Mac OS X Snow Leopard Server to pioneer ZFS ahead of desktop

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    Speaking as a former sysadmin of 13 years:

ZFS is a nerd toy.

It has its applications in a datacenter, but for a small business server, a household server, or a household computer, it is superfluous and completely unnecessary.

I agree with Apple potentially fleshing ZFS out with OSX Server first, perhaps only adding read/write capabilities into OSX Client so clients can read/write to ZFS drives.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    The copy-on-write snapshots are only a nerd toy while they're tied to the command-line. Tie them into Time Machine and you've opened up document versions directly to users. Imagine this scenario: you're using your laptop away from home and open up Time Machine, you see file history every 15 minutes back to the time you last had a remote Time Machine backup. When you connect to your home network Time Machine automatically syncs one or more of those snapshots to the backup device. If you open Time Machine while at home you'll see your history going back much further. Not a geek toy, a game changer.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    Today's "nerd toys" are tomorrows' reality.
  • Reply 24 of 54
    I think people are missing/did not think about 2 things when contemplating ZFS on Notebooks/Desktops:

1. ZFS has compression ability, and unline HFS+ in SL, ZFS can compress all files, not only read-only files. Think about your personal text documents/software project source codes consuming much less space, not only system files.

2. Snapshots in ZFS, like in NTFS, are consistent - that means when you "hit the button" to create a snapshot, it takes some time, but if any modification happens during creating of snapshot, it is correctly marked as not part of the snapshot being created. Then, you can send (AFAIK with "zfs send") just the blocks that changed between snapshots to the backup drive over network or USB. That means if you create a backup at 14:00, the backup will have your files as they appeared at 14:00 sharp. All of them. Time machine, on the other hand, is AFAIK inconsistent - if it has a set of files that changed during last hour and are being copied to the backup drive, and in the middle of the copying, some file that has not yet been copied is modified, the modified version, not the one intended to be backed up, gets backed up. Which is a problem if you need to have a consistent backup of a group of files. Also, Time machine currently copies whole files instead of changed blocks (which is a big hurdle for bigger files) as someone already mentioned.

Yes, Apple did make some changes to HFS+ for Time Machine, but these were related to easier storage of the backup, not with consistency of the backup.

So I think these features would do great on desktop
  • Reply 25 of 54
    Quick, possibly stupid question. Is data parity or striping also part of ZFS? I just read a lot about redundancy, which is still cool and all, just wondering...

I actually learned quite a bit from this article and your comments, looks pretty awesome to me, some features can be implemented on the consumer side too.
  • Reply 26 of 54
    I wonder why anyone would be naive enough to fall for Apple's server hype again. If you've never dealt with OS X Server before, my advice would be, don't bother. Apple does not get the server market, they will leave you hanging with serious ongoing issues for years to come. They always introduce new features and neglect basic stability or improvements to previous features. I would not be surprised AT ALL if Apple decided, in the next few years or so, to drop ZFS altogether and try to fiddle with something else.

I've been installing Mac OS Servers for over 12 years and I cannot recommend them to anyone anymore. Although Windows 2003 has less features than OS X Server, with Windows you'll be able to at least sleep at night.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I wonder why anyone would be naive enough to fall for Apple's server hype again. If you've never dealt with OS X Server before, my advice would be, don't bother. Apple does not get the server market, they will leave you hanging with serious ongoing issues for years to come. They always introduce new features and neglect basic stability or improvements to previous features. I would not be surprised AT ALL if Apple decided, in the next few years or so, to drop ZFS altogether and try to fiddle with something else.

I've been installing Mac OS Servers for over 12 years and I cannot recommend them to anyone anymore. Although Windows 2003 has less features than OS X Server, with Windows you'll be able to at least sleep at night.

The US Military's website is powered by OS X Server. Seems to work alright for them.

Speaking as a former sysadmin of 13 years, Windows Server 2003 does not ensure a sound night's sleep under any circumstances. No matter how well it is configured.
  • Reply 28 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Alpha quality? Really? It's standard in OpenSolaris 2008.11.

Do you honestly think Apple's state of ZFS is alpha? Try again.

Reading is hard. But it's ok, you'll get the hang of it one day.
  • Reply 29 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by etandrib View Post

When I read this article I was thinking "AppleTV, Apple Home Server, Apple iTunes Server". ZFS seems to fit in with a home server product and the AppleTV like potatoes and gravy. The question is when will it happen.

Probably when a pretty stable version of ZFS hits for embedded devices. Not saying that it can't be done now as http://dattobackup.com/zseries-models.php makes ZFS based NAS now and FreeNAS will be supporting ZFS with ver .70 and on.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

I'm waiting for this also. I think it may come sooner than we are expecting. This just makes so much sense to do for a product like a media server.

A question for the more technical folk out there, how does ZFS differ from what the people at Drobo are doing? Is it the same technology?

Drobo is a lot like ZFS with the pooled storage including redundancy or Isilon clustered storage. Of course the devil is in the details and Drobo's system is proprietary and from what I can tell undocumented.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post

Speaking as a former sysadmin of 13 years:

ZFS is a nerd toy.

It has its applications in a datacenter, but for a small business server, a household server, or a household computer, it is superfluous and completely unnecessary.

I agree with Apple potentially fleshing ZFS out with OSX Server first, perhaps only adding read/write capabilities into OSX Client so clients can read/write to ZFS drives.

Interesting Vandil why do you feel this way? I think it depends on how you define Small Biz as well. There's huge movement towards backing up Direct 2 Disk and everyone from the Enterprise to SMB are taking advantage of low cost disk storage. I see ZFS as being as valuable to computing users in general as any other filesystem running today. If you're a smaller business and you lose a significant amount of data you've got probably a %60 chance of going out of business.

Quote:

The only problem though is that OS X server has been workable for what 2 versions now? Apple has a lot to learn about supporting businesses but I'm not so sullen about the future prospects of OS X server.

If Apple were to drop ZFS it would be for something better which I cannot imagine right now.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    I think the end user has the most to benefit from using ZFS! faster I/O performance and greater efficiency is good enough. ZFS on laptop is also quite amazing

http://blogs.sun.com/erickustarz/entry/zfs_on_a_laptop

I think the greater question is how many apps will 'break' in consumer versions. I would presume an update from Apple would solve that. Any thoughts?
  • Reply 31 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post

The US Military's website is powered by OS X Server. Seems to work alright for them.

Speaking as a former sysadmin of 13 years, Windows Server 2003 does not ensure a sound night's sleep under any circumstances. No matter how well it is configured.

The military moved to WebStar on Mac OS 9 due to the security flaws found in WebDAV on Win NT and later 2000.

OS X uses Apache and Apple Mail server, the U.S. Military uses neither of the two.

If you think Windows 2003 does not ensure a sound night's sleep, you should try OS X Server.
  • Reply 32 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

The only problem though is that OS X server has been workable for what 2 versions now? Apple has a lot to learn about supporting businesses but I'm not so sullen about the future prospects of OS X server.

If Apple were to drop ZFS it would be for something better which I cannot imagine right now.

The OS X Server software was never a robust software, only hype.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    Quote:

It's never been a core part of their strategy. I always get a kick out of the whole "Apple chasing the Enterprise" stuff that constantly floats to the surface.

Though at any rate I think ZFS has a future on Macs. Apple's leveraged Sun's DTrace and I think ZFS will be the next Sun technology that sees some attention from Apple.
  • Reply 34 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

It's never been a core part of their strategy. I always get a kick out of the whole "Apple chasing the Enterprise" stuff that constantly floats to the surface.

Though at any rate I think ZFS has a future on Macs. Apple's leveraged Sun's DTrace and I think ZFS will be the next Sun technology that sees some attention from Apple.

I think Apple is looking forward to where their business might take them post iPhone. A lot of large law firms, medical firms, hospitals, and other visual reliant communication jobs are taking a new look at Apple. Apple has potential to work from the ground up on developing a server client that satisfies what these companies need. ZFS is a starting point. I bet there will be some really easy file sharing implementations of ZFS with the copy write transaction model - if the iPhone then could take advantage of, or anyone in the network - big bonus compared to Windows.
  • Reply 35 of 54
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Odd you say that. I've been running OS X Server 10.*3* since the day it came out, and 10.2 before that... never had a problem. Granted, it's for a smallish business, but web, imap, blah blah blah, it was dirt simple to set up, and it's never given me so much as a hiccup.

In fact, it's been so solid, I never saw the need to upgrade to 10.4 or 10.5 versions.

(And you're just plain wrong on one point - OS X Server has used the cyrus mail server since 10.3. Apple Mail Server was only 10.0-10.2.)
  • Reply 36 of 54
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MShock View Post

I think Apple is looking forward to where their business might take them post iPhone. A lot of large law firms, medical firms, hospitals, and other visual reliant communication jobs are taking a new look at Apple. Apple has potential to work from the ground up on developing a server client that satisfies what these companies need. ZFS is a starting point. I bet there will be some really easy file sharing implementations of ZFS with the copy write transaction model - if the iPhone then could take advantage of, or anyone in the network - big bonus compared to Windows.

We really haven't even tapped some of the unique featurs of ZFS that few speak about.

For instance :

L2ARC

Quote:

The "ARC" is the ZFS main memory cache (in DRAM), which can be accessed with sub microsecond latency. An ARC read miss would normally read from disk, at millisecond latency (especially random reads). The L2ARC sits in-between, extending the main memory cache using fast storage devices - such as flash memory based SSDs (solid state disks).

What is L2ARC?

The L2ARC is best pictured as a cache layer in-between main memory and disk, using flash memory based SSDs or other fast devices as storage. It holds non-dirty ZFS data, and is currently intended to improve the performance of random read workloads.

ZIL-ZFS Intent Log

Quote:

So, you may well ask, what is this ZFS Intent Log? ZFS is always consistent on disk due to its transaction model. Unix system calls can be considered as transactions which are aggregated into a transaction group for performance and committed together periodically. Either everything commits or nothing does. That is, if a power goes out, then the transactions in the pool are never partial. This commitment happens fairly infrequently - typically a few seconds between each transaction group commit.

Some applications, such as databases, need assurance that say the data they wrote or mkdir they just executed is on stable storage, and so they request synchronous semantics such as O_DSYNC (when opening a file), or execute fsync(fd) after a series of changes to a file descriptor. Obviously waiting seconds for the transaction group to commit before returning from the system call is not a high performance solution. Thus the ZFS Intent Log (ZIL) was born.

Pondering the potential for a more beefy database like core to OS X with something like ZIL logging on SSD. Make my wonder how many tasks in OS X call for synchronous writes.
  • Reply 37 of 54
    wow! really good point. Something like that would be ridiculously competitive in government operations (for example individual state ops were I work). A good database core is what prevents us from moving away from microsoft - but if there was a solution to port or read our databases with opensource / Apple and get these types of features at lower cost than microsoft - DONE!

I wonder the implications now for FileMaker? I also wonder how this will handle large libraries like an iTunes library - maybe more like database? photo, music, and movies are being stored more like a database with so many to a hard drive....
  • Reply 38 of 54
    Doesn't Leopard implement a new filesystem API?

In theory, shouldn't it be relatively easy to drop in a new filesystem underneath that API? Granted, there would have to be tons of QA done and a multitude of bugfixes done to that API, as well as more work done to Apple's ZFS port. Still, it doesn't seem so outrageous for Apple to do away with HFS+ completely as the default filesystem and more to ZFS.

Is there something I'm missing?
  • Reply 39 of 54
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

Doesn't Leopard implement a new filesystem API?

In theory, shouldn't it be relatively easy to drop in a new filesystem underneath that API? Granted, there would have to be tons of QA done and a multitude of bugfixes done to that API, as well as more work done to Apple's ZFS port. Still, it doesn't seem so outrageous for Apple to do away with HFS+ completely as the default filesystem and more to ZFS.

Is there something I'm missing?

I remember reading something like this as well. Though I never assumed that a filesystem replacement or augmentation would be trivial.

I could totally see Apple moving to ZFS as the default system by 10.7. By then they could integrate everything with polish and 10.7 will be the first feature release after "featureless" Snow Leopard. Sounds like as good a time as any.
  • Reply 40 of 54
    First of all let me say that this article seriously underestimates ZFS with regards to quality and feature set.

I've been using ZFS on my mac for a month now and I never want to go back again. Yes, there are some UX issues with finder and trash, but that's worth living with.

Check out my blog post and better yet, give ZFS a try - if you like your data, you won't be disappointed.

http://blog.igorminar.com/2009/01/us...-os-x-105.html