Might be buying a Mac

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi, ive been looking for an all in one computer, and while iMacs do seem a bit overpriced they are still on my shortlist.

now i have a lot of questions, and oddly my google searches turn up some pretty poor results (lots of contradictions) so i figured i'd ask here, a friend of mine that uses macs suggested this site for good informative help.

1. When i update ram, which i see is very easy, can the ram speed be better than what originally came in the system, and do the mother boards accept more than 4gb of ram, or can i put in 8gb? (im looking at the 3.06 ghz model)

2. when did this version of the iMac come out, i'll be buying this computer at the end of the summer, in alaska we get checks from the state, roughly $2,000, this is how i'll be purchasing the computer. if a new version will likely be out shortly after that, i'll certainly wait.

3. can you upgrade anything other than ram? i noticed an 8800gs option, could i put a 8800gt in there? im not looking for the most powerful computer, however i'd like it to play a few games, like the sims 3.

4. can i use only windows on the system, no OSX at all? would this speed up my windows programs vs. using windows over OSX?

5. is there anything else that i would need to know, i have very little experience with Macs, normally didnt like them, but the last one i used was the imac with the little dome base with the screen popping out of it (and it crashed all the time for me, and the mouse was horrible)

anyway, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmilinGoat View Post

Hi, ive been looking for an all in one computer, and while iMacs do seem a bit overpriced they are still on my shortlist.

now i have a lot of questions, and oddly my google searches turn up some pretty poor results (lots of contradictions) so i figured i'd ask here, a friend of mine that uses macs suggested this site for good informative help.

1. When i update ram, which i see is very easy, can the ram speed be better than what originally came in the system, and do the mother boards accept more than 4gb of ram, or can i put in 8gb? (im looking at the 3.06 ghz model)

2. when did this version of the iMac come out, i'll be buying this computer at the end of the summer, in alaska we get checks from the state, roughly $2,000, this is how i'll be purchasing the computer. if a new version will likely be out shortly after that, i'll certainly wait.

3. can you upgrade anything other than ram? i noticed an 8800gs option, could i put a 8800gt in there? im not looking for the most powerful computer, however i'd like it to play a few games, like the sims 3.

4. can i use only windows on the system, no OSX at all? would this speed up my windows programs vs. using windows over OSX?

5. is there anything else that i would need to know, i have very little experience with Macs, normally didnt like them, but the last one i used was the imac with the little dome base with the screen popping out of it (and it crashed all the time for me, and the mouse was horrible)

anyway, thanks in advance.

1. Usually you can put faster RAM into the computer and it should clock itself down. However, its not always the case. Its best to stick with the speed of RAM that it shipped with. Currently, iMacs max RAM is 4GB (limitation of the chipset).

2. The iMac hasn't been updated since I think last April. Its due for an update and should come soon. If you plan on purchasing in the summer it should be updated by then (no guarantees!)

3. The video card in the 24" iMac is removable, however there isn't an upgrade available for it. You're basically stuck with whatever you buy it with.

4. Buying a Mac just to use Windows would be pointless IMO. You'd be better off getting a Dell, or HP all-in-one. The greatest part of the Mac is the operating system. You can purchase either Parallels or VM ware Fusion which will allow you to run Windows inside of OS X. I run parallels everyday on my new MacBook and it runs fast. You probably won't notice too many differences in speed vs just using Windows natively from the HD.

5. I guess if you plan on using the Mac full time you'll eventually need to switch your software over. Most general things are OS X compatible such as Office 2008 for Mac, Photoshop, etc. If you have a question about any kind of software feel free to ask. Someone here will help you out as best they can.

When using OS X you just gotta get used to using it. Its not Windows, so don't expect it to run like Windows. Things are going to be called different names, in different places, etc. Below are some great links to check out off Apple's website:

FAQ

Switch 101

There's another article that explains the differences in commands and familiar places from Windows and where they are on the Mac side. If I find that article on Apple's website I'll post it here.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

1. Usually you can put faster RAM into the computer and it should clock itself down. However, its not always the case. Its best to stick with the speed of RAM that it shipped with. Currently, iMacs max RAM is 4GB (limitation of the chipset).

2. The iMac hasn't been updated since I think last April. Its due for an update and should come soon. If you plan on purchasing in the summer it should be updated by then (no guarantees!)

3. The video card in the 24" iMac is removable, however there isn't an upgrade available for it. You're basically stuck with whatever you buy it with.

4. Buying a Mac just to use Windows would be pointless IMO. You'd be better off getting a Dell, or HP all-in-one. The greatest part of the Mac is the operating system. You can purchase either Parallels or VM ware Fusion which will allow you to run Windows inside of OS X. I run parallels everyday on my new MacBook and it runs fast. You probably won't notice too many differences in speed vs just using Windows natively from the HD.

5. I guess if you plan on using the Mac full time you'll eventually need to switch your software over. Most general things are OS X compatible such as Office 2008 for Mac, Photoshop, etc. If you have a question about any kind of software feel free to ask. Someone here will help you out as best they can.

When using OS X you just gotta get used to using it. Its not Windows, so don't expect it to run like Windows. Things are going to be called different names, in different places, etc. Below are some great links to check out off Apple's website:

FAQ

Switch 101

There's another article that explains the differences in commands and familiar places from Windows and where they are on the Mac side. If I find that article on Apple's website I'll post it here.

thanks for posting this.

i do wish that the RAM could be upgraded, maybe the updated version will support more ram and faster at that. i also wish there were more video cards that could fit inside of it, i have to ask, does this mean that Nvidia is just making the cards for apples, so the card in the Mac is not usable with any other computer?

honestly the main reason i want the mac is because its an all in one, i move around the country a lot (from Mass. to Oregon to Washington to Alaska etc....) but laptops really dont work for me. i may use the OSX side of things if its more stable than it was 3-4 years ago. The problem i have with the HP is the screen, its horrible, and considering its one of the things you can not change, and the thing that you use to interact with the computer this is a very big flaw imo. The dell is nice, but its also a lot more bulky when you get the 24inch model with the added speakers on the side. now the dell is still in the running, but right now i just feel better about the Mac.

I will probably just partition the Hard drive half windows and half OSX. i will probably start to purchase things for OSX in the future, i just wanted to be sure that my old Windows programs will work if i put windows on the mac... which it seems that it will.

anyway thanks again.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    also if anyone is willing, bored enough, i would be interested to hear some of the features to OSX (and the upcoming one... 10.5 i think) that are the big reasons people stick with macs once they get them. more and more that i know have been getting them, there must be a reason for it. again i have looked a reviews, and have seen some in person... but a lot of that might be more gimmicky once you get it in your home.

any of you that have used Windows for years and switched, i wouldnt mind hearing your thoughts to why you switched.