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

Well chances are even if Apple does cut down on the drivers, there will still be a small handful of generic drivers installed. Does anyone know whether laser printers can provide the PPD that are needed to configure them?

You can find most profiles with Gutenprint:

http://openprinting.org/show_driver....ver=gutenprint

The DMG for OS X: http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php

What's also interesting is how Foomatic and OpenPrinting is coming along with CUPS. How this effects OS X most likely will be the convergence of PDF workflows.

Now, from the Foomatic 4.0.0 announcement that though it is at the Linux Foundation [OpenPrinting/Cups is very much Apple inclusive].

http://forums.linux-foundation.org/r...p?21,8139,8139

Foomatic OS X: http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Op...acOSX/foomatic

From the article you have a reference to the new CUPS 1.4 PPD Spec where suddenly you'll find some interesting answers to your question(s).

http://www.cups.org/documentation.ph.../spec-ppd.html

You also get a link to the standard overview and how it impacts printing.

OpenPrinting/PDF as standard Print Job Format

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Op...int_Job_Format

-------------

There is a lot of information to research on OpenPrinting and CUPS. With Apple owning and extending CUPS in OS X moving forward, you can expect a lot of work within both communities [Linux & OS X] to overlap with differences being at the appkit levels for their various desktop environments.
  • Reply 37 of 88
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

Don't most of us do this already??

Whenever I do a fresh install of Leopard or earlier, I always only check the print drivers for the printers in my home, only Epson. Why would I need Lexmark or HP or Canon drivers? I never print wirelessly when out and about so no worries there about running into a strange printer on a network.

I tended to forget, it's a button that just doesn't catch my eye when it shows up.

As an aside, I hate to type in all the registration crap that the OS X installer requires, is there a way to by pass that? That just puts me off of trying to do an OS install. I'm much better off making a small partition a clean OS install and cloning it when I need to.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezekiahb View Post

Ok, 3rd time I've seen this argument so I gotta respond.

Your printer came with disks, on those disks is a driver. Pop the disk in your CD-ROM & install those drivers. Boom, all done! Of course who is to say that the install disk won't have all existing drivers on it that you can download. They're trimming the footprint of the OS, not the install disk.

Still need internet to get latest & greatest but how is that any different from now? Seriously people.

I don't know about you, but for me, the manufacturer generally tends to include crap for drivers, and they tend to install odd helper apps that I usually don't want. Usually those drivers are about a year out of date even when I buy the printer new, and use an installer that looks like it somehow managed to survive since the OS 9 days. I'd generally rather use the plain CUPS drivers if possible.
  • Reply 38 of 88
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Ahhhhh

First printer drivers ..next SU for 3rd party applications.

One could only hope. I've been waiting for 3rd party software support in Software Update for years now!

I know some people are gonna laugh but, what about people on dialup still? They are not gonna try and download an 80 MB printer driver on dialup. So I agree, they should still include them on the installer DVD, just make it so no printer drivers install by default. Or they could somehow look at what printers are connected during the installation and install them from the DVD as its installing OS X.
  • Reply 39 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by columbus View Post

Mac OS 8.5.1 does, use that instead.

Hopefully Apple will review. It made sense as a cost cutting measure as Apple got back to good financial health, but now they must have a big enough UK installed base to justify it.

I still remember going to help someone with their Mac many years ago and seeing the Wastebasket on their desktop.

I sympathize with all those who would like a more localized Mac experience and understand the market in the UK is larger than Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Finland put together. However, whether they like it or not, the people of the UK can understand how to use a computer running US English.

If Apple wants to be the leader of the 21st century they really need system-wide support for Arabic plus the major languages of southern Asia and eastern Europe.
  • Reply 40 of 88
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

That was exactly the final straw that broke me away from Windows. After years of issues with windows, I ended up with a new laptop with vista, could not print and also could not connect to the Internet. I desperately needed to print and ended up buying a new router just to get hold of the drivers from the net. I swore then to switch.

So it's makes me wary to see that same scenario looming in this feature.

Let me get this straight. It's Microsoft's fault that you didn't have internet access and you are the idiot that went out and bought a brand new router to get a fricking driver?

Either you live in a box or you know no one on the planet that you could have gone to and used their computer. Either way, you shouldn't be using a computer Mac or PC.